“Great interaction with stingrays...watch for hickeys!”
Review of Stingray City

and up
Island Safari and Stingray Fantasy Antigua
Ranked #2 of 93 Tours in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Your Stingray City Antigua Snorkel Adventure will be the highlight of your vacation, and an experience that will live with you forever. Our Southern Rays are without doubt The Brightest Rays in the Caribbean, very friendly and gentle. Come and enjoy with us this unique experience of interacting and feeding a Stingray, together with snorkelling amongst magnificent coral reefs and colourful tropical fish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visited Stingray City as an excursion while our cruise ship Jewel of the Seas was in Antigua. As soon as we got there, we were met by friendly staff. We were doing the Stingray swim and kayak adventure.

The stingray swim was very cool. After getting instruction on the dos and donts, we took a speedboat out to the reef area where the rays were. Once there, we put on our provided mask and snorkel and "shuffled" out to the main area. You were able to interact with the rays on your own or with assistance from the guides. Also, there was a photographer to take a picture of each individual or party while holding a ray.

Be sure to grab some of the food from the guides to feed the rays. My wife and I both got what appeared to be squid to feed the rays. The rays know its feeding time and are brushing against you as you get ready to feed them. Be sure to keep your thumb tucked in as they will vacuum the food through their mouths. I had one a little off suck on my arm a little before moving down to my hand where the bait was. It didn't hurt but it does get your attention! And when it is feeding time, the occasional barracuda may show up. We had one who was interested in the squids too but keep his distance from the swimmers. Apparently he was a local...the guides called him Larry the Barry.

Afterwards, we took the boat inland tho the coastal mangroves and learned a little about the habitat. It's amazing how the ecosystem works on the coast! We also had a chance to see starfish, upside down jellyfish and sea cucumbers while kayaking. Very easy kayak on 2 person kayaks and the guides were willing to share their knowledge with all.

I would do this again. This is a fun adventure and this side of the island is very beautiful. Guides were very friendly and knowledgable.

1  Thank DBQRob
Stingraycityanu, Manager at Stingray City, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Guests
Thank you for your kind words and we are please that you had a fantastic time with us.
hope you can visit agin in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,919)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was very apprehensive about visiting stingray city, but am so glad I did! There is a safety briefing before leaving in the boat, to get to the rays. Masks are provided. It takes time adjusting to becoming surrounded by the rays. You line up to have your photo taken with the rays, no pressure to purchase them. There is time to spend admiring these graceful creatures, and chance to feed them. The staff are very good at looking after you. A unique experience. On arriving back at the beach rum punch is served.

1  Thank chip60

hope you can visit agin in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Today we visited Stingray City. My partner and I took our three children, aged 5, 3 and 1. From the moment we arrived, the staff were so kind, helpful and informative. They helped us in the water with the children, which was a daunting task! We all had a truly amazing time. Thank you so much to the staff at Stingray City. If we had more time here, we would go back again.
The staff are great and really make the trip a special one. So, if you go to see the Stingrays, and you have as good a time as we did, make sure you tip these guys - they really deserve it :)
Thanks again
Cinnamon, Mike,Tyler, Asher and baby Darcey

1  Thank Cinnamon6-13
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was an amazing experience, we were picked up from the beach in a speed boat and whisked off to meet the stingrays! After a short briefing we were given snorkel gear and got into the water, well our feet hadn't touched the bottom when we were surrounded by 20-30 rays all eager to be fed and petted! Our guide took some lovely photos and we were free to take our own photos and snorkel as we wished. After about an hour we returned to the boat and taken off to their land base to pay etc, and to have some complimentary rum punch, ( this is a very strong punch!!!), they have some birds and animals you can look at, you can also look/purchase any photos you would like (either printed or on a disc $15 per photo). After this brief stop you are taken back. This was an unforgettable experience and worth doing.

1  Thank loonylou78
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently visited Sting Ray City as an excursion on our cruise. We had investigated it on Tripadvisor and decided it looked like lot’s of fun. We enjoyed it even more than we expected.

Some reviews had said that they encountered long lines to get to feed the sting ray and get their picture taken but that is not what we experienced. It was not crowded at all and we had plenty of time to interact with the rays in a leisurely fashion.

Another review stated that the staff at sting ray city just wanted to take their picture so they could sell it to them. That wasn’t true for us either. The staff was very helpful and was more than willing to take our picture with our camera.

As far as the rays were concerned we were just another fish in the ocean. They were very comfortable around people. At one point I was standing, talking to a friend and felt something touch my ankle. When I looked down it was one of the rays swimming between my legs.

This was great fun even though I did have a bit of a scare. We were instructed how to feed the sting rays but I must not have paid attention. At one point when I was feeding a sting ray, it got almost my whole finger in his mouth. I pulled it out and could see where he bit me. But it didn’t really hurt and I just had a minor scratch about a quarter inch long. After that I paid more attention. Had I followed the instructions I am quite confident I would not have had any problem. So I recommend anyone reading this to pay attention when they show you how to feed the rays.

We had a great time and I would HIGHLY recommend this experience.

2  Thank RichandLInda