“Hard to believe....it was so good!!”
Review of Jumby Bay Island

Jumby Bay Island
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I went with my daughter who is 15. We were a bit worried as our past experiences in the Caribbean were not so good. We've been in different resorts like Four Seasons in Nevis , Ocean club in Paradise Islan. From the very first moment of our arrival to Jumby Bay, we were welcome by Rita, and since then, I had the best feeling .
I will summarize by saying that Jumby Bay is a fantastic All inclusive hotel for someone who needs to relax and enjoy nature. All the staff makes you feel at home with their friendly hospitality. Everything is first class. I would go back no doubts!!
Well done to the management!!

Room Tip: The ones which have been refurbished. The pool suite villas.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank marcyUnitedKingdom
There are newer reviews for Jumby Bay Island

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is absolutely amazing, I highly recommend it. I've been here twice and each time gets better, if that's even possible.

The location itself is beautiful, the property is amazing and has all of the amenities you could want. The suites with their own pools are a very nice touch.

The staff is top notch and they provide five star service. I highly recommend the spa, the hot stone massage is to die for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cchecat
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The only downside to visiting Jumby Bay is the arrival at and departure from Antigua's airport. The Immigration officers were perhaps the grumpiest, slowest and unfriendly bureaucrats I have ever run into. And the American Airlines check-in person wasn't far behind. Makes you wonder which is the true face of Antigua, because the staff at Jumby Bay shines! Everyone at the resort makes you feel welcome and special. The quality of the service provided is impeccable. They even thought of such small touches as putting a lens cleaning kit by the sunglasses I left in our room when we went to dinner. The accommodations are also five star. We stayed in a courtyard suite. The room was enormous, airy, bright, spotless and comfortable. There is a constantly replenished minibar/fridge, a large flat screen TV and a Nespresso machine. The bathrooms had two sinks and two showers (one indoor and another outdoor). Bed was king size and very cozy. Food was consistently excellent, though perhaps not super "gourmet." The fancy Estate House restaurant was best when it was not busy and the Verandah serves a pleasant three meals a day. Our favorite for lunch though was the Pool Grille by the beautiful infinity pool; it served simple and delicious food in generous portions. The White Night barbecue style dinner right on the beach was another highlight of our stay. We are not into water sports, but there seemed to be a good variety available. As other reviewers have mentioned the beach is beautiful to look at, but not really up to snuff for really enjoyable wading or swimming. There is simply too much seaweed and the bottom is somewhat slimy. We spent just one morning there and thereafter retreated to the infinity pool for the rest of our stay. So if a great beach is a must for you, maybe Jumby isn't. In short, Jumby is a lovely place to relax and be pampered. It is truly all inclusive; our only "extra" came at the overpriced gift shop. So yes.....Jumby Bay is a paradise, but a paved paradise. By that I mean that the grounds are perhaps too manicured and unnatural. It is true that there are no cars on the island and that bikes are provided, but we found that there was nonetheless a lot of "traffic." Housekeeping used mini trucks, golf carts were omnipresent and pedestrians non-existant. Granted that it was perhaps to hot to walk around, but that may be because there was little shade along the paved "paths" (mini roads). We did the short walk to Pasture Bay, the other beach on the island, and the only souls we saw were the groundskeepers (with their carts and mini trucks). By the way, the Pasture Bay beach is less attractive than the main Jumby Bay one, so you can skip the hot trek altogether. Best to stay within the paradisiacal confines of the main resort area and shuffle from your suite to the pool/bar to the restaurants.....and repeat for a few days. You will be loath to leave.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank exmarsa
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just returned from Jumby Bay and I do not have a bad word to say for it ... Villa, Staff, Service, everything was more than excellent would recommend it to anyone .... wonderful

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nobby991
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My friends, I have been at MANY all-clusive beachfront resorts in the Caribbean. Jumby Bay, is by far, the best overall beach front resort in the Caribbean...period. Better than the one I got married at! The staff is genuine, warmly interested in you, and the food is NYC gourmet quality. The property and beach rivals Varadero (the best beach in the world). It is QUITE at relatively late. If your professional from a fast-paced environment, this is the place for you, my friend!

Room Tip: The beachfront courtyard rooms. Better value than the pool suites.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ALIZ20
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We just returned from a week at Jumby Bay. It was divine! Their service is impecable, from the moment you are greeted at the airport, then wisked away in their limousines to their private dock, and ferried a short distance over to Jumby Island. The resort itself is located on a vast white sand beach in a calm turquoise colored bay, which is perfectly maintained. There are two pools: A lap pool and an infinity pool, which is right near their newest restaurant, the Pool Grille (great for lunch!). The rooms are immaculate, large, well decorated, and beautifully maintained. Housekeepers seem to show up at just the right time (i.e., when you are not there!) for daily and turn-down service. There are three restaurants for dinner (not all open on the same nights), but that affords enough variety. The quality of the food, variety, and presentation is quite good (--though we felt the resort should address the amount of time it takes to get it out of the kitchen). Each room is provided bicycles for you to use on well maintained paths to ride to and from meals (--though they are more than willing to send a golf cart to pick you up, or you can stroll down a path or the beach to get to your meal). I've been to some of the finest resorts in the Carribean (--Cap Jaluca, Malliouhana, Little Dix, Carlisle Bay, Jalousie Plantation, etc.), and there is no doubt that Jumby Bay is right up there as one of the finest. I highly recommend this resort to couples (lots of honeymooners and those celebrating anniversaries--in fact it seems an ideal honeymoon destination!), as well at to families with older children (--I went with my 12 and 20 year old daughters who loved it; no kids club or anything like that, but there is a tennis pro, water skiing, tubing, sailing, Sunset Cruise, snorkeling, etc., which is all part of the all inclusive rate, and is really entertaining for kids--would not recommend for younger kids -2 through 8 as there aren't many that age there, though a few such kids were there and I found them a bit disruptive to the quiet the couples and we were enjoying). Overall, an excellent and highly recommended resort!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nancy D
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a 4 day stay at Jumby Bay in May. As noted in other reviews, the ride from the airport to the ferry was a short one and in less than an hour from landing we were checking into our room. Upon arrival we were greeted with refreshing drinks and a cool cloth. We received a tour of the property and had snacks and champagne waiting for us in our suite. The rooms were very clean and offered excellent views. The outdoor shower and tub was a great feature. Overall check-in was a breeze.

Next we took a bike ride around the entire island to check things out. We stopped at Pasture Beach and had it all to ourselves. No one else was in sight. There are several private homes, but the pathway around the island is easy to follow. The main beach offers excellent swimming (very calm water), hobie cats for sailing, waterskiing, and stand up paddle boards. There are many starfish that are easy to spot. When we were there the water wasn't as crystal clear as I would have hoped for, but nonetheless pleasant to swim in. We did take a short boat ride to Bird Island for snorkeling which was a lot of fun. We saw dozens of various fish, squid, and beautiful coral.

Meals were great and the highlight was the Sunday night BBQ "white night" where guests are encouraged to wear all white. The selection was tremendous and the food was wonderful. BBQ grill with ribs, shrimp, chicken, lobster, fish and more.

I think the overall service was outstanding, but do realize the islands live with a slower pace. In my view this makes things very relaxing, but if you want someone jumping as soon as your drink is low you might get frustrated. My advice, chill and relax. The drinks were good and I recommend "Cool me off".

I would highly recommend this property and will certainly go back, although it is quite pricey. The price tag is about all I would complain about. Everything else was top notch!

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool suite (#23) which had perhaps the best view on the property and was centrally lo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Jumby Bay Island? Share your experiences!