“Great beach close to cruise ship port”
Review of Dickenson Bay

and up
Runaway Beach Day in Antigua
Ranked #17 of 118 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Visited this beach while on a cruise. Short taxi ride to the beach from the pier. Beach was very clean and not nearly as crowded as I expected. Beach is shared by a resort but didn't seem to be used by many people from there. Since the beach was not crowded, we were able to use the chairs with covers for free. What our group didn't like was all the locals that keep coming by to try and sell you things. A polite no thank you was all we said and they continued on. There are many other nice beaches on the island but this was very close for us due to time constraints.

31  Thank DonkArizona
"halcyon cove"
in 9 reviews
"long stretch of beach"
in 3 reviews
"horseback riding on the beach"
in 3 reviews
"rent chairs and umbrellas"
"floating bar"
in 13 reviews
"turquoise sea"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2012

This was my favourite beach of our cruise (Carnival Valor) to the Eastern Caribbean. I think previous reviews are unfair. This beach and the colour of the water are utterly stunning - the pictures do not do it justice. You step on to the beach through the cafe (we loved that they had swings instead of bar stools) and are greeted by a wide stretch of white sand. I was blown away by the colour of the sea. To the left we found a quiet spot and were not hassled by vendors. My only criticism would be the jet ski - however it was less intrusive than I expected. $6 taxi ride from the port (we did not use the cruise transport).

We walked the full length of the beach and the view back around the bay were beautiful. My pictures will be up in my office to take me back to this piece of paradise.

15  Thank Wandamor
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I had some concerns based on the other reviews. The beach was clean and we did not find it to be overly commercial. There were a few vendors selling stuff, but they readily accepted no. I think the ride was only $8 from the ships and the cabs are courteous and readily available for the return trip. Chairs are $5, jet skis were $40 for a half hour.

8  Thank Larry R
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We took a short taxi ride from our cruise ship to Dickenson Bay. Initially, we were a little put off by the number of vendors approaching us to purchase chairs, umbrellas, jewelry and horseback riding on the beach. However, a simple "no thank you" and they pretty much left us alone. We purchased chairs and umbrella's from Sneaky Pete's, $5.00/chair and $10.00/umbrella. Since we had a couple of rain showers throughout the day, this proved to be a great decision. We just hung at the bar ($5.00/beer) during the rain and chatted with the owner. He was a wealth of information regarding the island and just an all-around nice guy! Thanks Pete. This was a very busy beach but not an issue for our group - we loved it!

10  Thank greatlakeslucy