“Disaster - a 2 star experience at best... avoid at all costs”

Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
US
“Disaster - a 2 star experience at best... avoid at all costs”
Reviewed September 24, 2006

The day we arrived, there were several people leaving early which was an ominous sign - we soon realised why. Here are some of the lowlights:

We had read about the air conditioning on this site, but stupidly thought that if we contacted Jumby up front we could resolve it. They promised us we would be in a room with new AC, what we got was 4 days of an AC unit which sounded like a freight train - we were unable to sleep. There was Zero interest from the onshore management and the problem was only resolved when I contacted Rosehood HQ in Dallas to find someone who understood the problem. It did get resolved.

Antigua airport is a filthy shack - no lounges or priority check in, no stores etc

If you are someone who thinks 'charm' is having your food thrown down in front of you by surly waiters then this is for you. The service was the worst we have ever experienced, there is noone in charge of the restaurants, your meal is brought to you by 10 different people, no one appears to have been trained on any of the most basic waitering skills (pouring a lady's wine first)

The food was awful - well below the standards in any above average restaurant. We tried sending it back then gave up. We looked forward to buffet night so we could get some salad rather than go home hungry (there are no snacks)

We walked off the ferry expecting a classy resort - what we got was yobs in england footbal strips getting drunk at midday, before entering the water for lots of noisy games

House wine was undrinkable - we were forced to purchase wine every night

Take books, bizarrely there is a store but it doesnt sell books (on a beach Island??!!) so you have to travel to the mainland, which is squalid

In short, this was without doubt the worst 'luxury' experience we have ever had. We are regular guests at the Mansion on Turtle Creek (Rosewood's flagship resort) and Jumby bay is light years away from that hotel in terms of service, cleanliness and food. The resort manager was unwilling to accept the faults and inspite of out bad experiences I had to argue to have the bill reduced.

I would urge anyone considering this place to re-think. Rosewood management knows they have a problem with the resort which they are 'working through' - I suggest you let them work through it on someone elses money, c.$1k per day is simply off the scale for what you get at Jumby.

• Disliked — see review
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Paul_Hamill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Worcester
Reviewed September 5, 2006

After reading some of the negative reviews about Jumby Bay on this site we were quite worried having already booked our trip and spent so much money. Having experienced Jumby Bay I'd say a lot of these reviewers are being very, very picky indeed. So I'll try to give my honest opinion about Jumby Bay.

Weather - we stayed end of May/early June for 2 weeks and had about 10mins of rain in that time. According to the locals they hadn't had rain for weeks and were praying for it because all of the plants were dying. The hotel also told us that during January, their peak season, it had rained for 1 week. Just goes to show how unpredictable the Caribbean weather can be.

Rooms - we booked a standard Oceanview Room which was in the Pond House Bay rooms and it was gorgeous. Huge double bed, walk in shower, big room and a lovely terrace with sun loungers and a table and chairs with a sea view. Cannot complain about the room except the turn down service is a bit hit and miss. Some times you'd get back from dinner and the a/c was on, petals in toilet, cd on and sometimes not! The a/c is not up to standard you'd find in the US but we found it more than adequate with the ceiling fan on at the same time

Food - breakfast was fantastic with both buffet and menu available, each morning we had a warm welcome from Adelza and her team. Lunch was excellent too with a buffet every day and a menu to choose from. Fresh fish of the day was delicious. Red, white and rose house wine on offer throughout lunch and all of this sitting by the beach. Dinner was excellent quality at the Estate House. Make sure you go early and have a pre-dinner cocktail on the terrace above the restaurant, I can highly recommend the lemon drop martinis! Chef Frederic was lovely and offered to cook us anything we liked for dinner with some notice. Dessert is fabulous with such an amazing selection as well as cheese and biscuits. Again all house red and white wine is free and perfectly drinkable but if you want something from their extremely extensive wine list you pay extra. My partner felt like it was going out for your favourite meal every night and got a bit sick of it but I loved it! Twice a week the Estate House shuts and you have to eat at the Verandah restaurant (where you have lunch and breakfast). One night is an International Buffet and the other a Barbecue. Both were lovely with plenty of selection. I have to say that I'm really, really fussy about the quality of food on holiday and it can ruin my holiday if I'm not happy but Jumby Bay is excellent.

