“Friend's 50th birthday party at Boscos”
Review of Bosco Nero

Bosco Nero
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Blackwood
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Newport, United Kingdom
“Friend's 50th birthday party at Boscos”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Six of us arrived at Boscos to surprise our friend with his good lady for his 50th birthday on Saturday night. To say he was well surprised when we entered the venue singing happy birthday would be an understatement. Totally unexpected. A big surprise!
Wine and champagne was excellent.
Everyone enjoyed their starters, mains and desserts.
A small restaurant with a great atmosphere and very good food.
Very good service. The owner always makes you feel welcome. Thank you.
We will be returning again in the near future.
Highly recommended restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Donato D, General Manager at Bosco Nero, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you thank you thank you ! You lovely people! I'm very glad you had an awesome evening!

South Wales, United Kingdom
“Brilliant meal!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Came here for my birthday, just before Christmas with 3 other adults. The atmosphere was warming and the staff really friendly. The food was fantastic, we all had 2 courses (too full for desert!) Really enjoyed our meals! Will be going back soon. Lovely to have somewhere like this so local.

• Visited December 2012
Thank you very very much! :)
Pontypool, United Kingdom
“Only the music is Italian”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Bad experience got worse by the minute, went to celebrate brothers birthday and ordered starters, mussels in tomatoe,s, tough n tasteless, wife had prawns, from Iceland or pound land.
I ordered spag Bol, wife had steak, bro had steak n sis in law had steak. They served the steaks as ordered only realising that they had mixed up wife/ sis In law ! Head waitress wanted them to swap meals even though they had been started! Head waitress very condescending talking loudly at table, very embarrassing, not taking comments made, simply saying, have a nice evening. Waitress very apologetic, very nice, all in all food was mediocre, spag Bol looked very anaemic with no flavour, steaks were reasonable and tasty, poor decor and ambience, better to go to Newport for some taste of real Italian.

• Visited October 2012
Donato D, Manager at Bosco Nero, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Only the music is italian, I beg to differ, our chef is 100 percent italian. 29 good reviews about our food can't be wrong. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your evening with us, but we did nothing to cause that. Your issue with the steaks was purely because the lady sat next to you took the wrong steak. One was requested with the sauce on and one was requested with the sauce off. You tried to blame us for the mistake when only yourselves were to blame, I offered to rectify the cooking of the other steak which unfortunately you declined as the other lady was happy to eat it. A mistake which is easily done and could have easily been rectified without animosity. If you had told me once you tried your meals that you didn't like the taste then I would have changed them/took them off the bill but once eaten I can't do anything I'm sorry. We obviously aren't your "cup of tea" . The good news is you haven't got to come back. And I'm sorry you chose us as your venue on Saturday, I just hope the gentleman whose birthday it was had a nice evening.
“An excellent family restaurant with a friendly welcome”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The decoration as stated in another review, is indeed a bit tired and old. But, yes it is nice and clean! Being a bit OCD, I wouldn't be able to eat there if it wasn't! So I'd say, if its wallpaper you want to look at, go to B&Q.

However, The first thing that usually captures you, when you walk into this restaurant, is not the decor, but the lovely atmosphere, with 'front of house' ensuring that diners are cared for and feel important. They take the time to get to know you; which is rare these days!
The food is always lovely, with large portion sizes. So if you don't like a plateful, you'd better say!
I started going to Bosco Nero about thirteen years ago, and must say, I have never had a bad meal. I have tasted many of the delights on the menu, but like to mainly have my special comfort foods!
The Lasagne is outstanding and I particularly love the Pollo Sorentina!

Staff are always courteous and friendly. On rare occasions, when extremely busy, the service has been slower, but is normally good; allowing you to take a small space between courses. It is best to book in advance as it is mostly busy and very much in demand locally, its always worth calling to check though as staff will do their best to accommodate you.

I have eaten in many places, from small Cafes to high Michelin starred restaurants. From basic foods to culinary excellence. But Bosco Nero is my favourite place, it's the place I can take my children and enjoy an easy going meal if I just don't want to cook, a place where you feel like you're with family. I think this restaurant captures the heart of what every Italian restaurant tries to achieve, but most can only skim the surface!

I would highly recommend Bosco Nero to anyone!

“Its where its at!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Love this local restaurant.family run,spot on.food and awesome atmosphere. Much loved night out. Make sure you book and be prepared to wait for your freshly cooked food.