“Blagdon's Manor - Great Place”
Review of Blagdons Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Southwick
Blagdons Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Southwick
Cuxton Kent
“Blagdon's Manor - Great Place”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My son got married on Saturday and several friends and family needed to stay in Southwick for the Wedding. Blagdon's turned out to be the perfect place. It is right in the centre of Southwick, near the Church and The Barn Theatre where the reception was to be held. After a few calls to Dennis the proprietor, I did wonder what we were going to find (Fawlty Towers did come to mind), as he tends to not build your expectations too much after bad reviews on Trip Advisor. It is not your typical bed and breakfast. It is a very large house but well maintained. The owner does not live here, so best to advise him of possible arrival time. He does his best to make you feel at home. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms unless you request them, but you can help yourself in the kitchen - so just like home. I would say if a group of people want to stay together near Brighton, this is the perfect place. You more or less have the run of the house, a great lounge to get together and chill out in. The breakfast was adequate, cereals, fruit, bread or toast, good selection of jams and marmalades, orange juice and a breakfast cooked freshly for you if you wanted that. There is a beach at Southwick and a lovely green, which our room overlooked, and a variety of shops nearby. We all had a great time and felt that staying here really enhanced our experience of the weekend - well done Dennis - we all thought you were great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JeanSheridan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I don't know what the fuss is about, iv used this hotel loads for work as its in between Brighton & Worthing which is great for me, it's amazing value and found Dennis the owner very pleasant and accommodating and spent ages chatting he went out of his way to fit us in at the last minute hes a really nice bloke, we always recommend it to friends and colleges and never had a problem, I found it warm and cosy with a friendly atoms-fear,
I work for a local radio station and we even put up our guests there,
don't go by a few bad reports try it for your self,
J

• Stayed September 2012
Verona, Italy
Reviewed June 23, 2011

3 friends travelled to England and on recomendation had a good 3 nights at Blagdons Manor. Hotel Manager was kind spent time giving information a large room with 3 single beds very comfortable.Large Bathroom off the bedroom. Good transport links to all areas.The weather was cold but the good memories made up for it,will come back one day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We saw the hotel on the website and thought fantastic. We arrived and realised the website is a joke and its nothing but lies page after page.
We arrived at 4pm the hotel was empty. My mrs had to phone and all we got was a staff member from a local care home come to see us. My Mrs then had to bully him on the phone to come sort the mess out. We had a 4 year old with us, he wanted to put her in a cot, then it was a room on her own - where does he get these ideas from. We finally got a room with 3 single brass beds. these were death traps, pieces of them coming off, and the squeaking was just too much I almost had to sleep on the floor.
Wires were exposed with no light fittings. No kettle /tea fascilities in any room, no tv in any room. he lent us a Tv that didnt work,
Breakfast was not the full english we had read about. It was 2 rashers of bacon and one egg with some microwaved beans which we had to ask for. next day we asked for some sausages as well. So it was one sausage one rasher of bacon and one egg. we were told he had no beans now. I had scrambled eggs i could have eaten with a straw. Once breakfast was done he disappeared until the next day.
Rooms were so dirty I had issues with my asthma. if you like cobwebs you will love this place, even the cobwebs have cobwebs.
Wood window in my other daughters room was so rotten it literallty came away in my hands leaving exposed glass.
Our room had a carpet that didnt even cover the floors to the walls. The tiles on the stairs were unfinished.
We stayed 2 nights. Bedding was not changed and the room was not cleaned while we stayed there.
The table cloth was dirty both days in dining room.
he had no idea if a deposit had been paid or not, or even how much was quoted. the price changed twice during the weekend.
Towels in the bathroom didnt even wrap around us. and no clean ones were issued on our 2nd day there
He even claimed he was a 4star boarding on a 5star. In his dreams. I would have put it at a 1 star and only just.
he wore the same clothing for the 3 days we saw him and on the last day smelled a little too fresh for us.
He also told us a lot of people cancel cheques once they have left. This should be a sign to him to sort out his act and fix the dump up.
i wouldnt recommend anyone stays here unless your used to no service, toast for breakfast and dirty rooms.
Also there is no beauty salon, his daughter used to run that and he kicked her out about 3 years ago.
The bonus was this. It has a train station direct to brighton 5 min walk away and a bus route 10 min walk away.
I wonder if his insurance, if he has any allows him to leave the hotel unattended at night while it has guests in it - based on fire regulations etc.
not worth half of the fees charged.

