“Luna de Miel...perfecto!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mechapa
San Francisco, California, United States
“Luna de Miel...perfecto!!!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This review is a year overdue, literally and I am so sorry for the delay. My wife and I came here last summer for our Honey Moon. We knew a little about the place from the web, but more importantly we knew it was unique and away from it all. We stayed from June 11th through the 26th. We chose to get Machapapapa Package because we wanted to relax and have everything taken care of except presents to bring home. This was the perfect decision because it really let us drop all worries. We were picked up with champagne waiting for us and whisked 3 hours from the busy streets of Managua to the sleep village of Mechapa.

Mike and Stacy are so kind and energetic that you begin to relax almost immediately. It is so relaxing that it takes a while to truly enjoy it and settle in. We were the only visitors for the majority of the trip and I think that helped make things so peaceful for us. We had almost every meal in the restaurant and the food was delicious. The fresh seafood from the fishermen down the road never got old and the cooking was terrific.

Our cabana was so comfortable and clean. We were 10 steps from the beach and 50 yards from the water. We had satellite tv for the nights when dinner was done and we wanted to do something else. It was like having our own private beach for two weeks.

Mike taught me to ride a motorcycle which was a high-light because we could take the dirt bike and cruise up the beach and make a place for ourselves to picnic, swim, read, and relax. He also taught me to weld and harvest coconuts; all at my request. (I am a bit strange, but I like to learn where I can). Stacy also taught me how to butcher fish for our meals which hasn't been all that helpful at home, but at least I know now. My wife wanted to milk a cow by hand and we got that checked off the list too. Honestly, the lifestyle there is so different from home and we loved it.

I love horses and we got to go riding through an estuary. I recommend loose clothing and lots of bug spray, but if you like to ride it is cool. If you aren't thrilled by horses you can probably skip that one, I loved it though. The excursions are fun, but the atmosphere, relaxation, and company that Mike and Stacy provide are really what this place is all about. They even bought a pinata for my wife's birthday while we were there! I really highly recommend this place for a one of a kind trip.

Room Tip: Get airconditioning, it is worth it. Have them set up the mosquito net.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at RBR for a week and it was not long enough! The entire week was like a dream. The cabana view of the ocean in pictures does not do justice to what you see in real life, the ocean sand is clean and soft and the water is warm and knee length even when your 100 feet out! We had the whole beach front to ourselves for the entire week, the cabana was nice and cool at night with air conditioning and private bathroom. We stayed in cabana two that does not have hot water but I didn't miss it all; when I got home after the trip I continued to take cooler showers. Stacy and Mike were the best hosts ever, they treated us like family the entire time we were there. The first night we got in after midnight and Mike stayed up to welcome us with local beers and brats! The rest of the week we had fine dining with local meals and drinks that were delicious. We went kayaking, horse back riding through the wetlands, motorcycling, and moro hunting. Its hard for me to pick which adventure tour was the best because they were all so personal and special. Moro hunting (crab hunting) was so exciting I couldn't stop myself from screaming when you run after the crab and grab it with your bare hands. Stacy and Mike not only planned all of our tours but also drove us into Chinendega where we got to experience the local culture. The entire trip was the memory of a lifetime, we are actually now planning our wedding there! I recommend Redwood Beach Resort without reserve, it is a trip you will not be sorry you took and I promise once you go, you will want to go back SOON!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a fun time at Redwood Beach Resort. The beach is gorgeous -- it seemed to go on forever. And the resort itself is beautiful. Our cabin was very comfortable and pretty luxurious -- tv, hot water, very comfortable bed, etc. and of course, amazing view! the pristine beach is right outside your doorstep, as is a hammock (on your porch) and a reclining lounge chair or "day bed", good for two, that is right on the sand under the coconut trees. we spent a lot of hours reading, napping and just enjoying the beautiful breeze on these day beds, which is exactly what we were looking for.

Every meal we had was awesome. As was dessert -- Stacey made a fresh mango sorbet one night and it was absolutely delicious. Mike and Stacey are very friendly and entertaining hosts and will make you feel at home. They offered many activities such as horse back riding, fishing trips, etc. however we were quite content with just chilling and relaxing on the resort :)

Don't forget to check out their "hammock theatre". All we wanted to do on our vacation was chill out and hammock all day so this setup they had was pretty neat for us -- great movie selection, hammocks, and popcorn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My daughter and I visited April 15-18 and were instantly happy we chose this resort instead of a more congested, overly commercialized one closer to Managua. Nestled near a tiny, quaint fishing village Redwood Beach Resort exceeded our expectations and really measures up to the wonderful reviews others have already posted on this site. Comfortable, clean private cabanas, with lush tropical foliage only steps away from a large, secluded beach. They have terrific excursions to occupy the adventurer and lots of shady hammocks for those who really just came to unwind. Not to mention the wonderful fresh seafood and Stacy’s “custom” creations, which were just perfect for my vegetarian daughter. If you are looking for a slice of paradise off the beaten path…you will not be disappointed with Redwood Beach Resort and the delightful hospitality Mike and Stacy provide!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This location was ideal for our family of 4. We were there for 6 days and managed to get in a wide variety of the activities. The fishing from the panga was a blast with an excellent captain. Exploring the Parde Ramos estuary is also a must do. Getting to and from RBR is a fun part of the adventure, and getting off the beaten track is very worthwhile.
We stayed in palapa 3 for most of the time and upgraded to the 'house' the last 2 nights. The palapa was fine, but with 4 of us the house was really nice and is what we should have chosen from the start.
A big thanks to Mike and Stacey for going out of their way to making our stay really wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My 8-year old daughter and I spend three days at RBR at the recommendation of my family who have visited a number of times. The resort, hosts Stacey and Mike, and the surrounding beach exceeded our expectations. I was unsure if there would be enough activities to entertain my daughter, but between the beach, exploring the cliffs down the beach, catching crabs, and feeding Don Guido (the onsite parrot!), she was always busy and loved every minute. Stacey and Mike were excellent and always available to attend to whatever needs we had and full of entertaining stories. The food was fresh and excellent, the cabins very clean and quiet, and the other guests were a joy to get to know. We will definitely be returning and strongly recommend to anyone who is looking for true peach and quiet at an authentic beach resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at Redwood beach Resort and we loved it! It is perfect for couples or families that want to totally relax and want also the possibility to do some different activities. We want kayaking in the mangroves which was beautiful, drove a motorcycle on the beach, went fishing out at sea and brought back 3 awesome huge fish (and enjoyed them for dinner... miammmm). We even went crab hunting the first night on the beach with Michael and then had a great crab soup the next day :). Our cabana was awesome super clean, with AC and all in cedar with a super hammock on the porch to relax.
Stacy and Mike are great hosts, they took good care of us, the meals were delicious and we had some good conversations around a beer with them and other guests.
We recommend this beach resort to all couples and family that want a good place to seriously get away from it all and still enjoy a lot of activities. The spot is awesome, it's not crowded at all.
We loved it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechapa
Sabalos Lodge
#2 of 9 in Chinandega
Hotel Popoyo
Hotel Popoyo
#3 of 5 in Tola

Been to Redwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!