“Not, by any standards, Appealing”
Review of Anfa Royale Hotel

Anfa Royale Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lipa City
Manila, Philippines
“Not, by any standards, Appealing”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I prefer to stay here than anywhere else when in Lipa because it is centrally located, being just a stone's throw away from Robinsons Mall, Starbucks, Army Navy (a local burger joint), Shakey's, and Big Ben (where a lot of fast food chains are situated). SM Lipa is also not far from this place and it's just a quick shuttle ride away from the hotel. Unfortunately, this place is not, by any standards, appealing. The facade and lobby might look nice and renovated, but their rooms are just horrific.

I have stayed in almost all types of rooms here, from the basic ones in the old building to the huge ones in the main wing, and not even once was I happy. The small rooms they have in Building B are already dated. Yes, they do clean the rooms, but I have had plenty of problems with these rooms than in any other hotel I have stayed in: clogged toilet bowls, dirty and stained linens, broken lamps, busted bulbs, power outlets with no power, malfunctioning water heater, and many others. Plus, their TV set is already too old and so small that what you're watching is hardly visible from your bed.

Also, as if these were not enough, the service in this hotel is just terrible. The reception will call you to force you out of the room when it's almost check-out time already, and it's irritating, especially because their clock is 10 to 15 minutes ahead. Once, I had to pay extra for overstaying in my room for an hour because they set my check-out time earlier than the time I got in my room. I cannot imagine having to pay this amount when I waited a good 30 minutes outside my room because their housekeeping had not tidied it up even when I reserved in advance. They could have asked me to wait in the lobby while they fixed everything, but they escorted me to the room and let me see the entire cleaning process instead as if I'm attending a housekeeping demonstration of some sort. This is not to mention that I had to carry my heavy bag while they were sweeping the floor and emptying the trash bin in front of me. What a horrendous experience!

Anyway, not all their rooms are old. Their bigger suites are newly-renovated but they're extremely overpriced. I stayed in one of these rooms once because I thought the experience would be better, but I felt like I was totally ripped off and I never dared book again. There's no way I am sleeping again on a foam mattress with no topper for the price they're charging for these rooms. Their bedding sets are also substandard even for a three-star hotel. The bed was very uncomfortable and difficult to sleep on and the pillows were hard as stone. The TV was big and wide in these rooms and the bathtub was okay, but other than those two things, their expensive suites are far from impressive. I could get a better and more decent place to stay in in Manila or Makati for the same price.

If you can, by all means, avoid this hotel. Otherwise, if you want a stay that's less than a complete disaster, book their newly-renovated rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank xero9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calamba, Philippines
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Facilites just average, you can find in any other hotel. However, there are flies in our room. WORST SERVICE! For all the hotels we have encountered all over the Philppines (we are auditors moving around from Luzon to Mindanao), this is the WORST! They don't serve service water, they charge delivery of breakfast to room (50pesos) AND they don't allow delieveries from outside establishments. VERY STUPID MANAGEMENT. They are very hesistant in giving your requests (plate, hot water) and ARE VERY STUBBORN. You have to ask for the towel and shampoo, etc. They don't give those during clean-up. Breakfast is VERY BASIC. Just corneed beef, hotdog, tocino with slices of vegetables you cannot eat due to poor quality AND you have to eat what is available for the day. Manager speaks so fast. THEY ARE NOT WELCOMING.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Cheska102014

Travelers are raving about these Lipa City hotels

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Poor customer service we checked in at around 6pm and advised that we can stay 24 hours now theyre asking us to check out 12nn im aware of hotel policy on check in and check out time. They shouldnt have told us that we can stay 24 hours so we can make necessary adjustmnts

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Marionjhon
Baguio City
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Rooms were affordable but small.
Very limited choices for breakfast... Good thing, the location was a stone's throw away from different establishments.
The place is walking distance to Robinson Mall where you can have your meals and shop for needed things.
Staff is helpful and were very polite in answering queries.
Just don't expect too much and you'll be satisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Percuseon
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is average n good for travellers as located in the centre. It's close to Big Ben n SM Mall is also not far away. Shakey's Pizza is also round the corner n many other joints. At first when I got the standard room I thought I have got the wrong hotel as it read clearly in the room "Management not responsible for your belongings" but then when I requested for upgrade they gave me a very good room just above the reception n was good, I wouldn't say like extra ordinary but good n safe. I would recommend to business travellers.

• Stayed August 2013
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My cousin and I check in at this hotel last December 2012. I researched online and saw what seems to be their website anfaroyale.0fees, call the number posted there and reserve. Our phone reservation went smooth but when we check in we were told that their price is slightly higher and that the website was not yet updated,to check the real prices( try to Google search izalakwatsera)when we saw the room their offering for superior single I really thought that cheap hotels in Edsa were far better,so I decided to upgrade. We were not able to eat our complimentary breakfast due to another misinformation,the bathroom smells salty..or is it rusty?Bathtub is draining when it shouldn't be and yes we have to call the maintenance because no matter what we do we can't make the salty water hotter. The Hotel lobby and pool area is nice and cozy and its walking distance from Robinsons Lipa, Cafe de lipa however they could have improved their service and be honest with customers inquiring either online or thru phone and please inform your receptionist/desk of your updates.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank izalakwatsera
manila
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I decided to stay in this property for a short visit to Lipa. Taking the advise from the other reviews, I asked to stay in the new wing.

Pros:

Clean room and bathroom
A/C is strong
Blackout curtains successful in keeping the sunlight out
Breakfast is included - basic fare with rice, corned beef (for the day), egg and coffee.
Near Robinsons Mall - walking distance
Next door to Cafe Lipa coffee shop for your caffeine fix
Parking was in front of the building - easy access

Cons :

Hot water took a few minutes to get hot
Water had a salty smell but still acceptable to shower

There is a very small sign located on main road that is on the street where you have to turn in. It's the street between the Robinsons place and Shakey's.

Room Tip: Get the new wing.