“peaceful place for a tired soul...”

The Farm at San Benito
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Reviewed October 13, 2011

we stayed only for 2 nights..serene place, very courteous and accommodating staff, varied activities like flower arrangement, yoga, power walk, core training, "cooking" lessons are given for free, alive restaurant serves fresh, raw, meatless, non dairy food and they don't heat up the food more than 40 deg to preserve the enzymes and nutrients of food, spa treatments, colonics, colema etc are offered but we didn't try them..unfortunately, this place is not for us, since we are suffering from high cholesterol, gout, ulcer and arthritis.. their food exacerbate our condition since most of their food have nuts, beans ( not good for those with high uric acid) my ulcer also got worse..i don't know with what...but other guests may love this place if their health is good to start with,,,
another problem we encountered is their sulu terrace accommodation, where you need to go up a steep, slippery stairs( it's raining when we got there) to go to the room yet their restroom is located downstairs...so, since we have arthritis and gout, we had a hard time going up and down the stairs to do our thingy in the bathroom...IT WAS QUITE A WORKOUT for me..but when we asked for a urinal, they promptly provided it... SERVICE IS GREAT but it's just not our kind of "wellness" vacation...

Room Tip: Don't get Sulu Terrace Room...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank checkin30

Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Good: You need to be in the right mindset to come to the Farm. If you're up for an immersion into the wonders of nature and get your health back on track, this place is perfect for you. My husband and I stayed here for 2N/3D. The grounds are gorgeous with several pools and little nooks and crannies that just beckon to you. The place is the epitome of serenity and peace. The staff is also just so wonderful and accommodating and they never seem intrusive. Even the GM, an American lady named Jennifer, is very friendly and gave us a great welcome. It was a bit difficult (I suspect they have limited therapists) but I was able to book a massage at the Spa which was as good as the ones given at those high-end places in Thailand (and trust me, I've been to a lot of them). The food was surprisingly good and creative considering they only serve vegan fare (I highly recommend the pesto), although I can imagine that it can get tiring if you stay for an entire week or month. Their main ingredient is coconut oil and you will taste it in everything, good thing I like coconut so I didn't mind as much. If you love nature and healthy living, you will appreciate what they are trying to do here.

The bad: The room is pretty awful. I had heard about their Sulu rooms where one would have to go down to use the bathroom and since I booked this on promo, I was expecting to stay in one of these 2-level type rooms. Imagine my delight when I was told upon check-in that I had been "upgraded" to a Palmera Suite. In my opinion, the term "suite" is used very loosely because the room is very basic, tiny and the furniture looks weathered and old, I almost felt like I was given the maid's quarters. The only upside was the ensuite bathroom with an outdoor shower that seemed charming at the beginning until I stepped into it and was bitten silly by hordes of ants that were attracted by the soap. I was a guest at the Farm when it first opened and I have a pretty good memory and I think that the "suite" given to us was once upon a time the cottage where the owners lived. My point being that it's not suitable for paying guests (even those that booked on a promo rate) and its shabbiness left me with a bad impression. Good thing I spent most of my time out of the room. According to the staff, there are some pretty nice rooms if you are willing to pay a premium for it.

In summary, I am quite keen on returning to the Farm to partake of their week-long medical programs but with the rates they are charging and the quality of the accommodations, it does not seem like good value for my money. If they lower their rates or renovate their rooms, then I may be convinced to come back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank hidden0rchid
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Overall, this trip was amazing. I stayed 5 nights, and I broke it down into sections since there are so many things to address, with some (very slight) drawbacks at the end. But in short, this is the perfect away-from-everything destination if you love beautiful surroundings, peaceful atmospheres, excellent food and the most helpful and wonderful staff in the universe. Oh, and heaven forbid you forget about the spa!

Food: So, the whole vegan-raw food thing scared me, since I love eating meat! In fact, I even brought big bags of beef jerky and chocolates in case I didn't like the food! But I was amazed. This trip changed my perspective on vegan and raw food. Everything was beyond delicious. I figured fruit for breakfast, salads for lunch and dinner, which would have been miserable. But the creativity and variety not only surprised me, it SHOCKED me! Nut milks and cheeses, innovative ways to cook vegetables (or, rather, NOT cook them), use of the dehydrator.... just amazing. One gal there, bless her heart, actually put ON weight! Oh, and their chocolate desserts are to die for. They came out with a cookbook of a lot of their recipes called "RAW!". I'd suggest looking at it to see how creative they are.

Lodging: I had a Garden Villa, one of the larger rooms they offer. These little humble abodes in the midst of nature will re-center you and get you snoozing great in no time! Each is a stand-alone structure, and they're perfect. They're upgrading the property later in 2011, so I guess all the rooms are getting new everything, which actually makes me a little sad because I thought my room was perfect the way it was. I would not have changed a thing! I had an outdoor shower and bath (HEAVEN!!!), huge bathroom, walled in garden, private veranda and sun bathing area, HUGE wall-to-ceiling windows, an outside fountain.... It was magical. My only complaint was that my stay wasn't longer.

