“The kids really enjoyed themselves”

Exmoor Owl & Hawk Centre
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Allerford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A small family run owl and bird of prey centre situated near Porlock, Somerset, in the Exmoor National Park, in National Trust farmstead. A collection of other animals and Horse Riding for experienced riders. Bed & breakfast also available with bird of prey activities and experiences. Day visitors welcome to the Centre, opens 12noon with Tea Gardens and Afternoon with the Birds Display at 2pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Must admit, I wasn't expecting much, having read the review which criticised the gaps in the show while the falconer went to collect each bird. But on spending an hour in the barn for the morning show, I think that the presentation is well executed. My kids would've tuned out if there had been a constant stream of owls being paraded in. The menagerie of animals in the paddock are very tame and kept us entertained until the afternoon show. This show, which was outside, provided us with heaps of photo opportunities of the beautiful creatures. It has been particularly memorable for the kids because the birds come into very close contact with the spectators, and they were excited to have been brushed by a wing or two!

All reviews
"falconry display"
"beautiful creatures"
"one night"

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a fascinating hour, just 6 visitors in a large barn with a guide with deep understanding of the Owls he had flying to our hands. Between each bird a video about that species' wild lifestyle made meeting them most interesting. He had one owl that had been rescued by the police for only 6 weeks since rescue and the bird was already obviously fond of him.

1  Thank Ian P
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was such a lovely half day bird experience for my partner and I. We are both very interested in birds of prey and found this after searching for trips to do near Dunster where we were staying. As soon as I looked at the website I knew it was something we'd both love to do. On arrival you are greeted by three Macaw's in a beautiful setting which was a nice welcoming. Damien the trainer was so knowledgeable about all of the birds and you could tell he has a fantastic bond with the birds which is so lovely to see. In total we flew 5 birds each - 4 owls and 1 hawk and it was such a brilliant experience. The birds are beautiful and so elegant flying up to the glove. We also stayed and watched the owl show in the barn which again was fantastic and a must see. I would highly recommend this trip. It is something we'd both love to do again!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I bought a half day flying experience for 2 on Travelzoo for £29 and think it was a bargain. It gave us entry into the attraction, a tour of the birds, a hands on flying experience for an hour and s cream tea! The birds look well cared for and the young man who handles them knows them well and has a passion for birds of prey. He answered our questions and we enjoyed the afternoon flying display. There are other animals including donkeys, goats, alpacas and some friendly pigs. I think the package is probably better value than the day entrance fee and would recommend it.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is our third visit to this centre, yet again my family and I had a wonderful day out.
We arrived in time for the barn flying display at 11am, it's so amazing to see the owls fly so close just above your head, magnificent! The falconeer in charge of the flying display and flying experience, Damien has a wonderful rapport with all the birds and is a natural giving lots of information and talking the spectators through everything answering questions with great knowledge.
We ate lunch in the garden of the lovely tea room, the staff were lovely, polite and very attentive given how busy they were that day.
The food was lovely and portions generous so quite reasonably priced.
My 9yr old Grandson chose a baked potato with cheese & beans which was served with a side salad £6.50, my husband and son had bacon & egg special roll again served with a side salad £5.50(son liked it so much he had another!) I chose baked potato with cheese & salad. We all enjoyed the food which was cooked well and the service was excellent. We had homemade cake for dessert, coffee walnut, lemon drizzle, carrot cake all were mouth watering just how mamma used to make!
After lunch we paid £10 for the flying experience, the 3 boys all wore a glove held food and had one of the owls fly to each of them and land on them for the treat. At 2.30pm we all went for the afternoon flying display led again by Damien, his relationship to 'Cookie' the Australian Kookaburra, 'Keela' the Tawny Eagle and 'Mwala' the palm nut vulture was a sight to see, he was amazing. He would hide food under plant pots, inside a cooler box, under rocks, in a tunnel and 'Mwala' would cleverly find it picking up the pots and tossing them aside, it was very funny and everyone they loved it. Damien also stood behind people holding out food for 'Keela' who would swoop down just inches above your head so you get to see and feel the power of her 50" wingspan, Brilliant!
We spent the rest of the day just having a look at the other animals there, the two black pigs were very very noisy and so funny it was as though they were talking to us.
The centre is also a B&B and prices start from as little as £35 a night.
They do have some special offers this summer which end 31st August.
There is also horse riding
I really do not understand poor or negative reviews of this centre, there really is nothing to complain about! my son is the bird lover in our family yet we all had a great time, it really is a lovely day out.
Oh and if you do go there(which I recommend you do) don't forget to say hello to the 3 Macaw's Perky, Marley, and Milo.
If you are in that neck of the woods I suggest pop in ;o)

1  Thank Elaine A