Drinks - everything is free except for bottles of wine from the menu in the Estate House. We had unlimited cocktails, top brand spirits and house wine which was very nice. On a couple of nights we asked for a bottle of house wine to be uncorked so we could take it back to our room and were not charged for this. Also free is their 'Champagne' which is Argentinian Cava but very nice it is too.

Beach - beautiful and so quiet! I think it's spoilt me for all of the rest of my holidays. No need to get there early to reserve beds there are plenty to go around. They provide floaters, like rubber lilos for you to float in the sea, and chairs that you can sit on in the water! Before lunch one of the beach bar guys will bring round delicious sorbet in waffle cones for you and the beach bar cocktails are fantastic.

Getting there - we managed to knock quite a bit from the Virgin price by going through an independant travel agent and flying from Gatwick with First Choice. First Choice are brilliant and we upgraded to Premium for about £50 each which meant our luggage was loaded & unloaded first, bubbly on arrival, free movies, choice of menu served on china plates, free drinks, extra leg room, comfy padded seats etc. well worth it. Jumby Bay arranged a towncar to pick us up at the airport and drove us 10 minutes to the ferry where we were met with cold face towels and cold rum punch. Dion was waiting on the jetty at Jumby Bay and made us feel really welcome, driving us to our room by Golf cart.

Staff - here's the thing!! Genevieve, Stratty, Shelly, Anselmo, Dion, Kerry, Adelza were all lovely and most of the staff would say 'Hi' when you pass them in the resort. The chef Frederic was really lovely and took time to chat to us on the ferry one day. The only thing I would mention is keep all of your valuables in the safe! They have an open room policy but whilst we were there we had money and cigarettes stolen and also a couple in the same block also had money taken. To be fair to Jumby Bay we were 'interviewed' by their head of Security before we left but heard nothing else and were never reimbursed for the $100 that had been taken. I have even waited to post this because I wanted to give them the chance to write to us and let us know what the out come was but over 2 months later, nothing.

Other than the problem we had the resort is gorgeous, yes it's not cheap but where else can you stay on what is really a private island for that price? I have lovely memories of Antigua and Jumby Bay and I'm sure one day we'll go back there, in the meantime there's so much of the world to see...

• Liked — Location and the food
  • Disliked — Front desk staff - rude
  • Tips/Secrets — Book through an independant travel agent it's cheaper than Virign brochure prices
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Beachbabe101
New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We were greeted at the ferry to Jumby Bay with a cold facecloth and an even colder rum drink! After a short ferry ride, we were shown to our luxurious villa. The staff and services at Jumby Bay are top shelf and after spending time with Jenny, Elaine, Stratty, Patricia, Kenny,and Shelly, we can not wait to return. Jumby Bay is like no place else we have ever been. The accomodations were perfect, the water was clean and beautiful, the food was excellent( what is better than having a gourmet burger and a cold beer for lunch while looking out over the beautiful beach?). I highly reccomend the helicopter trip over Monserrat, If you decide to take a trip into St. John's, try Commisioners Grill for lunch. A definite to do is to sign up to meet with the women who run the Hawksbill Turtle project, they are amazing!

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a little hesitant about Jumby Bay. I feel that these reviews are totally unfounded,if you arrive at a location looking to complain, I guarantee you will find something to complain about. We met so many couples of all ages from all over the world who we had dinner and drinks with. I think because it is somewhat secluded,you really feel that Jumby Bay is your own personal island.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank TKN
Tavares, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I am so surprised to see the not so great reviews. I felt that I was pampered my every employee here. This is the Caribbean, everyone is on "Island time." You must understand this going in. The food was outstanding. Chef Frederic and his staff go out of there way to make you happy. I was very impressed with all of the employees. Each time I passed one they would always stop to say hello. I arrived late and was greeted by the night manager and she explained to resort to me. I ran into her a couple of days later and she remembered my name. I went on the sunset cruise and waS FANTASTIC. All your drinks and they also served some delicious snacks. I can't wait to return

