“Visit The Halfway House frequently .”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Halfway House

The Halfway House
Ranked #6 of 6 Blackwood B&B and Inns
Newport, United Kingdom
“Visit The Halfway House frequently .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We recently moved into the area and have visited a lot of the local restaurants and pubs in the area looking for good food and nice places to take visiting friends and family .
We eat quite often at the Halfway . The food is always good and the staff very friendly .
On one occasion I had a layer of paper on the bottom of my curry which I couldn't understand until I had nearly finished my meal . I must say the curry was very nice so that was not my complaint .
I am posting this complaint as I would like to commend the staff for dealing with it very well .
I was not charged for my meal which is the right thing to do .
Needless to say we will be returning to this nice pub .!!!.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My family and I went to the Halfway House for Christmas Day lunch and it was perfect. The atmosphere was friendly, the surroundings were cosy and intimate, and the food was second to none.
We will definitely be booking again for next Christmas.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Corbes
worcester.u.k.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this Pub/Hotel . NEVER AGAIN.
We arrived just after lunch the landlord was cleaning behind the bar. Greeting ! "what greeting?"
"This way to your room", this is the door key and the other key is for the outside door". That was it. The room was adequate, on a par with a Blackpool Guest House. ( no disrespect to Blackpool Landlady's.). We only stayed the one night, so didn't shower till next morning. I say shower, if you can call it that. No pressure, either scalding or freezing and hardly room to turn around in the cubicle. We never saw the owner after our arrival, only a badly trained 19 year old university student who seemed to do everything including taking payment on departure. I did ask for a bill but was told the owner dealt with that and I would be sent in the post. Still waiting.
However I have had my bank statement only to find that they have taken another £26.00 for drinks we never had or indeed I sanctioned. They have taken this after we had left the premises on a separate card transaction. The outcome is still on going as 3 attemps to get an answer to telephone calls have yet to achieve any success I decided to write I have as yet received no reply.
I have noticed that recent reviews all concern Sunday lunch after a new chef has joined them. "Makes you wonder if these reviews are genuine ?
All I will say is if you do stay at this OVER PRICED guest house, MAKE SURE YOU PAY BY CASH.
p.s. WE have since found another hotel in the town which is a gem. and no more expensive, it is on Tip Advisor listings. " ROCK ON".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Nomads07
brad h, Owner at The Halfway House, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I have never had to respond to any reviews before but on on this occasion felt it necessary. I am a great believer in review centres as they have become a major part in our process for making informed decisions and opinions, unfortunately there are occasions when they can be untrue and damaging to business', hopefully we can see these for what they are.
My staff and I strive to offer a friendly and pleasant service to all our visitors which is why i find these comments extremely detrimental. I have not had any contact from this guest quite the opposite, and I am a little confused how you know the payment you mention is for bar drinks when you say you didn't have any, I personally served you these drinks. If you are in the local vicinity soon please call in as i have gathered the cctv footage of this. Please be careful what you write in the future. My apologies for cleaning the bar its just something we like to do.

Travelers are raving about these Blackwood hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Really cannot fault the presentation and quality of the sunday roast lunch. Lovely cooked fresh vegetables and a great yorkshire homemade pudding.

However, there is one gripe I have. That is the portion size of the meat. My wife had chicken and to be honest the amount of chicken extremely disappointing indeed. I had beef which was one slice but just about acceptable quantity-wise but definitely not the chicken. Such a pity as it let down a great meal.

Other than that gripe everything else was wonderful.

two courses for £9.95.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at The Halfway House for 2 nights and had two great breakfasts and 2 great evening meals. In particular the steak and ale pie was the best I've ever had, piping hot, lots of steak and very tasty.
Only slight problem was the fact that the pub was not open all day and there was nobody in when we arrived at about 4pm. Not a problem for us but could have been had we travelled far and needed to be in before 6pm when pub opened.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, the whole place had a nice atmosphere and 'buzz'.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great atmosphere at this pub the landlord is a very obliging. Food is very good and rooms are excellent. Sunday lunch highly recommended - the food is great and it's very good value too. The weekly pub quiz is also a great night out.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Been going there last four months. What can I say . Fab pub Fab staff. Food is simply delicious. Sunday lunch is best around for the area.would recommend to pay a visit you wont be disappointed. Excellent vaue for money.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackwood
Premier Inn Caerphilly (Corbetts Lane) Hotel
#4 of 6 in Blackwood
Gellihaf House B&B
Gellihaf House B&B
#1 of 6 in Blackwood

Been to The Halfway House? Share your experiences!