Property: You're in the middle of these beautiful mountains with 200+ year old mango trees around you and giant coconut trees swaying in the breeze. Two great pools (one like a waterfall), gorgeous flowers everywhere.... And the coolest little walking trails you've ever seen. Around every corner is another pagoda or bench, and each are secluded due to the windy twisty turns the paths make. The moss covers everything and gives it this great ancient look. Oh, and the frogs! Everywhere! They're so cute. Peacocks roam the property, and at 7am every morning the goat family (two adults and two kids as of fall 2011) are taken for a walk, on a leash nonetheless. And don't forget the 41 baby ducklings in all their cute yellow puffiness! It's pure enchantment.

Staff/Service: Never have I ever been somewhere with a more helpful, friendly, please-let-me-do-it-for-you attitude. From the moment you are picked up at the airport, there is not a thing in the world they can't do for you. Forget your flipflops? They'll run to town and grab you some. If you inhale with a look on your face as if you need something, they're right there (but not in an overbearing kind of way). The food service staff remembers your preference from the first meal eaten there, and they are great at getting your tastes just right. I had to leave before 6am for the airport, and they got to the kitchen early and made me a breakfast-to-go. Everyone else on the plane is eating icky plane food, while I have fresh mango, watermelon, etc and am making everyone jealous!

SPA: I spent a LOT of time in the spa. I got 6 treatments total, to include massages, scrubs, brushings, waxing, etc (I had a lot of me-time this trip!) The massages and scrubs were great! Best one of all: Massage Under the Stars. It's just you, outside, stars and moon above, the waterfall/fountain and crickets in the background.... It's incredible! Get it on one of your first nights there to set the mood for your entire vacation. Spa was excellent in it's value for the massages given, quality of the products used, and friendliness of the staff. I wasn't fond of the waxing, though, and would stay away from that. Everything else was magical.

OVERALL: For a trip away from it all (and I do mean AWAY!), this place can't be beat. Perfect weather, great accommodations and staff, relaxation everywhere, creative and awesome food. No fancy clothes needed for anything; yoga pants or sweats are the perfect attire! Jennifer and Michael, the property managers, do an amazing job on every aspect, so take advantage of their hospitality and knowledge as they are eager to welcome all to the resort.

DOWN SIDES: The ants are pretty bad there, but they give you complimentary bug stuff, so that's nice. Just be aware that you aren't ever going to get away from the little boogers. Mosquitoes can also cause angst in the evenings if you aren't wearing bug protection. Also, it may be wise to bring an iron supplement with you since you won't be getting your normal iron from meat. By the 5th day I was pretty out of energy, and I think it was because I was low on iron. A multivitamin would have been wise for me to bring along.

Room Tip: Go for the Garden Villa: you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank J A
VeganRules, General Manager at The Farm at San Benito, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dearest Pure Enchantment!

We would like to thank you for expressing your experience in such a passionate way! It is wonderful when our guests feel the same way about The Farm as we do! We enjoyed having you stay with us and hope you will have a chance to return soon.

All the Best with Healing Energy,
Jennifer & Michael

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I had a wonderful experience here and felt the best I have in years after spending a week here. I am by no means a health nut (in fact the complete opposite) so visiting a health farm was a very new experience for me. I kept an open mind and tried all the treatments including the colonic irrigation. By the end of the week the whites of my eyes were bright white, my skin looked amazing and I had more energy than I have ever had.

The staff and management are extremely friendly and make the whole experience very easy. Even during the 'uncomfortable' treatments like the colonic irrigation the nurse's make you feel totally at ease. I love my meat but did not find the vegan diet difficult at all. The food was delicious. When on the fasting diet the staff find you wherever you are in the resort and deliver your prescribed juice drinks (also very tasty).

Some recommendations
- dont stay in the Sulu Terrace rooms. As described on their website they are 'rustic' - aka very basic. Plus the toilet is only accessible by going outside; when your on a detox diet you definitely want easy access to the bathroom. I stayed in a Palmera Suite which was lovely.
- if you get bored easily, bring lots of books as there is not much to do here apart from relax and do the treatments or classes such as yoga. I fully loaded my iPad and Kindle which I was very grateful for as I would have been bored otherwise.

I plan to return once a year to recharge my batteries.

Room Tip: avoid the Sulu Terrace rooms if you can afford the better rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank John C
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I came for a week from Tokyo after a long stretch of overwork and late nights, wanting to get away from crowds and post-disaster stress, and re-establish some healthier lifestyle habits and "work-life balance". The Farm was the perfect choice.

