“Cute animals; consider 2nd or 3rd tour of the day”
Review of Stingray City

and up
Island Safari and Stingray Fantasy Antigua
Ranked #2 of 92 Tours in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: Your Stingray City Antigua Snorkel Adventure will be the highlight of your vacation, and an experience that will live with you forever. Our Southern Rays are without doubt The Brightest Rays in the Caribbean, very friendly and gentle. Come and enjoy with us this unique experience of interacting and feeding a Stingray, together with snorkelling amongst magnificent coral reefs and colourful tropical fish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I love any type of animal and want to feed, interact with, touch, etc every kind. We loved Stingray City in Grand Cayman. That being said, the Antigua stingray experience was equally good with the exception that these guys were hungry first thing in the morning (we had first tour of the day). We had a couple people in our group get "bitten" (actually sucked on hard; left marks on my friend). I suspect that they might not be so excited after they've been fed by a tour or two. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. Beware the rum punch afterward...very strong! Mix the alcoholic with non-alcoholic for a good drink.

This was the first stop in our 3-part excursion through Royal Caribbean: West End Highlights Tour. As such, our entry fee was included in our excursion cost.

5  Thank meowdoc

Reviewed April 17, 2011

I loved stingray city! They take you on small boats a couple miles out to shallow water. There is no cages or enclosures, the stingrays are wild. This place has been open for 8 years and has never had an accidentally sting. Hearing this made my significant other a little more comfortable because these rays are big. They bump into you and even nibble on your skin. You get to feed them squids and take pictures holding them. After about an hour, you return for showers at their facility's and the strongest rum punch drink I have ever had. All you can drink but trust me, 1 is more then enough.

1  Thank kendrac21
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I had previously done the Stingray thing in Grand Cayman, but had to persuade my partner to go on this trip, his concerns based on 'but why are they called STINGrays?!!!'
You get a briefing before you get to the boat to get to the 'sandbank' area so you are quite clear on which bits are what (mouth eyes nose etc) so that you know where to feed them! Sounds a bit daft I know but you'd be surprised! The stingrays can hear when the boat arrives so start swarming around before you get into the water and that first view of these amazing creatures is absolutely awesome! Then when you get into the water to get close up and personal - WOW! It is quite strange the first time one brushes against you when they swim past, and quite a few people were yelping a little! No worries though, the crew are very attentive to everyone's experience, enjoyment and wellbeing, but also the welfare of these stunning gentle beings. Go and enjoy - and take a waterproof camera!

3  Thank Marianne-and-Peter
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Despite having a fantastic time with the tour company we went to Stingray City with, we chose to purchase our photograph with the stingray city company. Everything was and went as they said it would. Then 2 years later they used our card our again to make another purchase, even though we have not been anywhere near the island in that much time. I don't think so! Caribbean companies = shady. Be VERY careful. But the attraction itself is worth seeing.

6  Thank CourtD44
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We visited Stingray City on the 2nd October 2010 during our stay in Antigua.
It's a wonderful experience.
If you are staying at "The Veranda" or Grand Pineapple" you will be picked up from the beach - otherwise there will be transfers to pay.
In resort cost was US$60, but we prebooked for US$50.
You are taken to the the base in Seatons where you are briefed on the Stingrays, taught the "Stingray Shuffle" and handed snorkels and masks. You then get into a small boat - fits 14 people - and taken on a 5 minute ride to the reef.
You are at least a mile away from the nearest shoreline - be warned if you don't like open water!
The boats moor against an anchored pontoon - and unlike one poster states here - it is not an enclosure. The Stingrays are free to come and go as they please.
The reef is outlined by floats for your benefit. There is no fencing of any kind.

The depth is variable - but when we visited, it easily came above my shoulders (I'm 5ft8) although we were told it can be as shallow as waist height. Floatation vests are available if required.

You are given the opportunity to feed or handle the Stingrays. It's a wonderful experience and I would urge you to have a go.
The Stingrays will brush up against you and they are very heavy so do move you about a bit. They also nibble and suck at your skin which is a strange feeling!

This was a highlight of our holiday and very memorable.

Photographers are in the water with you and you can buy prints when you get back to Seaton (US$15) but, you are free to bring your own camera or camcorder so there is no obligation to buy the photos taken.

11  Thank sblore