Room Tip: Dont stay here. Its a death trap
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
10 Thank poryu
SouthwickServant, Owner at Blagdons Manor, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
I suppose i should not be astonished with the comments from "Poryu" as complaints follow a pattern.I tried hard to sing the right tune and obviously got it wrong or did i ? The booking was made by a business partner from Hove for 1 double room + cot and 1 single room.The partner phoned the morning of arrival date to be sure a cot was avaliable.At the time of their arrival earlier than expected i was attending my grandsons birthday party.I received a call from my assistant who had showed them to the 2 rooms to request i return to the Hotel straight away as the double room required was needing an additional single bed,not a cot as requested.
I left my grandsons party and attended the request to change the booking arrangement and showed them a room on the lower floor as a unplanned let i asked them to inspect the room for their requirements which had 3 single beds.The "Mrs"said she would have preferred a double bed however the "man" said he was'nt bothered by this and agreed to take the room along with the single room.
The room was 18' square with a 7 x15 ft bathroom with access to 2 other toilets in the Hallway outside their room for their use.
Later the "Mrs" approached me in the dining room and asked for a receipted account saying the partner from Hove who had booked the room gave me cash as payment.I donot recall collecting any cash from any booking made during this period and asked to see the receipt for this cash payment.The "Mrs" replied no receipt was given ?.This of course was not correct for one would have given a receipt for cash as proof that payment had been made.I asked her to research the partners activity as no cash payment had been made,she repeated the request for a receipt.I asked her if i could speak to the business partner the "Mrs" said she did'nt want to question him about payment.?
Later by chance i was able to retrieve the partners phone number which was ex-directory he confirmed no cash payment was made, a member of staff overheard the couple presumbly on the phone laughing over what appeared to be their own error agreeing that they would settle the outstanding cost.The payment was made for the original booking the up grade was free.

Breakfast consists of toast cereals,cheese and hams and cooked breakfast to order,the first morning eggs and bacon was prepared as requested on leaving the table i noted slices of bacon left on the plates.The following morning the "Mrs" explained that the man didnot eat bacon and requested scrambled eggs and mushrooms,the scrambled egg was cooked in the complimentary manner for generally one does not like dried up eggs.
During the couples stay we had numerous banters about a variety of issues and somewhat suprised their grievences were'nt brougt to my attention.Health and Safety issues if any should have been brought to my attention the said electrical cables are infact obsolete phone cables and have found no evidence of other problems described.
As regards to night porter i personally stood in attendance using a room on the same floor as the complaintant and had i been a resident i would have put in a complaint of the noise made with their comings and goings through the early hours of the morning banging doors making it difficult for any other client to get a full nights sleep.I was particulary concerned as the clients were regulars.
The content of the complaint is a total shambles the booking given was incorrect spinning a line cash had been paid wanting a receipted account saying their family outing was to be booked as a business activity,throwing in personal abuse demeans their own integrity i can only conclude you only see others as you see yourself.
Tripadvisor is a great tool for clients to be able to demonstrate their expectations but not to be used for those who simply looking for an excuse for their negative miserable outlook.

Travelers are raving about these Southwick hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I stay regulary at Blagdons to visit friends and found the Hotel very accomodating wether just for the night or for a week,it is well appointed the rooms individual,comfortable bed and clean.Breakfast to choice relaxed atmosphere,facility for tea and coffee at any time does help.
On reading other guests comments at my last visit a couple from the States thanked the owner of the hotel who personally cooked the breakfast to order spent time with them giving them a history lesson of the area,greatly appreciating being taken for a drive through the countryside which they described as a great attraction,signing 'We hope we will be lucky enough to visit you again.'

A New Zealand couple wrote'Magnificent hospitality at Blagdons Manor',the owner helping their stay by describing the him as a plesant guide and host was such an extra treat.They will always treasure the memories of their stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Don't bother... No wardrobe (coat pegs only) no hospitality tray in the room (we don't get anyone asking for them!), no TV or even clock radio, no toiletries in the bathroom, no glasses, and a very dirty window. You make your own tea (builders only) /coffee (instant) at breakfast and your own toast! The place looks fine on the website, which states that there is a beauty salon facility (surely some mistake). All in all, shambolic and for £70!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank adasludgebucket
brighton
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I attended a Celebration party at Blagdons it was Family, Friends and Neighbours gathering. Supported and paid by a couple celebrating a Anniversary, They supplied canapes and drinks on arrival, three coarse meal supported by a local reputable caterer, served with wine followed by after dinner drinks. The extravaganza went very well and was enjoyed by all,or so i thought!
When attempting to make my remarks i read comments about another participant who you would of thought she was at another premises! How on earth did the complainant judge the value of this event when she spent know money because she was generously treated.
How do you criticise ones generosity no matter how it went. Then she went on to tell us how you should spend extravagantly on yourself with palm trees to have fun. Can money buy you fun? What are you saying about your friends and the life without the extravagant moment. As for my comment Blagdons have a great feel for gathering, inspecting the bedrooms and the communial rooms, gardens e.t.c. a great place to stay over.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank BrightonVittel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwick
Best Western Plus Old Tollgate Hotel
Hilton Brighton Metropole
Imperial
Imperial
#27 of 44 in Brighton

Been to Blagdons Manor? Share your experiences!