Gilsland Hall Hotel
$67
$112
Pinegrove Hotel(Carlisle)
$65
All reviewsgilsland spacoach tripcoach partybowling greensome tlcsunday lunchdance floorcroquet lawnlarge hotelhadrian's wallfrench boulesthe hotel is cleangreat weekendwalking grouplovely viewmy mumdining room
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I visited gilsland spa earlier in December as a Christmas work party and expected a nice night out. I certainly wasn't disappointed by what I got the area in which we had dinner was very nice with each table being as equally nice as the next and all well decorated and enough cutlery to last throughout the night. The meal itself was very nice and definitely worth the wait for when I got there as I don't usually eat late! But it definitely would attract me again. All the staff were friendly and the dj we had was very entertaining! Overall for a Christmas party gilsland spa was a very nice place to go and would be tempted to go back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Dan B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had a night Bed Breakfast and Evening meal at the Gilsland Spa. It was my Aunt's 90th Birthday, we met up with my mum and sister, my Aunt's Daughter and Husband. We had quite a nice room but an old people's smell to it. It was very hot in the room, so my husband and I woke a few times. Bathroom was a decent size, but if an older person than us was getting out of the bath I would think it would be quite difficult as nowhere to hang on to. The meal was very nice and plenty of it, the staff were very helpful and friendly. Lot of young people serving on but they were good.
We then went into the ballroom, it was bingo and then they had a guitarist and a singer. He was good but she was terrible, we then went into the other bar area where their was a pool table and darts board and we could talk.
Breakfast was from 8.00am and it was self service a good selection of cereals and porridge to a cooked breakfast and toast, plenty of tea and coffee. It is a bit outdated and could do with sprucing up. Nice being out in the country, if not on coach tours you need a car. It is not really for us it is a Hotel that caters for the elderly person and also people that do ballroom dancing, if that is what people like to do it is the ideal place. We knew that it was this kind of place, we went as I say for a special occasion and it is where my family have been to a few times and they like it. We are in our 60's but not ready for this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Pauline502
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Although my room was very large and comfortable, I was not impressed with the dining room arrangements. You had to order your evening meal in advance and the tables were too large (seating 6). The choice for evening meals was not very variable, although well cooked and vegetables not very plentiful.
The Hotel was 'in the middle of nowhere' without a swimming pool which was surprising. Transport was definitely required as the nearest bus stop was a very long walk.

Room Tip: Facing grounds
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank happytravellers2310
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights as a coach party of 54 persons. Check in was faultless-the room(214) was great ,with a fantastic view and excellent facilities-loads of drawers and good hanging space with plenty of good hangers!
The food was excellent-plenty of choice and served hot and on time.
A great location for all the interesting places of Cumbria and Northumberland.
Highly reccommended,whenever we come back to the area this will be where we will try to stay.

Room Tip: Top floor room looking south.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bowen10
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights as part of a group - some of whom were at a conference in the hotel.

It is a large imposing building situated some way out of the village of Gilsland and we were lucky to have a front room with a fabulous view.

The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and pleasant.

Anyone who has to stay in touch with the office or with the modern world will not be happy here - the mobile coverage is spasmodic and wi-fi is only available on the ground floor.

Anyone who wants a trip back in time to the 60s with retro bedrooms and bathrooms will LOVE IT!

Yes the decor is faded, the plumbing antiquated, the carpets old fashioned and the entertainment dire - but the food is brilliant and plenty of it. The hotel is extremely warm for saying it is located on a hill on the moors and there's plenty of room to sit about and spread out.

Our bathroom was funny - it was a blue bath, bowl and loo and a formica surround to the bowl. Very 60s retro. Quite why the loo roll was screwed right alongside the loo making it stick into one's hip I do not know!

The towels were plentiful and there was a heated towel rail which is very useful for drying other items of hand washing.

The bed was warm and comfortable.
The TV was microscopic but we were out and about and didn't watch it apart from catching up on the news first thing in the morning

Excellent cooked breakfast served buffet style with eggs, bacon, beans, tomatoes, sausages and mushrooms. Unlimited toast, coffee and tea.

I would definitely recommend this stay to anyone who wants to get away from the rat race or have a warm and comfortable base for exploring Hadrian's Wall and surrounding areas.

They do need to sort out about having 2 keys for twin/double rooms though. There were coach parties of elderly people using the hotel and they seemed to enjoy the bingo and comedian and the dancing - there was plenty of room to escape this in the bar where there was a pool table and adequate room for groups of friends to sit and chat.

I would definitely stay here again if in this area.

Room Tip: Front views are superb
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends