“Lovely meal in a welcoming pub”
Review of The Bull Inn

The Bull Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Bruton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bull Inn is a traditional freehouse serving fine ales and delicious pub food, situated at Hardway, near Bruton. We serve lunch Wednesday - Sunday: 12 PM - 3 PM and Dinner 6 PM - 11 PM, Wednesday - Saturday only
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have visited this pub regularly and the atmosphere is always warm and inviting. The food is well presented and tasty and of a high standard. The staff are helpful and friendly. I would recommend this pub to anyone looking for good food in a country restaurant / pub.

1  Thank honey785

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Ate Sunday lunch here with large family gathering whilst staying at the nearby moorleaze cottages.

The food was nice with good portion sizes. I would characterize the food as top-end pub grub. Not bistro-pub but nice, quality family pub food, just what we wanted. Service was excellent, especially when they told me that they were going to not charge for one of the meals because it was not up to their standard. We had noticed but decided not to make a fuss about it. I was very impressed that they noticed and took action.

1  Thank trew68
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We came to eat here and was slightly disappointed. There are lots of reviews on here saying how wonderful the place is and how amazing the food.

We thought we would give it a go. The inside is very dated. Not to my taste but this does not impact on service and food so its not really important.

It seemed fairly busy but being a Friday that's understandable. The food once arrived was average. The names on the board were just posh sounding and the prices were not what I would call reasonable.

The staff didn't seem at all friendly unless it appeared you were local.

It was disappointing to say the least but you live and learn. We won't be coming back.

5  Thank garret39
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have visited The Bull on a number of occasions, both being small and large parties. At all times we have had a warm welcome and excellent meals. The Bull use local produce and all desserts are homemade, the food is served fresh, hot and you get large portions.......Try the Banoffee pie!! :) The staff are very helpful and are happy to meet your dietary needs. The Pub is a clean, quaint place with a pretty pub garden. I would advise to book as can get busy!!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I live in Oxford but have family near Bruton, and we are so lucky to have such a fantastic place to eat when we come to stay.
I've never had a bad meal at the pub and always receive a warm welcome. Ann and Martin are wonderful landlords. There is a great range of local beers and ales, as well as a great wine selection. The menu always offers a good amount of choice and variety, serving delicious meals and generous portion sizes. A lot of the produce is locally sourced which is always something to value in a restaurant.
I love the atmosphere and the decor - it is a proper English country pub. I read another comment that called it dated, but it certainly isn't. It's freshly decorated and clean and comfortable - whilst retaining its original features and wonderful character.

I could not recommend this place more. I've been with groups of friends, with family, with dogs, and for romantic meals for two, and it is always a great experience - both Lunch and Dinner. The front and back beer gardens are spacious and beautiful - great for the summer, and the huge open fire in the bar is gorgeously cosy in the colder months.

It's in a great situation for local attractions and walks, like Alfred's Tower, Stourhead House and Gardens, Longleat. So anyone is visiting these areas should definitely make time for a stop by The Bull!