“Beautiful Place with Wonderful Customer Service”

Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
McLean, Virginia
“Beautiful Place with Wonderful Customer Service”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Jumby Bay provided a wonderful vacation. The place is beautiful and kept very clean. We stayed in a lovely villa with a infinity pool. There are three different restaurants to choose from. One place for breakfast, two places for lunch and three places for dinner. The resort also has some special dinner nights: White Night on the beach (bring something white to wear) and Caribbean Night. The food was very good, but after a week, I was kind of craving things that I couldn't get on the menus. The drinks are free flowing and filled with alcohol. A couple of days in, I starting to ask for drinks with "light" alcohol. You have to sign up for the speed boat for the free water-skiing, tubing or wake boarding. There is only one boat, so you need to sign up in the morning. The kayaking, paddleboarding, hobie cat, and wind surfing is all free and available at any time. The beach service is SLOW. Getting drinks there generally isn't an issue, but ordering food at the beach takes a long, long time. One day we waited 70 minutes for the food and it was soggy by the time it got to us. The customer service is amazing. Melinda greeted us when we were about to get on the boat to the island. She has a bubbly personality and answered all our questions. Lorenz at the beach area was so friendly and patient. At the villa, wifi was hit or miss.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank AuntieMRA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

returned from Jumby bay a couple of weeks ago i have to say the resort was lovely nice rooms nice grounds beach pool etc, the restaurants were very good with plenty of choice for everyone, we were a party of 6 adn no-one was dissapointed with any meal, even though the service was sometimes slow but thats the carribean all over and actually adds to its charm, which take me to the staff this place has great staff that all care about the place its self and the visitors, jenny at the beach bar was the best bar person i have ever come across, funny friendly and she could mix a cocktail, also susie at the pool bar we were all on our sunloungers away from the bar but she never let us go thirsty and being its an all inclusive resort she wasnt making us spend money just giving us great service, all in all a great time and sometime in the future would love to return

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Frank F
London
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We're turning into one of those couples who keep going back to the same place every year, such is the magical draw of Jumby Bay.

The beach is stunning, rooms are beautiful, food amazing and the people are so warm and friendly. You just can't get bored of this place.

We are already wondering if we can squeeze in another trip next year...

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ruth_Teddington
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

From the moment you step onto Jumby Bay you know your someplace special. Its stunningly beautiful, tranquil and from the first person you meet on arrival to the last person on leaving....warm and friendly. The accommodation was superb, we had our own pool and the suite overlooked the beach. The fridges were well stocked, the restaurants were all superb, in fact there is nothing negative to say about this holiday. I know its not for everyone as it was very expensive but its the first time we've been away and thought it was worth every penny!! Hopefully going back next year.

Room Tip: We were in suite 23 which was fabulous, its not a hotel its just a series of suites so to be honest...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mfennon
Bakersfield, CCA
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have stayed at many of the best properties all over the world and Jumby Bay has become one of my favorites. I actually waited 6 weeks to write the review to allow the excitement of the property to wane and to attempt to be more objective. Fortunately, it never did. In fact, I couldn't get it out of my head so I have planned another vacation there next week!

In my reviews I usually try to do a pro v. cons section. Frankly, any attempt here would be fruitless. The pros are so overwhelming, the cons so miniscule, it would serve no purpose. So lets see if I can give a review with some insider tips.

ARRIVAL:
Arrival at ANU airport is very simple. With the transfer package ($75 per person) you are greeted by agents of the hotel and escorted through customs. Once outside there are hotel reps that will have a small SUV brought to wisk you to the dock. Its literally 2 minutes away. The boat is usually waiting. Its catamaran style fairy. Clean and nice. Jump to the front for some great breezes as it takes you on a seven minute ride across the gorgeous bay and the approach to the island which is amazing.

CHECK IN
Check in was fantastic. You sit with drinks at the lobby bar and sign a few documents before being golf carted to your room.

ROOMS:
Stayed in the Beachside Courtyard Villa. Great room! Spacious. Well maintained. Relaxing and wonderful. The pool version of these rooms are nearly identical except they come with a small plunge pool. Frankly, the extra cost (especially without kids) is probably not worth the $300 per night bump up. We were in Villa 22. Superb in every way. The minibar is stocked full of full bottles of wine and sodas and beer and water. Get some clear instructions on the room lighting switches. A bit complicated and you can spend a good period of your visit just trying to turn off lights at night without turning off the air.

