“Not a trip but a gift”

The Farm at San Benito
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed with my friends for the 2nd year in a row. It was a relaxing and wonderful experience.
The service, food and accommodations were fantastic. Never having eaten a raw food diet before was intimidating, but it was great. The medical, spa, yoga and cooking classes were all great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank workingjapan
There are newer reviews for The Farm at San Benito

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed one night at the FARM with my mom at the Garden Villa. While it was January (normally not rainy season in the Philippines), it was quite rainy, but we still had a great time. I attended the yoga classes, Abs Blaster, vegan cooking class. What stood out was the excellent service…front desk manager Romi was excellent with his service and provided a lot of perspective. Me-ann (I hope I remembered correctly) was also excellent. Matthew from the Alive restaurant was also very helpful and explained very well whenever we asked questions.

I did have a strange experience in the Garden Villa of Ants suddenly crawling all over me and biting me (and all over my slippers) when I was in the lounge chair, but Romi was extremely helpful the next day and gave me the bug and bite bomb to soothe the bites from the ants.

Overall a great experience. I would love to go back once again.

Room Tip: The sulu rooms are very small. Go for Palmera or above.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank diane C
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I did not know what to expect when i made the booking but was very pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the Farm. It is indeed a beautiful location and has been developed to deliver a wonderful ambiance. My villa overlooked a very green valley with the hills in the distance very often covered with mist. Peacocks taking shelter from the rain on my verandah was very interesting experience. The staff are truly warm and make you feel very welcome. Both Jennifer and Michael meet every guest and ensure you are comfortable and that you are comfortable. I returned much healthier and truly rejuvenated. I will return hopefully in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My partner and I came on an a la carte basis staying in the very cute Sulu Terraces, and very much enjoyed the range of activities (from yoga to swimming to coconut processing) that was available every day. The cafe was the highlight for us and we never once felt deprived of choice or "good food" although everything was vegan. We liked it so much we even bought three copies of the book to take back with us!
The lush grounds were beautiful and big enough to discover a different pocket every day: waterfalls here, meditation "cave" there, yoga sala in the middle of the lake.. perfect for meditating or reading a book in absolute tranquility. We enjoyed getting to know the peacocks, lambs and ducks.
As for the medical centre, we felt well taken care of by the ladies, very at ease, even when they were giving us some very intimate treatments. There are daily specials every day on massage and treatments, so all in all we didn't break the bank though it's by no means "cheap".

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here during Christmas and I cannot recommend this highly enough...the farm really delivered in more ways than one.

Firstly, when you first enter the Farm you can already tell it is a sanctuary as you are greeted by trees everywhere. Once upon arrival, the staff is not only warm but probably one of the most accommodating staff service I've ever had. From the reviews below it is no joke that by even after the first day everyone will have known who you are already. So even if you do go alone...you really don't feel like you're alone.

We were staying in the Garden Villa(Which Mike the Manager kindly upgraded us too, so thank you again!). I absolutely loved the outdoor bath and shower! The patio was nicely set and was overlooking all the trees surrounding the Villa...simply astounding!

One of my main highlights was definitely the yoga classes(Which is why I was there in the first place), you are overlooking at the most beautiful lagoon surrounded by the resident peacocks. The yoga teachers are incredibly professional as well and there are usually enough people to not make it look like a boot camp.

Given that I am a meat-lover, the food was extremely tasty and never knew that vegetarian food could taste this good! The must-have is definitely ALL the smoothies!

I highly recommend this to travelers who are thinking of getting away from the hustle and bustle...not only did I feel refreshed after but my mindset was a lot clearer after too! Also, if you did go alone I wouldn't worry too much because the staff will always be there for you and the managers Mike and Jennifer were one of the friendliest staff managers ever so you will always feel safe.

Room Tip: If your willing to splurge the Narra Pool Villas are the BEST! They are also new as well.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CherryNg500
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My friend and I had some vacation time left for the year, and wanted both an adventure and a memorable way to cleanse and bring the year to a close. The Farm delivered in many ways.

I had done thorough research on The Farm, and actually kind of liked that it did not appear to be "over" traveled. I got the sense that this would not be touristy in feel, and was very pleased to confirm this.

Michael and Jennifer who run the resort are very pleasant and effortlessly find opportunities to connect with the guests and to ensure you are getting what you want out of your stay. Reading so much about this resort being a health and wellness destination, I was very happy to see that no one tried to "sell" me on any medical or spa treatments while I was in residence. Now, if you seek any of this out the staff will gladly walk you through whatever questions you may have. But they are not going to be pushy about anything, which is just what guests want to hear. I can assure you their style is relaxed, and you will relax and enjoy time spent at the Farm.

Another mark of a well cared for resort is when I get to know a staff member and hear their connection to the property. For me, that person is Mr. Elmo, who not only runs their landscaping and organic garden operations, but who has also taken on the role of a Fitness Ambassador if you will (that's a title I have coined, not the resort.) Mr. Elmo has worked for The Farm for years, and I love hearing that he has been able to work his way up within the resort, which is a sign of good management to me. He leads a "Fitness Walk" in the morning at 7:30am and a "Power Walk" in the afternoon at 4:30pm. You are handed a bottle of water at the start, and an hour later upon your return to the resort (as this walk is a great way to venture off property and get a feel for local life in the neighboring villages) you are greeted with a cool towel and a glass of fresh "Buko" (young coconut) juice. You will learn about all of the health benefits of coconut juice, oil and even a luxurious bath scrub (that is in your shower) while at the Farm. I hope you get a chance to speak with Mr. Elmo as he is a special person, and one who cares very much about people's health and well being. On his day off he helps teach farmers about the merits and techniques of organic gardening. He also belongs to a local running club and has run several marathons before, so we were able to connect about running, too.

