“AWESOME RESORT!”

Jumby Bay Island
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed September 28, 2006

Dear fellow travelers,

From time to time to time I come to this site to read what others think about resorts/islands that I have visited. After reading the last post, I feel compelled to post my opinion.

My husband and I went to Jumby Bay in May for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we were treated with utmost respect and provided with impeccable service.

As far as the AC, you have to know going to any island...it's going to be hot. I would not suggest going to any caribbean island if you do not like heat. The AC is adequate. At Jumby, It is located on the wall next to the bed, so it was not a problem for us. We were only in the room during the evening anyway. The room itself was huge!

The food was good, the service was excellent. They attended to our every need. The house wine was just fine (and I drink wine often).
The beach was gorgeous and quite every day of our stay, which was 7 nights. We also met some very interesting people from the UK. We often met them for drinks before or after dinner.

On our departure, the airport DID have priority check-in for 1st class. I guess it depends on the airline you are traveling on. We flew American Airlines and they had their own terminal on the side of the airport. We weren't in long lines at all. As far as the airport itself...of course it was not the Taj Majal...it's a Caribbean airport. The post that was made prior to this one has obviously never visited Jamaica or St. Lucia's airports (no AC).

It was a very relaxing and romantic honeymoon for us. We enjoyed ourselves and each other. And trust me, we are very picky when it comes to travel!

* Stingray City was a blast!
*Go visit Bird Island and hike to the top...take your camera!
*Visit Nelson's Dockyard
*Take a cab to Shirley Heights
*If you can go the last week of April...the boat races are a sight to behold!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank givemebeach
There are newer reviews for Jumby Bay Island

Reviewed September 28, 2006

I am quite shocked by the last review posted for Jumby Bay...My husband and I just returned from 7 glorious nights at Jumby and plan to return this winter with our two children. We travel quite frequently to hotels/resorts in the US, Europe, Asia and the Carib. We found the staff at Jumby Bay to be the best in the Carib, by day two they knew our names, likes/dislikes and truly cared about creating a positive experience for us - I repeat experience - as one of the managers explained we are not just a resort but a private island experience. Our suite was luxurious and filled with old world/carib charm (we have not found this in the newer Carib lux resorts), most important the a/c worked pefectly! Our mahoghany four poster bed was a work of art - when I inquired how to purchase the Front Office Manager advised they were custom made for the resort years ago but she would find the contact details of the designer, she did so and presented to me a few days later. With regard to the culinary experience at Jumby, food is a very subjective topic and it is hard to please all. The food at Jumby met our expectations and the chefs were happy to prepare special Carib dishes for us upon request. Just one more comment I feel important to share, Jumby Bay has the most amazing service for avid readers called Hot Type - Jumby is privee to a large selection of novels available for guest to 'borrow' during their visit - the neat thing is the novels are avail at Jumby prior to distribution in book stores.
We look forward to our return visit to Jumby Bay!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jojomonty
Reviewed September 24, 2006

The day we arrived, there were several people leaving early which was an ominous sign - we soon realised why. Here are some of the lowlights:

We had read about the air conditioning on this site, but stupidly thought that if we contacted Jumby up front we could resolve it. They promised us we would be in a room with new AC, what we got was 4 days of an AC unit which sounded like a freight train - we were unable to sleep. There was Zero interest from the onshore management and the problem was only resolved when I contacted Rosehood HQ in Dallas to find someone who understood the problem. It did get resolved.

Antigua airport is a filthy shack - no lounges or priority check in, no stores etc

If you are someone who thinks 'charm' is having your food thrown down in front of you by surly waiters then this is for you. The service was the worst we have ever experienced, there is noone in charge of the restaurants, your meal is brought to you by 10 different people, no one appears to have been trained on any of the most basic waitering skills (pouring a lady's wine first)

The food was awful - well below the standards in any above average restaurant. We tried sending it back then gave up. We looked forward to buffet night so we could get some salad rather than go home hungry (there are no snacks)

We walked off the ferry expecting a classy resort - what we got was yobs in england footbal strips getting drunk at midday, before entering the water for lots of noisy games

House wine was undrinkable - we were forced to purchase wine every night

Take books, bizarrely there is a store but it doesnt sell books (on a beach Island??!!) so you have to travel to the mainland, which is squalid

In short, this was without doubt the worst 'luxury' experience we have ever had. We are regular guests at the Mansion on Turtle Creek (Rosewood's flagship resort) and Jumby bay is light years away from that hotel in terms of service, cleanliness and food. The resort manager was unwilling to accept the faults and inspite of out bad experiences I had to argue to have the bill reduced.

I would urge anyone considering this place to re-think. Rosewood management knows they have a problem with the resort which they are 'working through' - I suggest you let them work through it on someone elses money, c.$1k per day is simply off the scale for what you get at Jumby.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Paul_Hamill
Reviewed September 5, 2006

After reading some of the negative reviews about Jumby Bay on this site we were quite worried having already booked our trip and spent so much money. Having experienced Jumby Bay I'd say a lot of these reviewers are being very, very picky indeed. So I'll try to give my honest opinion about Jumby Bay.

Weather - we stayed end of May/early June for 2 weeks and had about 10mins of rain in that time. According to the locals they hadn't had rain for weeks and were praying for it because all of the plants were dying. The hotel also told us that during January, their peak season, it had rained for 1 week. Just goes to show how unpredictable the Caribbean weather can be.

Rooms - we booked a standard Oceanview Room which was in the Pond House Bay rooms and it was gorgeous. Huge double bed, walk in shower, big room and a lovely terrace with sun loungers and a table and chairs with a sea view. Cannot complain about the room except the turn down service is a bit hit and miss. Some times you'd get back from dinner and the a/c was on, petals in toilet, cd on and sometimes not! The a/c is not up to standard you'd find in the US but we found it more than adequate with the ceiling fan on at the same time

Food - breakfast was fantastic with both buffet and menu available, each morning we had a warm welcome from Adelza and her team. Lunch was excellent too with a buffet every day and a menu to choose from. Fresh fish of the day was delicious. Red, white and rose house wine on offer throughout lunch and all of this sitting by the beach. Dinner was excellent quality at the Estate House. Make sure you go early and have a pre-dinner cocktail on the terrace above the restaurant, I can highly recommend the lemon drop martinis! Chef Frederic was lovely and offered to cook us anything we liked for dinner with some notice. Dessert is fabulous with such an amazing selection as well as cheese and biscuits. Again all house red and white wine is free and perfectly drinkable but if you want something from their extremely extensive wine list you pay extra. My partner felt like it was going out for your favourite meal every night and got a bit sick of it but I loved it! Twice a week the Estate House shuts and you have to eat at the Verandah restaurant (where you have lunch and breakfast). One night is an International Buffet and the other a Barbecue. Both were lovely with plenty of selection. I have to say that I'm really, really fussy about the quality of food on holiday and it can ruin my holiday if I'm not happy but Jumby Bay is excellent.

Drinks - everything is free except for bottles of wine from the menu in the Estate House. We had unlimited cocktails, top brand spirits and house wine which was very nice. On a couple of nights we asked for a bottle of house wine to be uncorked so we could take it back to our room and were not charged for this. Also free is their 'Champagne' which is Argentinian Cava but very nice it is too.

Beach - beautiful and so quiet! I think it's spoilt me for all of the rest of my holidays. No need to get there early to reserve beds there are plenty to go around. They provide floaters, like rubber lilos for you to float in the sea, and chairs that you can sit on in the water! Before lunch one of the beach bar guys will bring round delicious sorbet in waffle cones for you and the beach bar cocktails are fantastic.

Getting there - we managed to knock quite a bit from the Virgin price by going through an independant travel agent and flying from Gatwick with First Choice. First Choice are brilliant and we upgraded to Premium for about £50 each which meant our luggage was loaded & unloaded first, bubbly on arrival, free movies, choice of menu served on china plates, free drinks, extra leg room, comfy padded seats etc. well worth it. Jumby Bay arranged a towncar to pick us up at the airport and drove us 10 minutes to the ferry where we were met with cold face towels and cold rum punch. Dion was waiting on the jetty at Jumby Bay and made us feel really welcome, driving us to our room by Golf cart.

Staff - here's the thing!! Genevieve, Stratty, Shelly, Anselmo, Dion, Kerry, Adelza were all lovely and most of the staff would say 'Hi' when you pass them in the resort. The chef Frederic was really lovely and took time to chat to us on the ferry one day. The only thing I would mention is keep all of your valuables in the safe! They have an open room policy but whilst we were there we had money and cigarettes stolen and also a couple in the same block also had money taken. To be fair to Jumby Bay we were 'interviewed' by their head of Security before we left but heard nothing else and were never reimbursed for the $100 that had been taken. I have even waited to post this because I wanted to give them the chance to write to us and let us know what the out come was but over 2 months later, nothing.

Other than the problem we had the resort is gorgeous, yes it's not cheap but where else can you stay on what is really a private island for that price? I have lovely memories of Antigua and Jumby Bay and I'm sure one day we'll go back there, in the meantime there's so much of the world to see...

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Beachbabe101
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We were greeted at the ferry to Jumby Bay with a cold facecloth and an even colder rum drink! After a short ferry ride, we were shown to our luxurious villa. The staff and services at Jumby Bay are top shelf and after spending time with Jenny, Elaine, Stratty, Patricia, Kenny,and Shelly, we can not wait to return. Jumby Bay is like no place else we have ever been. The accomodations were perfect, the water was clean and beautiful, the food was excellent( what is better than having a gourmet burger and a cold beer for lunch while looking out over the beautiful beach?). I highly reccomend the helicopter trip over Monserrat, If you decide to take a trip into St. John's, try Commisioners Grill for lunch. A definite to do is to sign up to meet with the women who run the Hawksbill Turtle project, they are amazing!

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a little hesitant about Jumby Bay. I feel that these reviews are totally unfounded,if you arrive at a location looking to complain, I guarantee you will find something to complain about. We met so many couples of all ages from all over the world who we had dinner and drinks with. I think because it is somewhat secluded,you really feel that Jumby Bay is your own personal island.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank TKN
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I am so surprised to see the not so great reviews. I felt that I was pampered my every employee here. This is the Caribbean, everyone is on "Island time." You must understand this going in. The food was outstanding. Chef Frederic and his staff go out of there way to make you happy. I was very impressed with all of the employees. Each time I passed one they would always stop to say hello. I arrived late and was greeted by the night manager and she explained to resort to me. I ran into her a couple of days later and she remembered my name. I went on the sunset cruise and waS FANTASTIC. All your drinks and they also served some delicious snacks. I can't wait to return

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank ChefJeff
Reviewed July 19, 2006

let me start with what a fabulous island. my husband and i travel every year to the caribbean looking for that unique setting. we've been to antiqua many times, but this was our first trip to jumby bay. we've been wanting to visit there for many years, but wondered if it was worth the extra dollars. well i'm glad we didn't wait any longer, it was everything we were looking for, it was wonderful. the beach is spectacular, the food was great, the service excellent, our room was beautiful. we've already booked our next visit for this year. can't wait to go back, and pedal around the island, and have sorbet while relaxing on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay Island? Share your experiences!