DINING:
Go to the Estate House every night. Its fantastic and the food is wonderful. The Estate Bar is also a little used are and is relaxing with wonderful evening breezes. Don't miss the rum tasting. Nothing being sold, just the opportunity to learn the history and and opportunity to taste some qualities producers. Breakfast is great. Tons of options in a beautiful setting.

POOL:
We didn't use the pool often. The service when we were there is lack luster. Need more servers or at least ones that would prefer serving. Just not a whole lot of reasons to no be at the beach.

BEACH:
The beach is pristine. White sand. Perfect water. Great service. Don't miss the opportunity to sit at the beach bar and interact with the staff. They are incredible and will give you honest opinions regarding what to do and when to do. They even take time on their days off to arrange great day trips for you with friends who become your friends!

The water sports are plentiful. From kayaks to paddle boards to hobie cats. All without charge and include instructions. Take a chance and do some things you haven't tried before. The staff is patient and great teachers.

OVERALL:
My time at Jumby Bay was some of the best Ive ever had. Overall, close to perfect. In fact, we had plans to spend 4 nights in Barbuda at Lighthouse Bay. Spent one day there and caught a flight back to Jumby Bay. Loved it so much, I'm heading back to Jumby Bay this next week for another week of sun and fun and pampering. I could have gone anywhere and I chose to return to Jumby Bay...and that really says it all.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying an extra $300 for the pool suite. Frankly, who would want to be in a pool w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Civillit1
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I had a very good feeling going into this trip (thanks to one of my most darling friends that honeymooned here 8 years ago & told me how incredible this resort was) my favorite thing is to explore the Caribbean.......we have stayed in many lovely resorts. I have definitive favorites & extreme dislikes. LOVE Tortola but service in general lacks.....some of the worst.....very rude. The house we rented though was without a doubt the best I have ever rented. (Blackbeard's Hideway....Steele point) we treated ourselves to Sandy Lane for our 15th.....beautiful rooms, nice concierges......HORRIBLY stuffy! I felt like I wasn't good enough to be there. Service was subpar. Ridiculously expensive for what you received. Dead crab in the jacuzzi & full of debris after our spa treatment. Mentioned it & there was no reaction. The Landings in St Lucia......nicest people.....we felt like royalty. Having said all that I wanted I establish I am not a novice. This resort goes the extra mile on everything!!!!! Don't know the last time I was thus happy & relaxed!!! I will make sure I mention every one of the exceptional staff. Read reviews before I came & frankly EVERY compliant I found petty & insipid. Planes? Sea grass? Inane! There is NOTHING this staff will not do to make EVERYTHING perfect! Trying to think of a compliant..........OK.....how about drink holders on bikes???? ;) don't know the last time I felt so comfortable, safe & appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Heather H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We (4 of us) have just returned from 8 days at Jumby Bay in Antigua - it was pure bliss! This is a very well managed and run hotel! The hotel is on a 300 acre Island which has no cars - just bikes and golf carts to get around. It is peaceful, has several beaches to explore and provides good running. The hotel also has a decent gym. There is something special about being on a small island – it really helps with that “get away from it all” experience,

All of the staff are excellent - friendly, helpful and efficient so we had very good service, including very good beach service. The rooms are huge - we had two Court Yard Suits, with interconnecting doors between the court yards – perfect for the 4 of us. Our terrace was well equipped with sun beds, a table and 4 chairs and the view over the sea was fantastic. The rooms, bathrooms and outdoor shower and bath were really nice and everything worked well. We were able to play music using bluetooth from our I pad through the Bose speakers that were in the room. The beds are very comfortable. If there were any problems, the response by the hotel was very prompt and efficient.

We enjoyed the food - consistently to a high standard no matter where we eat - and there were 3 different dinning venues. The Estate House is the excellent and the service always friendly and attentive.

We made good use of the beach - which was never busy and is very beautiful, and also made good use of the water sports, which were always available. We went snorkelling, sailing, kayaking, water skiing, etc. The staff at the water sports centre were really terrific! We also did the sunset cruise – again a great trip and a good way to meet other guests.

I travel a lot and typically stay at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental hotels. One and Only Hotels, etc. often. Jumby Bay is operated by Rose Wood and it is an excellent property – maybe not as polished as a Mandarin Oriental, or Four Seasons, but certainly every bit as good – much less stuffy, much more friendly and more relaxing than these other luxury brands, Jumby bay is authentic not pretentious!

Well done to the terrific management team and staff. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!