One more memorable staff member I need to mention is Mr. Bee. Mr. Bee is one of the yoga instructors, and we were thrilled to take seven classes with him while in residence. Mr. Bee currently is at the Farm from Saturday through mid-day on Monday, and taking yoga from him while under the open-air Balinese pavilion is one of the best ways you could practice yoga. I encourage you to try yoga here if you have never practiced before. Start with Gentle yoga and then go from there (he also taught Vinyasa Flow and Yogalates while we were there.) Mr. Bee is a fabulous yoga instructor and they are very lucky to have him there. He also teaches in Manila during the week at a couple different gyms. He has an amazing, calm, mellow confidence to him - and he consciously strives to vary up his classes each day to keep things interesting. If you have any hesitations about traveling so far and being disappointed by the Yoga, Mr. Bee will not disappoint. He is also great at offering variations for the poses and working each person to their ability level; he also does a nice amount of casually walking around to make adjustments that will help you have a better understanding of your postures and thus better your practice.

Ok - the food. I heard some other guests griping about "honey" being on the menu, which is not a generally accepted "vegan" offering. Not being a vegan myself, I was not bothered by this, but I can understand it might be a point of contention at an all vegan resort. (The other gripe I heard was about their own book they published which is called "Raw" though a good number of recipes actually call for ingredients to be heated over the temperature that people tend to view as the threshold of raw, so perhaps the next printing could be called "Vegan" instead of "Raw" as the book was very nicely produced.) I really enjoyed eating vegetarian while we were there. The menu is fairly limited but I always found something of interest at each meal. If you are someone who loves spice I would say you might want to pack an all purpose spice or hot sauce in your bag as we ended up using ours about once a day at either lunch or dinner. The breakfast that is included in your room rate was excellent, and the portions at all meals are enough to satiate without leaving you feeling like you overindulged.

Onto the rooms - we were lucky to be on the first guests to stay in their newly opened Narra Pool Villas. And when they say "pool" they mean pool. Not plunge pool. This pool is honestly larger than it appears in their photos. It's the largest pool I've ever had in a pool room suite. It's awesome. Pack a small intertube float and you will be in relaxation heaven. They have gorgeous in-pool night lighting and they also mildly heat the pool so it's a perfect temperature anytime. I also swam in the large pool which is a bit cooler at night. You can swim mini-laps in the main pool, though it's not a true lap pool. My friend and I shared the Narra Pool villa and their day bed was very similar in firmness to the bed, so we really were able to share the room no problem. The bathroom had a very open shower, so we really couldn't be getting ready at the same time, but I can understand that the primary use of these rooms is for couples. I was surprised that there was not outdoor shower option. The room and wooden fence perimeter off of the shower area looks like it could easily allow for an outdoor shower, so perhaps they will add that in the coming year. The Narra Pool Villas are wonderful, gorgeous, incredibly well designed and are true understated sophistication. They should hopefully win design accolades as they are very noteworthy. They are currently offering a grand opening special on the rooms, so take full advantage of it - we were able to have round trip transportation included in this nightly rate (which also included breakfast) which made it well worth the money.

We did not partake in any of the "cleanses" through their medical department. We both tried acupuncture, and had differing takes on it. We both tried a "Hilot" (traditional Filipino) massage which was fine but not great. The massage tables feel like they have a leathery/rubber pad on them, which makes every move audible. Not so relaxing to hear yourself moving on a table for 90 minutes. I also tried the Peppermint foot scrub which they recommend in the morning before it's too hot as you sit outside on the spa pool deck. It was relaxing more than it was effective, and it gave me an opportunity to take in the beauty of the location and of the resort's peacocks which wander the grounds throughout the day. You will get to meet an all white peacock even!

There is a basic gym and some fitness classes are taught there. The grounds are plentiful and I love that the landscaping is well established. You will fall in love with the 100 year old mango tree that stands proudly in the center of the resort; and at night when you see the shell lanterns that grace the boughs of the tree you will feel as if you just stepped out of a fairytale. I know I did.

Go. Cleanse. Breathe. Experience the Farm.

Room Tip: Narra Pool Villa. Without question. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mmstravels
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The farm is real gem and highly recommended if you have the need to repair your mind and body

Its well managed in a beautiful serene location at 800 feet above sea level so not as humid or hot as on the coast.

Its 90 minutes from Manila airport so an easy run through the often chaotic Philippine Islands

We were new to vegetarian food and it was absolutely delicious, you will not miss your old diet and you will certainly feel so much better afterwards but if you are not prepared to try please please don't go and spoil it for others by complaining about the lack of meat on the menu!

There are a number of hidden bathing pools and beautiful spots to read and be on you own or with your partner

The Healing Sanctuary is exactly that, wonderful massage and spa treatments professionally done and with real friendliness

The scenery is fabulous and wonderfully well maintained

We will return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the new Naira Rooms, fantastic!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!