Review of Segway Antigua Tours - CLOSED

Segway Antigua Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Antigua is a wonderfully beautiful island whose rich beauty and unique appeal is further appreciated and enjoyed from the vantage point of a Segway. Whether you are traveling alone, with that special someone or with family and friends, you will enjoy your experience riding a Segway while learning and enjoying great sights of Antigua. A brief orientation with friendly staff sets the stage coupled with the Caribbean Sea as your backdrop will thrill you as you cover miles in minutes riding your Segway effortlessly through a series of sites and attractions - beach picnic parks, the ruins of historic forts, sugar mills, land marks and more. It is our love for our island, respect for our staff, showing an example to our children, and eagerness to share, with you our guests, that keeps us smiling and eager for you to enjoy your short time with us while you visit our lovely island. Come ride a segway in Antigua; see you soon.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My family was so excited for this excursion. We have two children in our family, both 13, and in the U.S. you must be over fifteen to partake in the activity of segway riding. We were thrilled that our whole family could enjoy this, and it turned out to be more than fantastic. We rode a segway on a delicate, sandy beach of Antigua and visited an original Antiguan fort. Additionally, we received lots of information from our tour guide, Elizabeth, about the island and its history, and we were given local fruit, sugar cane, and complimentary beverages along the way. We were also allowed plenty of time to take pictures at beautiful destinations, which we did much of. Our taxi ride was payed for by the Segway Antigua company, and many pictures and videos were taken by them as well, which I felt was very hospitable of them. This excursion was simply marvelous, and you should really check it out!

All reviews
"booked this tour"
in 11 reviews
"fun experience"
in 4 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 9 reviews
"amazing experience"
in 7 reviews
"recent cruise"
"learning how"
"a lot of fun"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Arrived at Antigua and met Juliette and she arranged a van to take us to her location at Ft. James Beach. To our surprise, the beach was BEAUTIFUL and prestine. There was a little restaurant that we had lobster and red snapper at. Half of us went on the first tour while the other stayed at the beach. Then we switched. This was one of the best parts of the whole trip. Even my 10 year old did great on the segways. She was scared at first, but did great.. Definitely plan on spending an hour or two at her beach before or after the ride. It is free and not crowded at all ( literally 20 people were there) You can rent a chair and umbrella. There are restrooms too. She provided us lockers to store our stuff while on the tour.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I initially looked into doing this tour during our visit to Antigua, I was hoping to book the Ffryes Bay Fiesta. Unfortunately, all the slots had already been reserved by a cruise ship that day. Juliette was quick to respond via email with other available options, though, and we ended up booking the Conquerors of the Fort tour instead. While that tour was a little shorter than the preferred option, it still managed to deliver a lot of fun!

We started off by watching a brief safety video before being fitted with elbow pads & helmets. We then went outside for some hands-on instruction and to practice the techniques we had been taught. These battery-powered electric vehicles are very intuitive and we were scooting around like experts in no time at all. Once the guides (Elizabeth & Lance) determined that we were comfortable, we took to the streets and our adventure began. [Note: They do have lockers available, so you can feel comfortable leaving things behind at the office, if necessary.]

The Segways were equipped to handle all kinds of terrain and the chosen route covered them all! I was amazed at how fast we could get going on the paved streets. The beaches were a little more challenging, but that was half the fun! We went uphill, downhill, around tight corners and everything in between.

There were a few scheduled stops and photo opportunities along the way, so be sure to bring along your camera . They snapped pictures of our group at various points and emailed them (10 total) to us for free within a week of us arriving home, but as for the scenery itself you will want to be sure to capture your own pics as well.

During our actual stop at Fort James, we were provided with water, fruit kebobs, and some sugar cane to sample. It was a real treat. This was also the area where they turned us loose to do some free-style riding for a period of time.

Upon our return back to the shop, we were treated to a drink at the beach bar located next door. We were then able to spend some time on the beautiful beach before Elizabeth gave us a ride back to our hotel. Both she & Lance were absolute professionals and very friendly. We had a great time on this tour and the fact that they emailed us the pics at no additional charge was a nice bonus compared to the extra fees that many other tour operators charge. If you get a chance, you should definitely book a tour with Segway Antigua!!!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Poised, balanced, graceful…none of these adjectives have ever been included in descriptions of me. Obviously, a Segway tour, pitting me against gravity, seemed at first to be a recipe for disaster. My wife is much more graceful than I, but I worried that her having to dolly me around in my body cast would cramp her style for the rest of our cruise. As it turns out, the combination of experienced teachers, not wanting to look like an oaf, and the excitement of wanting to see what we could while in St. Johns made my worries disappear. It took about ten minutes with Elizabeth’s [and a wonderful young man who helped as well, but his name unfortunately eludes me—old age sucks] guidance to make sure our heads were above our ankles, and the rest of the experience was exhilarating, educational, memorable, and unique. My wife and I were the only two on this tour, so we had an intimate chance to get to know about Antigua, but we were also fortunate to get our guides, Elizabeth and the wonderful young man whose name still eludes me, to share insights into their lives in Antigua. This connection made the scenery even more relevant. If you’re nervous, safety is their first concern before you depart—and they’re patient. They don’t even let you have your rum drink[s] until after you’ve stepped off the Segway for the last time. This trip is an experience well worth having. You won’t find it listed with some cruise lines, but what do they know? Our timely return to our ship was assured and delivered. Unlike some of the other reviewers, our pictures were emailed to us today. I still wouldn’t call myself poised, balanced, or graceful, but in the pictures I look confident enough to model for mall-cop training posters (though it’s hard to look cool on a Segway). The other thing I notice is that my eyes keep focusing on the backdrops of the cerulean sky, the cotton clouds, the idyllic seascape, and the memories, so I hardly notice how dorky we look in helmets.