To begin with, the grounds are stunning. Whoever did the landscape design did a terrific job of retaining some of the character of the locale (Lipa City, which is mostly coconut plantations and other farming), but with the feel of a private estate. The facilities are all new and kind of Balinese, but the gardens feel much more established. Not a single corner of the place has the golf-course feeling you can get in some tropical resorts. The giant, centuries-old mango tree is a highlight.

There were two tropical depressions while I was there (basically typhoons parked over the Pacific side of the country), so it rained most of the time, but the skies cleared for at least a couple of hours every day, and it was nice tropical rain anyway. It would have been disappointing if I was at the beach, but this was the rainy season (in a rain forest), so it was fine.

Most of the other guests were there for more extensive cleansing and other healing packages, which meant that it felt like I had the place to myself a lot of the time. The waterfall swimming pool was two minutes walk from my room, and I never shared it with another person. Highly recommended for couples.

The staff was never intrusive, but always available and relaxed. There was a balance of professionalism and friendliness that fits the place very well (not too formal). That applies to the restaurant, front, spa, housekeeping and everywhere else. A lot of the staff members are from the area and knowledgable. I never made it off the property due to the rains, but Lake Taal and its volcano are less than an hour away and recommended by everyone I know who's been there. The general manager Jennifer was above-and-beyond helpful.

I've had stretches in my life as a near-vegetarian, so I wasn't concerned about a lack of variety in the diet. But even if you are a full-on carnivore, you probably won't be bored by the food. A few of the raw entrees were a little too ambitious for me, but the soups, salads, and juices were all excellent. And there is always enough food. I was never tempted to take a cab into town for a change of pace. If you are currently a vegan, you will love it. Meals can also be brought to rooms, which have outdoor dining areas (at least mine did).

In regard to activities, I mostly limited myself to one or two yoga sessions each day. There were three different instructors during the week I was there, and they were all great. The central open-air pavilion where the yoga classes were held looks over the main grounds and has a mountain looming in the background. The website has pictures and they are completely accurate.

Finally, the spa. There is a varied menu of treatments. Everything I tried was world-class. I really thought that two-hour sessions might have been too big a "downshift" from my current life without getting restless or bored, but after getting back to Tokyo, I've been trying to find something comparable that I can do here once a week. Unfortunately, it will cost $300 and up per treatment, so I think l'll save it for another trip to The Farm. The facilities and therapists are perfect. Angel, the woman who seemed to be in charge of the spa while I was there, has such a genuine feeling for service and hospitality that I wouldn't be surprised to find her in management at any 5-star hotel.

All in all, a great week, and I have managed to not only stay relaxed in the three weeks since I came home, but also make some adjustments to my diet and schedule so that I won't be quite so tightly wound the next time I go back!

Room Tip: Garden Villas are beautiful, quiet all night. Grounds crew starts @7am, but no power tools, and I aw...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank LTM_tokyo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This place was awesome. I'm not a vegan and a fan of Yoga but everything else in this place is perfect. The spa was super awesome too.

The spa was too good that we fell asleep the whole time. We were just awake for a couple of minutes during the massage treatment.

The set up of the place is super lovely and we loved taking pictures everywhere. Its fantastic. Super quiet and serene. The staff are friendly and super nice too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angel T
Reviewed July 23, 2011

An organic, raw, vegan, and award-winning resort, The Farm is my favorite place to visit in the Philippines. The food is amazing, the grounds are gorgeous, rooms are incredible, and staff are overly gracious. The master villa is very exclusive with its own pool and gate, with floor to ceiling glass walls looking into the tropical jungle. The spa and restaurant is award-winning, and well deserving of their annual trophies. The medical wellness is staffed by MDs devoted to prescribing detoxification instead of drugs and other wellness therapies.

There are many places on the grounds for exploring and quiet contemplation in nature. Join the many daily activities (included in the rate) such as yoga, power walking, mandala creation, raw cooking class, afternoon tea and raw treats, just to name a few.

Alive!, The Farm's restaurant, is a tantalizing five star splurge at a fraction of the cost of other award winning establishments. The food is organic, vegan, raw, and mostly grown on site. It is fine dining in a heavenly atmosphere. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is different everyday, and every meal takes days in advance to prepare because it is raw. The food is prepared with loving care, and tastes amazing because of it! There are a few cooked dishes that are also very delicious. The coffee, herbal teas, and wine are all organic and harmonize beautifully with the meal. I would suggest the five course meal for around $35 USD or P1000. The drink menu is extensive and spectacular. It is by far the best food in the Philippines, the healthiest cuisine around, and the best food I've ever had!

I find myself coming back to The Farm time and time again because of it's cuisine, beauty, and hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!