Each time we book a new location for vacation, we feel like it's a bit of a gamble. We decided to roll the dice on the Halcyon Cove in Antigua this time and we are sure glad we did! As with most things, what works for some will not work for all but I have to say, this resort worked very well for us.
Our biggest factors when going on vacation are: clean rooms, good food, great beach. This one had it all. We were travelling with our teenage daughter, and some resorts would not allow 3 "adults" in one room but it was no problem at Halcyon. In fact, our room was huge - more than enough room for all three of us. Although I think we were considered "gardenview", we had a great ocean view. The room was very clean and cleaned spotless every day. Air conditioning worked great and kept us cool. The food was very tasty and there was no problem at all to find something to please each of us at each and every meal. (the pineapple crumble - to die for!) Beach was great! In fact, our beach was way better than the beach at the luxury resort next door. I echo other reviews that say there is not a lot of activities going on - again, this suits us just fine. We would rather seek out what we want than be bombarded. Evening entertainment was just enough for us. Beach vendors were respectful and polite - no issue there.
We did 3 excursions and would highly recommend each one. The "Best of Antigua" tour - a "private" tour (up to 4 people in a clean, comfortable SUV). Natasha was a fantastic tour guide who took us all over the island all day long and hit all the highlights, personallized to what we wanted to see ($100 each). Excellent! Also did the Stingray City - absolutely great experience and great value ($50 plus a taxi ride). A must do in our opinion, even though we are not fans of either water or fish! Finally, we did the Excellence Barbuda cruiser to the island of Barbuda for the day. 90 minute boat ride to the sister island, beach time at a couple of beaches including the famous pink sand, small boat tour to the Frigate bird sanctuary with the locals, and a great tasting lunch. ($150 per person)
We have travelled many places in the Caribbean and elsewhere and have lots to compare too. Antigua is definitely way up there on the list of places to return to.
If you are looking for a luxury accommodations and activity filled vacation, this may not be the place/resort for you. But if you are looking for a quality resort of great value, we highly recommend Halcyon Cove.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and TripOnline SA so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua