“Relaxing, private, secure and beautiful”

and 1 more site!
Redwood Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mechapa
USA
“Relaxing, private, secure and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had been to RBR , but only for lunch. On this visit I stayed three nights and did not want to leave.

The entire resort is perfect for the single traveler, couples or families...start with the beach...just steps away from the cabins and a very safe beach. With the tide out , at least 100 meters of sand, which is great for kids, joggers , or in my case simply walking and you can walk for miles picking up interesting shells along the way. Very few if any others walking on the beach.

The cabins are perfect, there are 6 one bedroom cabins and very close to the water, all with covered decks so one can sit and read or have a quiet conversation. The other is currently two bedrooms, but the owners are adding a third bedroom downstairs. Great linens and good mattress . There is cable TV, but I was more interested in enjoying the view. They offer various tours, but again, I was content to stay by the beach. Around the dining and bar area, there is soft background music also at an appropriate volume level

The owners offer several selections for food and all the beverages one would desire. While I was there fresh fish and shrimp were brought to the resort as well as fresh fruits and vegetables . Every meal was tasty and well prepared.

The owners, Mike and Stacy are pros at operations and customer service. They tailor the service for each guest...if you want to sit and read and relax, they will not disturb you...but if you need assistance, food, beverages , they are there to help. The other staff are young locals that were very well trained and polite.

Highly recommend a visit and I will return.

Room Tip: Maybe best room would be the last cabin to the north. Also check the tide table for low tide and bri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Jinotega, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have lived in Nicaragua for over 4 years, and up until now had never found a place on the beach we loved. We've tried quite a few, but no more. Aside from being a perfect beach - clean, private, lush, no riptides like further south - It is the perfect hotel.
The cabanas are beautiful, well constructed, well cared for and well furnished. Great beds and comfy seating areas are plentiful here, and all with a great view. The linens on the bed were clean, new and luxurious. They are also generous with towels. (I hate beach resorts that are stingy with towels!) Mike and Stacey (the owners) have obviously stayed in hotels before, and understand what is required for comfortable wilderness luxury. Our room had air-conditioning, and they had adjusted the linens accordingly, so that we were comfy, but also didn't wake up freezing in the middle of the night.
The food was excellent. It was fresh and healthy (which can be hard to find), using fabulous local seafood whenever possible. The menu was fun and varied. Meals were punctual and the waitstaff was extremely attentive and pleasant. Another plus was that they have a coffee station set up by 6 or 6:30 am, for those early risers who don't like to wait until 9 am for their first cup of joe.
We were made to feel like welcome friends during our entire stay, by the owners, the staff and the other repeat guests who were there at the time. Neither my husband or I would have ANY hesitation about booking again as soon as possible, or recommending Redwood Beach Resort to all friends and family without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I wanted a vacation...he wanted pure relaxation, I wanted a little adventure...Redwood was the perfect fit for us! We went with the Mechapa package (worth the money for not having to worry of think about anything!)...we booked it rather late, but Stacey was quick and arranged everything for us. We were well taken care of from the time we were picked up from the airport until the time we were dropped off.
We stayed in the owners former cabana (Mike and Stacey even had a hammock made with our names on it...a real special touch), it was lovely...and the view was breathtaking. The beach and ocean went on forever, the sense of peace was fantastic...such a beautiful part of the world (words cannot describe how awesome it is). The food was fantastic (the tuna will forever stand out!), three meals a day were provided for us, as well as limitless drinks. There was a really great group of guests there at the time, and we enjoyed having family style meals with them...it really added to the experience.
We went horseback riding (our guide was amazing!), then kayaking (which was a crazy auditory experience), and then we took the motorcycle out from one end of the beach to the other (one end flat with crazy trees, the other with massive rocks, shells and cliff face).
You could so easily spend your whole time lounging, it took a lot of effort to move...we didn't want to leave this place!
All of the staff were very friendly, we were made to feel so welcomed, and any request wasn't a problem...and the animal staff were all wonderful characters too!
This is the perfect place to go where you aren't roughing it (you have luxuries...I didn't have to do anything or even think the whole time), but it is off the beaten path enough to have a different feel than the typical all inclusive resorts. There is so many more things I could say about this place and the details of our trip...you have to go here yourself and experience it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I are backpacking through Central America. After aborting a potentially miserable, sweaty and wet 4 hour bus ride from Chinandega to Potosi we walked to the bar in the central park to regroup and come up with plan B. After a beer or so the sky opens up and proceeds to flood the city. Fortunately for us, Mike came to our rescue and swept us away to the beautiful Redwood Beach Resort. It far exceeded our expectations. The food, views, and activities were well organized and enjoyable. We are reccomending this place to all of our friends and family and we hope to be able to visit again someday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This review is a year overdue, literally and I am so sorry for the delay. My wife and I came here last summer for our Honey Moon. We knew a little about the place from the web, but more importantly we knew it was unique and away from it all. We stayed from June 11th through the 26th. We chose to get Machapapapa Package because we wanted to relax and have everything taken care of except presents to bring home. This was the perfect decision because it really let us drop all worries. We were picked up with champagne waiting for us and whisked 3 hours from the busy streets of Managua to the sleep village of Mechapa.

Mike and Stacy are so kind and energetic that you begin to relax almost immediately. It is so relaxing that it takes a while to truly enjoy it and settle in. We were the only visitors for the majority of the trip and I think that helped make things so peaceful for us. We had almost every meal in the restaurant and the food was delicious. The fresh seafood from the fishermen down the road never got old and the cooking was terrific.

Our cabana was so comfortable and clean. We were 10 steps from the beach and 50 yards from the water. We had satellite tv for the nights when dinner was done and we wanted to do something else. It was like having our own private beach for two weeks.

Mike taught me to ride a motorcycle which was a high-light because we could take the dirt bike and cruise up the beach and make a place for ourselves to picnic, swim, read, and relax. He also taught me to weld and harvest coconuts; all at my request. (I am a bit strange, but I like to learn where I can). Stacy also taught me how to butcher fish for our meals which hasn't been all that helpful at home, but at least I know now. My wife wanted to milk a cow by hand and we got that checked off the list too. Honestly, the lifestyle there is so different from home and we loved it.

I love horses and we got to go riding through an estuary. I recommend loose clothing and lots of bug spray, but if you like to ride it is cool. If you aren't thrilled by horses you can probably skip that one, I loved it though. The excursions are fun, but the atmosphere, relaxation, and company that Mike and Stacy provide are really what this place is all about. They even bought a pinata for my wife's birthday while we were there! I really highly recommend this place for a one of a kind trip.

Room Tip: Get airconditioning, it is worth it. Have them set up the mosquito net.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at RBR for a week and it was not long enough! The entire week was like a dream. The cabana view of the ocean in pictures does not do justice to what you see in real life, the ocean sand is clean and soft and the water is warm and knee length even when your 100 feet out! We had the whole beach front to ourselves for the entire week, the cabana was nice and cool at night with air conditioning and private bathroom. We stayed in cabana two that does not have hot water but I didn't miss it all; when I got home after the trip I continued to take cooler showers. Stacy and Mike were the best hosts ever, they treated us like family the entire time we were there. The first night we got in after midnight and Mike stayed up to welcome us with local beers and brats! The rest of the week we had fine dining with local meals and drinks that were delicious. We went kayaking, horse back riding through the wetlands, motorcycling, and moro hunting. Its hard for me to pick which adventure tour was the best because they were all so personal and special. Moro hunting (crab hunting) was so exciting I couldn't stop myself from screaming when you run after the crab and grab it with your bare hands. Stacy and Mike not only planned all of our tours but also drove us into Chinendega where we got to experience the local culture. The entire trip was the memory of a lifetime, we are actually now planning our wedding there! I recommend Redwood Beach Resort without reserve, it is a trip you will not be sorry you took and I promise once you go, you will want to go back SOON!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a fun time at Redwood Beach Resort. The beach is gorgeous -- it seemed to go on forever. And the resort itself is beautiful. Our cabin was very comfortable and pretty luxurious -- tv, hot water, very comfortable bed, etc. and of course, amazing view! the pristine beach is right outside your doorstep, as is a hammock (on your porch) and a reclining lounge chair or "day bed", good for two, that is right on the sand under the coconut trees. we spent a lot of hours reading, napping and just enjoying the beautiful breeze on these day beds, which is exactly what we were looking for.

Every meal we had was awesome. As was dessert -- Stacey made a fresh mango sorbet one night and it was absolutely delicious. Mike and Stacey are very friendly and entertaining hosts and will make you feel at home. They offered many activities such as horse back riding, fishing trips, etc. however we were quite content with just chilling and relaxing on the resort :)

Don't forget to check out their "hammock theatre". All we wanted to do on our vacation was chill out and hammock all day so this setup they had was pretty neat for us -- great movie selection, hammocks, and popcorn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechapa
Hotel La Pyramide
#1 of 7 in Rivas
Hotel Popoyo
Hotel Popoyo
#3 of 5 in Tola

Been to Redwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!