“Wonderful”
Review of Oak House

Oak House
Ranked #3 of 11 Bruton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here on the 8th July for 2 nights a family party of 10 Adults taking up most of the rooms.
I can only re confirm comments made by previous guests that this is a very Special B&B and we could not fault it.
Thank you Denise and Martin for looking after us all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I grew up in Bruton and the owners of this B&B ran a famous restaurant that we used to go to for special occasions and was always packed. When I got married in 2008 I knew exactly who I wanted to cater for our wedding and take on the challenge of my foodie husband's exacting culinary standards! Denise and Martin excelled themselves and their catering business, Taste, continues to thrive.

We were thrilled to hear that they had opened a B&B in Bruton and couldn't wait for an excuse to try it out. After a hectic time at work we headed down for a quiet weekend at Oak House and it was a perfect place to rest and recharge. My husband does not always share my affection for the rustic charm of old properties, particularly those with dodgy plumbing but he was immediately won over by the enormous shower and wet room. I was thrilled to see some beautiful cake samples and a bottle of bubbly for us to enjoy in the room and it was beautifully furnished. Modern but not fussy or likely to date.

We ate out at the local restaurant of the moment (At the Chapel), which is getting rave reviews in the Times and other national press and being able to walk back to such a conveniently located B&B was fab.

Breakfast was the real triumph - Denise made the time to catch up with us personally but juggled a full house of other guests and gave them all just as much attention. The huge selection of fresh fruits, yoghurts, juices etc is complemented by freshly made croissants and pastries and proper coffee for caffeine addicts like me.

As per my earlier declaration - I'm a longstanding fan of both the owners but my husband and I have high standards and both travel a lot with our work. We were not let down and I am searching for an excuse to visit Oak House again very soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed here on 11th May for 2 nts in the Oak Suite & Chapel Rooms. What can we add thats not already been said - nothing. We came to celebrate a Diamond Wedding Anniversary & revisit where Dad was evacuated during the War. Oak House made it special by just doing what they were very good at 'excellence'. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Oak Suite for more living area.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sally t
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have just returned from a family wedding in Bruton and stayed at Oak House for the two nights. What a pleasure! The room was very stylish, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom a real delight. After a long drive, we really appreciated the home bakes in the room and that should have given us an idea of what was to come for breakfast. The cheeses, cold meats, fresh fruits and pastries were fabulous. I have no idea if cooked breakfast was available as I couldn't see past what was on display.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at the Oak House in the Chapel room, and we loved it. We highly appreciated the mix of original and modern features, that makes the place beautiful, comfortable and practical. Everything is done with good taste and quality: great shower, bed, bedding, lovely breakfast... We would definitely go back and we recommend it.

1  Thank EdwigeUK
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Oak House hotel is fabulous we were upgraded to the Oak Suite which was wonderful. It was beautifully decorated and yet remained homely and cosy. Denise the owner was lovely and really helpful. The breakfast was great with lots of locally sourced cheeses, meats, yogharts and fruit. We were supposed to go walking the following day but the weather was so bad we had to cut our stay short. You would think I would be disappointed but it just gives me the perfect excuse to go back again.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Oak House for 1 night in November 2011 being in Bruton on business.
I was really impressed of the friendliness and efficiency of the owners when I made the reservation. Then I was pleased with a very comfortable room with of a 5 star bathroom with high quality toiletry, fantastic tasty complimentary pastry and marvelous bedding!
Breakfast must be mentioned separately. That day I was the only guest in the property and apart from this fact – plenty of choice from cereals to strawberry were available in Oak House including fine local salmon, ham, soft creamy cheese etc etc.
Thank you indeed for the perfect level of hospitality.
I highly recommend the place to everyone!

Room Tip: stayed at Chapel - very good
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business