“Great week of diving!”
Review of Mamora Bay Divers

Mamora Bay Divers
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I emailed ahead to set up diving for the week I was in Antigua, staying at the Verandah Resort & Spa. Mamora Dive Shop is on the St. James Club property, a sister resort to the Verandah. Linda promptly responded to my email, letting me know there is a complimentary shuttle to transport you to & from the shop each day of diving. It is low season in July, so the boat was not full of divers, a very nice surprise! The Atlantic seas were a bit rough, up to 8 foot swells at times, but Teon, our boat captain, did a fabulous job! Linda is a wonderful dive instructor!! I thoroughly enjoyed our dives!! It was so nice to relax & look around leisurely, checking in every so often, but having plenty of room to explore! As others have said, Linda is very professional & safety is her first concern. On one dive at about 70 feet, I was unable to clear my right ear...not something I usually have difficulty with. I signaled to her & we ascended to a depth where the pressure wasn't bothering me & continued our dive. I was able to store my gear at the shop each day instead of taking it back with me, a great convenience! Bottled water is available on the boat, but do bring a snack if you would like to eat something during the surface interval. The boat does not have a bathroom, so be sure to take care before you embark! Great Experience! I also want to thank the owner, Mr. Barrett, for embracing/funding the lion fish hunt. As divers, we appreciate your efforts to keep our oceans healthy! I look forward to diving with LInda and Teon when we return to Antigua in the future!

2  Thank Karen B
"friendly dive centre"
"cow fish"
"emailed ahead"

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We chose this dive shop because it is PADI certified and because of the good reviews. We really enjoyed our dive with Linda. We appreciated her professionalism, her sense of safety, and her clear dive briefings. She is a very kind, cheerful woman, and we felt very relaxed with her and in good hands. Linda's covered boat was very comfortable. A loan of full dive gear was included in the cost of the dive. She even supplied full length suits for those of us who chill easily! We were with a couple who have completed 50 dives and who had been out with Linda before. They stated that they really enjoyed diving with Linda, and that they also liked her professionalism.

I am still a bit new to diving and really appreciated that Teon, our very capable boat captain, watched over me as I prepared my equipment for the first dive, and provided guidance when it looked like I needed it. Our first dive site was Nanton Point. Visibility was ~50 feet. This was a nice, relaxing dive. We found the sea life at this site to be somewhat limited in variety and abundance, but recognize that we are spoiled by our absolutely fantastic Cozumel dives last year. Linda was also restricted in where she could take us that day, due to the number of sail boats in Antigua for Sailing Week.

Our second site was the Pillars of Hercules. I have some issues with stamina, and am often not able to do the second dive. Linda told me ahead of time that I could play it by ear, and if I felt I could not manage the second dive, I would only be charged for one dive. I thought this was very decent of her. When I realized I wouldn't be able to do the second dive, she surprised me by offering to have Teon drop me off on the quiet beach of our surface interval bay, so that I wouldn't just be sitting on the boat while everyone else went down for their dive. She is a sweetheart! I had a lovely, unexpected experience sitting by myself on a gorgeous, sunny beach in a tiny, surreal turquoise Caribbean cove. Heaven!

2  Thank turquoisegirl
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Antigua. We dove with Mamora Bay Divers and were completely satisfied with the owner/operator/Dive Master, Linda. She is extremely nice, bright and happy to be leading the dives. Safety is her primary concern and the diving was great. Our experience was first rate!

5  Thank Bill H
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Recently I spent a long weekend in Antigua at the Verandah resort (first rate place) and wished to go scuba diving. The folks at Verandah arranged for me to visit their sister resort, the St. James Club, where I spent the morning diving with Mamora Bay Divers. As someone somewhat new to diving (about 15 dives so far) I was very impressed. The folks who opperate this dive group are fantastic, knowledgeable and possess a great sense of humour. Saftey always comes first. Their knowledge of what to see is first rate, which given that Antigua is trying to establish itself as a new dive location ranks the Mamora Bay Divers first on my list.

9  Thank Trevor P
See more reviews
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We pre-booked 5 days diving with Mamora Bay Divers who operate out of the St James Club in Southern Antigua, & the return taxi ride from our hotel, the Verandah was arranged daily at no extra cost.

Arriving in Antigua, we anticipated "below average" diving, but we can honestly say we were wrong – no, they do not have beautiful colourful hard coral reefs but they do have fascinating underwater topography and really lovely soft corals and sea fans.

Again you do not get masses of large fishlife but we saw a couple of Nurse Sharks, Green Turtle, Barracuda, Stingrays and the biggest lobsters (some of which were in the open) we have ever seen - the Stingrays & Lobsters were seen almost daily.

Most of the dives we encountered some current and more usually swell as many of the dives are at the base of the cliffs, but this was manageable on all dives and did not distract you from hunting for smaller critters or using your camera. The visibility generally ranged between 10 and 20 meters.

We also dived the wreck, which is a small tug-boat, sitting upright in 40 metres (130 feet), & the dive centre will only allow experience divers to do this dive for obvious reasons. The visibility was again good at 10-15mtrs & the wreck allows for a small amount of penetration, and is good for underwater photography. You finish this dive by gently ascending up a very pretty reef.

The dives are accessed by a high powered dive boat which comfortably seats 8 divers (although the max we had was 5) with a giant stride entry to the sites. The boat is generally moored with the exception of the wreck dive which is an open sea pick up.
The boat is by far the best in the area the other boats we saw were little more than small wooden fishing boats.

The dive centre is small and is managed by Linda Swann with assistance from her boat captains – Tian and Joseph, all which were helpful and friendly. Linda was always welcoming and accommodating and was always happy to share her experiences both above and below the water in Antigua. She ensured that the surface intervals were in sheltered bays which allowed some respite from the Atlantic waves which on occasions were rough and allowed use to see some of the more inaccessible places around the coast line as well.

We took our own equipment and the centre's thoughts on this is that you must take total responsibility for it, so you carry, wash and put it away, You can store your equipment at the school but if you are staying at the St James Club you are requested to take your equipment back to the room, as the centre is quite small. The school's equipment, which we did not use appeared to be modern & in good condition.

Overall we enjoyed our dives with Mamora and found them to be a friendly, helpful and professional outfit and were unexpectedly surprised by some of the dive sites.
We would certainly recommend Linda and her team if you want to enjoy your diving in Antigua.

13  Thank Jason_and_Suzanne