“An Awesome Addiction”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Baguio
“An Awesome Addiction”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

An organic, raw, vegan, and award-winning resort, The Farm is my favorite place to visit in the Philippines. The food is amazing, the grounds are gorgeous, rooms are incredible, and staff are overly gracious. The master villa is very exclusive with its own pool and gate, with floor to ceiling glass walls looking into the tropical jungle. The spa and restaurant is award-winning, and well deserving of their annual trophies. The medical wellness is staffed by MDs devoted to prescribing detoxification instead of drugs and other wellness therapies.

There are many places on the grounds for exploring and quiet contemplation in nature. Join the many daily activities (included in the rate) such as yoga, power walking, mandala creation, raw cooking class, afternoon tea and raw treats, just to name a few.

Alive!, The Farm's restaurant, is a tantalizing five star splurge at a fraction of the cost of other award winning establishments. The food is organic, vegan, raw, and mostly grown on site. It is fine dining in a heavenly atmosphere. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is different everyday, and every meal takes days in advance to prepare because it is raw. The food is prepared with loving care, and tastes amazing because of it! There are a few cooked dishes that are also very delicious. The coffee, herbal teas, and wine are all organic and harmonize beautifully with the meal. I would suggest the five course meal for around $35 USD or P1000. The drink menu is extensive and spectacular. It is by far the best food in the Philippines, the healthiest cuisine around, and the best food I've ever had!

I find myself coming back to The Farm time and time again because of it's cuisine, beauty, and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank GuamVegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Philippines
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I must admit, I'm not into the yoga, vegetarian thing. Nevertheless, if you're into those things, this place is for you. Peaceful, serene, lots of space to do some self-reflection or just be with your better half. I wouldn't recommend the place for kids, especially if they have veggies. But the place do have nice pools. We stayed in one of those Ifugao-type huts, where the bathroom is outside the hut. Not ideal if nature calls in the dead of night. But we survived for one day. Food is very good. I was surprised though they did not mix in tofu into their dishes. There are free activities lined up the whole day . . . yoga/meditation, flower decoration, how to make virgin coco oil, etc. And of course, they have very good spa/massage/wellness services, though quite expensive. My tip, don't book them in advance online. They usually have 'services for the day' where they give discounts. Better inquire about them when you check-in. You'll save a little bit of dough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 7107Islands
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The farm was an absolutely perfect relaxing experience. All of the staff were so friendly and obliging and nothing was ever too much trouble. I stayed for 6 nights by myself and it was the perfect recharge - I arrived exhausted and left revived. The grounds are beautiful and there are lots of secret places to read your book in peace and quite.
The location is in the middle of the jungle and very isolated. I unfortunately had an allergic reaction to an insect (not the first time for me) and the staff couldn't have done more for me, they provided me with medical care and salt baths and when I came to pay the bill they didn't charge me for any of the treatments as they felt sorry that I had that reaction - so not their fault!
The food is sensational and the person that gave the terrible review doesn't know what they are talking about.
Overall outstanding, I will be sure to return.

• Stayed June 2011
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I've been hearing about The Farm quite a lot. When we had the chance to visit, we didn't know what to expect.

I thought that the place was far. It may be if you're coming from Manila but my husband and I came from Sta. Rosa, Laguna so it took us less than an hour to our destination. The new expressway, ACTEX made it a breeze for us to travel there.

The room, which was Sulu Terrace was very nice. I fell in love with it instantly. It can be an inconvenience that the bathroom is downstairs but that made the experience very unique. It was very peaceful and it was the kind of relaxation we needed at that time. We were also celebrating our 2nd year anniversary so it was a perfect "us" time.

In the afternoon after we checked in, we went swimming at their lovely pool. Before that, we were able to go around the resort. We were also able to taste their afternoon tea, and some snacks, which were great.

The service was amazing. I think we didn't pay enough for that. That's how good the service was. The place is well maintained. The spa treatments, however, I think are expensive. I was used to affordable rates in Manila. I just had a foot spa the following day, which was very pleasant.

The food was good. We're not a fan of their food but that added flavor to our culinary experience. It was well presented.

The only thing that I really didn't like is the "tuko" (big lizard) outside the room. It was very noisy but then again, it was a place where you should expect that (but I do hope next time, there wouldn't be anything like that).

Lastly, it was a place that the Philippines can be proud of regardless who the owners are (not sure if it is an investment by foreign groups). When we went there, there were a lot of foreigners. I saw very few Filipino guests.

Hope to be back again. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glynistar
manila, philippines
Reviewed May 24, 2011

This is an adult's version of Disneyland--meaning it's like a fairy tale setting, a lush and unspoiled rainforest with all the comforts of an affluent life. It's secluded with so many private nooks it's easy to imagine yourself alone in the woods; three safe and shallow pools including one with a waterfall; very picturesque lagoons, gardens and nature walks; ducks and peacocks that follow you around; luxurious accommodations and facilities, and only nature sounds to lull you to sleep (birds and crickets mostly).
Of course all this comes with a rather steep price--made steeper with the 12% VAT and 10% service charge tacked on just about everything, from the coffee to the food to the massage and the room. Be ready to max out your credit card: a 60-minute relaxation massage cost P3,400, easily four times the price of the same service in the capital city's plushest spa.
We got the Sulu Terrace room which was on 30% promo, and got a two-story separate cottage with the cozy bedroom upstairs and the toilet-bath on the ground floor. As it was raining, we found the stairs steep, slippery and dangerous and vowed to save up so we could get the more costly rooms next time.
The meals are strictly vegan including the dessert (no eggs or dairy) so be ready to get hungry if you're a meat eater. Try the pasta puttanesca though, it's the only dish I really liked. Fortunately, the place provides free afternoon snacks (tea, nuts, cookies) to calm the hunger pangs, so I loaded up on this.
The service is incredible though. The staff is courteous and accommodating and pretty much leave you alone so you can zone out all you want. When I had a bacterial infection during our stay and my husband was ready to venture into town for some antibiotics, the night-staffer volunteered that their driver had fetched a guest from the city and could pass by the drugstore for my medication on his way up to The Farm. And he did! Now that's excellent service!
The only complaint I have is their accepting families with small children in this otherwise oasis of quiet and relaxation. We had to step out of the dining room and take our breakfast in the veranda although it was drizzling (there were lawn umbrellas though) because we couldn't stand the bickering of two boisterous kids whom their parents apparently couldn't shush. We paid good money to get away from it all, so please don't let some brats spoil it. Direct them to the zoo instead.
Oh yes, bring lots of insect repellant. Ants are everywhere, and the mosquitoes can get super friendly!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sojourner0907
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Simply the best hotel in Asia to rest and relax. Food is amazing. They even serve a 75% raw menu, which is very tasty and feel as fresh as possible.
Service is top-class: always present but not overwhelming.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank vorsoni
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2011

The Farm Review. The place is situated in a secluded paradise in what used to be coconut and coffee plantation in San Benito. We were greeted by its manicured lawns, ensemble of coconut, Kalachuchi and many other trees, plus the
Balinese-inspired huts with fine
wood furnishings The place is so quiet and peaceful that you'll only hear the refreshing sounds of water fountains from man-made ponds and the cheers of it's natural denizens. It was nice to see ducks, peacocks and frogs again outside of a zoo or a museum. The staff were so warm and accommodating. We stayed at the Sulu Terrace, a modern rendition of the Ifugao hut. The elevated aircon room has a very relaxing, rustic feel.  Below it is the bathroom (love the organic body scrub and coconut soap) and the cozy lanai. The Farm is a perfect getaway for busy and stressed people who wants to relax and unwind but has no time for long travels.  The bus ride from Makati to Lipa, Batangas was less than an hour and another 15 to 20 mins to get to The Farm. It is a great quick escape from the noise and other toxicities of the city. While the place is best for solitary travel (if you
intend to soul search or avail of days-long detox program) or for couples' weekend retreat, they have fun activities too for kids like kite flying and fishing (which we all
really enjoyed as it became a unique family bonding activity). Also, the warm waters of South Pool (infinity pool) and Waterfalls Pool  had proven to be very engaging for both young and adult. As for the food, they only have one resto- Alive! It offers pure vegan
repertoire in a fine dining serving at a three star hotel price.  If you are not ready to go vegan, be ready for the withdrawal symptoms (ours was eating chicken and rice in our sleep).  The massage offerings were similarly unfriendly to the pocket. Overall, we had fun but could have been happier if we could afford the luxury of a five- to six-digit full accommodation and wellness program at The Farm.

• Stayed April 2011
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Pico Sands Hotel
Pico Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!