“Loved the Retreat”

The Farm at San Benito
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I loved my experience at The Farm. I was specifically looking for a health retreat to rejuvenate and realign. I was happy with the resort, customer care, food (5*vegan), daily yoga and accommodation. It's a luxury resort that doesn't come cheap, but I enjoyed the exclusivity and 121 attention ( more like 3:1). I stayed for 8 days at palmera suite, and was noticeably thinner/glowing afterwards. I learnt a lot about health, nutrition and the benefits of veganism (tho' I still love my meat):

Highlights:
- Personalised care: As soon as I arrived, I had an appointment with nutritionists/doctors to talk about my health goals. I wanted to detox and rebalance. I was given a personalized schedule shortly afterwards: healthy food, juices and treatments - massage therapy (awesome!), Colema and colon cleansing (first time, felt strange but got use to it). Staff and therapists were v. Professional
- Activities: I'm a yoga fan, so was happy to do yoga twice a day at the main pavilion. It was serene and peaceful. Range of activities is quite limited so bring books etc... I enjoyed walking around town and the vegan cooking workshops
- Gourmet Vegan: Initially had low expectations at the thought of eating rabbit food, but I was really surprised at how delicious, varied and gourmet it was. Never had much exposure to vegan food in the past, but this has honestly changed my viewpoint. My daily diet consisted of vitamins, two juices and one three course meal (changed daily). I looked forward to mealtimes, was pleasantly full and did not crave meat/dairy. Everyday, a staff member would bring freshly sqeezed juices to me, no matter where I was. They have an organic garden and produce their own coconut oil.
- Palerma Suite: Clean, spacious, high ceiling, totally private, green and luxurious. I loved the outdoor showe (felt like an Amazon Queen). The Farm also make soaps, coconut body scrub, mosquito repellent which are provided. Note that there's no TV, but you can rent films (fast food nation, food inc etc). I was happy to not have the distraction
- Environment: beautiful oasis where you can get away and be at peace. I loved the greenery, gardens, secret spots, spa area and free roaming peacocks. There are limited rooms so you can walk around the Farm and literally see no one.

Cons:
- Yes, it's pricey but you pay for the exclusivity. My eight day stay cost around US3,000, but I felt it was worth it.
- The Farm is located in Batangas, 90 mins from Manila airport. taxi roundtrip is pretty expensive, but convenient.
- They should buy newer fitness equipment and expand the gym. Should also include a wider selection of activities b/c it can get boring, ESP I you are a solo traveller
- There are lots of Mosquitos as it is located by the jungle.
- F &B ordered separately from your dietary schedule is charged at extra cost. It isn't all inclusive (but definitely should be considering the price).

All in all, I would recommend the place. I still eat meat and dairy products now, but have cut down as I am more health conscious

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Judy C
There are newer reviews for The Farm at San Benito

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Beware - this establishment is uncompromisingly Vegan. There are no alternatives. No dairy, no eggs, just about nothing comestible that is not either lettuce or coconut. They must have a cottage industry - 101 things to do with a coconut. We had coconut butter, coconut sugar, even coconut 'bacon'. This is overpriced nonsense for fat folk with more money than sense, who are seduced by the pseudo-scientific claptrap into thinking that they can become fit and healthy with no effort. Even the dietary advice is a decade out of date. The dining room was like a morgue and the menu was as enticing as the order of service at a funeral!
All of this is a crying shame. The location is stunning and the territory beautifully laid out. The rooms are delightfully appointed, and the staff first class. If they could curtail the Vegan Gestapo and serve some genuinely healthy food, this could be one of the best resorts on the planet. As it is, I wouldn't go back if I were offered a free stay. My wife's birthday treat was an unmitigated disaster. Having talked to one of the owners, just before we left, it does seem that good sense will eventually prevail. They are considering building a new restaurant, which will serve real food alongside the present Vegan one, which will continue as at present, for the deluded.
I wish them luck.

Antony Moore

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank antonymoore
Reviewed November 12, 2013

After a long and windy drive (due to typhoon Yolanda) we finally made our way to the tree lined roads leading to The Farm. And we are suddenly smitten with the tranquility of the place. Rooms was really beautiful and comfortable with a fantastic T&B area.