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank ChefJeff
new jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2006

let me start with what a fabulous island. my husband and i travel every year to the caribbean looking for that unique setting. we've been to antiqua many times, but this was our first trip to jumby bay. we've been wanting to visit there for many years, but wondered if it was worth the extra dollars. well i'm glad we didn't wait any longer, it was everything we were looking for, it was wonderful. the beach is spectacular, the food was great, the service excellent, our room was beautiful. we've already booked our next visit for this year. can't wait to go back, and pedal around the island, and have sorbet while relaxing on the beach.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sugene74
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Jumby Bay. When we first arrived we were impressed at the room size and amenities. We had a huge one bedroom suite that was really charming. That's pretty much where the charm ended. The service and food at this resort are truly substandard. I'll start with the food. They advertise that there are 3 different restaurants, however when you arrive you realize that the beach bar and the verandah are basically the same restaurant, one open during the day, the other at night. Also, their supposed upscale restaurant "The Estate House" gets boring fast as the menu does not change much from evening to evening. In addition it is closed 2 days out of the week at which time you are forced to eat at the Verandah. On top of that, there are nights that the Verandah does not serve menu style rather it has a buffet which is stocked with mostly inedible food. There were times where I looked at the buffet and started to wonder why i was paying $1300 a night to eat at a waterfront Sizzler (calling it a sizzler is a compliment, by the way). In their defense the breakfast and menu style lunch at the verandah and beach bar are pretty ok; what you would expect from a 3 star all inclusive - NOT A 5 STAR, AND NOT AT THIS PRICE.
This hotel advertises itself as a 5 star. It is truly a 2-3 star at best. The next gripe is with the service. You must appreciate that this is a VERY small resort. Meaning that the staff to guest ratio is pretty good. When we were there, there were probably 50 guests in the entire resort and 20 guests on the beach at any given time. There were 2 bar men at the bar at all times but not at any time did anyone come up to us or any other guest and ask us if we would like a drink. If you wanted a drink you had to walk up to the bar and ask for it. At any other 5 star, there are waitstaff coming up to you constantly to see if you would like a drink. The service at the restaurants was average.

Like another review said, this place would be acceptable at $500/night, but at this price the service and food quality leave much to be desired. We were supposed to stay for 12 nights, but after 4 days of the awful service and awful food the thought of staying any lonnger was unbearable so we decided to take our business elsewhere.

In short there is nothing unique about Jumby Bay to justify the outrageous price

• Stayed July 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colroado
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We went to Jumby Bay to celebrate our ten year anniversary and chose it because of it's website boasting pampering, gourmet food, relaxation and luxery accommodations. What a disappointment and rip off!!!!! The rondeval room was ok; really enjoyed the garden shower. As for service & pampering, there really wasn't much of it outside of the restaurants and even that was below standards of a five star resort. Our food orders were forgotten a few times at breakfast and lunch. Dinner was ok, not alot of choice since it was the same menu each week with just a few specials and quite frankly some of the meals were prepared quite poorly. My husband was sick one day from his meal the night before along with a couple of other guests we spoke with. The front desk/concierge service was very rude and dispalyed an attitude of not really wanting to help us. And then there was housekeeping.What a disaster that was! We actually had to call twice to get our room taken care of, get fresh towels and restock the mini bar. We finally laid out $20 in hopes that it would improve and it did for one night at turndown but then they forgot us again the next day. The snorkeling they boast about is non existent. So if you're a snorkel lover like I am you can forget doing that. The final bill was definatley the grand finale. They tried to charge us for our airport transfers even though they were included in our vacation package, overcharged us for a day trip , and the kicker was that even though we received one night's free stay (which was their promotion with rondeval rooms) they tried to charge us for our meals on that free day. They stated that the lodging was free but not the food. We had to actually pull out our contract/itinerary from our tour company to prove that it was an all-inclusive stay. We had to state several times that we were not going to pay for meals before they finally deleted the charge. On the bus to the airport we discovered that they tried to overcharge several other guests also.
I have never experienced such a level greed as I did at Jumby Bay. It is very obvious that they cater to the owners/renters of the multi-million dollar villas on the island, as we witnessed, and really don't care for the first time guests. Not only did we experience the greed at Jumby Bay but the Island of Atigua as a whole. We will never go back! We did make the most of our vacation by enjoying the beautiful beach and the beach bar but were very glad to leave.

• Stayed June 2006
#2 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Carlisle Bay Antigua
Carlisle Bay Antigua
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!