The FOOD part was a bit of a challenge for us especially i am a happy meat eater, Alive Restaurant practices a very natural approach towards food and this is the reason why they only serve vegan meals here. Although we were happy with their desserts, we were ailing for something else hehehe.

Perfect place for people who is going through a lot of stress at work.

Thank you very much to the kind staff of The Farm

Room Tip: Palmera Suites have enough space and unique t&b. Fantastic Rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ALM335
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to farm and I expected to be a fail, but no it raised my expectations so high. It was so beautiful. The farm's staff are so kind and it's super close to nature! Such an exercise to walk up the stairs but so worth it. I love it there. Dogs are allowed and almost everything is based on coconut. They serve coconut so fresh! They just chop it down from the tree (you can see them) and plop it falls, cut it open and drink after tell them to crack I'm half and ask if they can take out the meat. The rooms are so cool!

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank BiancaGoes
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I got a villa with it's own heated pool. Though we really didn't feel it was heated at all, the villa was really beautiful, clean and comfortable. Fantastic T&B area!
They only serve home grown vegetarian foods in different tastes and varieties, not boring at all for us. A good break from some not so healthy food in the city.
Except for the pricey spa treatments and food, my picky husband and I give it a thumbs up and we'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: All villas are well appointed. Bigger ones are more expensive though.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MavicL_12
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The grounds of the Farm are stunning. Remote, peaceful and exceptionally well kept - there is no denying that this is a retreat at its finest. The rooms are beautiful and grounds extensive enough that you hardly have to see other people if you don't want to.

However, for the price (I paid close to US$800 for one person, one night, return transfers to Manila, inclusive of standard breakfast and the basic activities) I don't think it's worth it at all. For that sort of money, especially in the Philippines, I expect perfection, and it wasn't.

-There are signs up saying "no mobile phones" around the grounds, but on more than one occasion I saw the staff on them, who appeared to be having a casual chat.
-I spent a good few hours each day by the pool, but always had to get up to find someone to bring me water each time I wanted it, they didn't come to you.
-I was supposed to get a complimentary half hour treatment, but the spa seemed almost rude about it because I wasn't paying.
-There was a power cut whilst I was eating dinner which lasted for 5-10 minutes. I was sitting outside with nobody else around, and it was pitch black with just one tea light for light and no torch (I'd forgotten it) but no waiter/waitress came out to check I was ok - it was pretty scary stuff with just the sounds of the jungle for company!
-Mosquitos were a huge problem for me, so it would have been nice to have some spray/coils in the room.
-wifi was pretty much non-existant round the pools (I realise this is supposed to be a retreat from the modern world, but for this amount of money, you should have the option to make that choice yourself)
-the blind in my room was faulty and would not roll up

I understand why hotels don't give discounts for single occupancy - however, when part of the cost of somewhere like this is towards activities, which one person really can't use two of (where as I could have an extra long shower, for example...) it's a bit disappointing that no discount is given at all.

The food was generally very tasty, and a lot better than I was expecting, although I didn't care much for the tomato salad which was mostly lettuce and not much else. But again my gripe here was the prices. Food was a bit more reasonable, but the juices were pushing US$10 each, which for local and seasonal fruits is extortionate. I'm no expert on the running costs of these places, and I'm sure it's not cheap, but to charge so much for food and drink feels like it's just being done because the people that are staying there are most likely not going to care about the cost, rather than because it's what it's actually worth (plus a bit extra, this is a business after all...)

It's still an exceptional place, and I would love to go back, but I certainly wouldn't do it solo for that price, and I'd only split the cost (ie US$400 each) if they could fix some of these mostly minor details.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank hzanderson
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Returning as a long term guest after 2 years absence from the Farm was amazing to see the improvements. Now there is a contemporary residence option with all the excellent services provided by very friendly staff to the as usual excellent SPA and Food. The only danger now it could go to high in price for the middle class. Enjoy it as long it lasts.

• Stayed: October 2013
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!