“What a stunner !”
Review of Dionysos Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kumlubuk
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

This is a place to just relax .for that it is perfect .. The location is stunning . On the edge of a canyon that reaches down to the sea at Kumlumbuk bay .
We had a cottage suite at the very top and the view was truly breathtaking . The price to pay was the 200 steps to get to it . Please bear in mind that this property is mist vertical . Having said that 2 60ish averagely unfit people managed the climb 2 or 3 times every day and are now much fitter from the effort .
Previous reviews have commented on the lack of choice in the food . The quality is very good and it's fresh having come straight from their farm . It could be varied more day to day but the buffet and barbecue night s are very good with loads of mezes to choose from. There could be more at breakfast and I echo the surprise that the orange juice comes from a carton . These are minor niggles though .
The point of the Dionysos is the overall peaceful ambience . This
And it's relative isolation engender a very social atmosphere . People talk to each other . Share experiences like the boat trips . Share tables at dinner chat and engage in good conversation and form ephemeral friendships . Okay not mates for life but certainly for the week .
The beach club is still being completed and was only open during the day but it will enhance the experience .
The nearest town Turunc has little to offer . The restaurants are mostly not great . There are possibly 2 that are up to scratch . The shops sell mostly low grade tourist tat . This is not Kalkan or Kas .
As a result you will spend most of your time at the Dionysos so I recommend the pre bought meal deal. It will save alot . The hotel knows how to charge too so expect to pay for the extras .
Expect also to meet nice people friendly staff and welcoming owners . Enjoy one of the best pools anywhere .
Don't expect riff raff the pricing policy certainly should put them off !
We had a lovely week and thanks to all staff and other guests who made it so .

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank steelman53
diomanagement, Manager at Dionysos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful and comprehensive review. We were happy to read how you enjoyed the ambience, food, boat trip and your fellow guests company. We hope to see you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Dionysos Hotel

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This review is impressionistic rather than detailed. I had a wonderful week with my husband at this hotel. It just seemed to me to be absolutely beautiful, comfortable, romantic and lovely. The beds are so comfortable I seemed to be floating. I have a trapped nerve in my neck and hadn't slept through the night in two years until I arrived at the Dionysos. For that alone I would award them five stars. I believe that the true quality of a hotel is tested by its reaction when things go wrong and when one tiny thing went wrong (weather-related and absolutely no fault of the hotel's) it was fixed immediately (literally - I rang Reception and a workman knocked at our door within four minutes) and with absolute courtesy. I was so very tired in body and mind when I arrived and now I feel myself again. And what else is a holiday for? I swam, I ate, I drank, I slept. All with absolute pleasure. The Oxford English Dictionary defines hospitality as 'the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.' The owners of the Dionysos embody that definition and I thank them for a truly lovely week.

Room Tip: Take a cottage. They are so lovely. Like pretty little houses.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bushbaby70

We enjoyed reading your impressions and hope that your neck problems have not returned. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at the Dionysos Hotel whilst attending one of Exclusive Escapes specialist weeks where i took part in the Method Putkisto classes.

However this review is about the hotel and not about Method Putkisto.

Having read the last few reviews, putting them together more or less describes the things that need changing quiet accurately.
My experience was very similar with a few added pointers.
The hotel is just over 2 hours to get to from Dalaman airport. Due to the upgrade in Stansted i was entitled to a private transfer, the experience both from Stansted Private terminal and once arriving in Turkey and going through CIP was faultless, I highly recommend it.

The Stansted private terminal was a peaceful haven away from the hoards of people queuing and all the harassment of security at busy airports, this was all done in a very professional and civl manner very quickly.

On board there are not big seats but the middle seat is unoccupied and it makes all the difference.

Once at the other end you are taken very swiftly through passport check assisted by EE representative who was very helpful.
Then there is light refreshments waiting for you in a very pleasant setting whilst your luggage is picked up bought to you and then the private taxi whizzes you away. This part of it made it for me comfort wise.

Once at the hotel, we were all arriving more or less within 20 mins of each other and were offered a drink and a form to fill in. Then given a key to ones room.

Here I agree with other reviews, I did not like the idea of finding my way to my room via a map. It wa getting dark and some of the rooms were a fair walk away and quiet high up they could be reached by steep steps or one had a long walk all the way round.

The room was clean and very tidy, the bathrooms were nicely done. Tea coffee making facilities were available although i travel with all my own including my China cup that accompanies me all round the world as any previous reader of my reviews know.

Cannot drink out of awful room cups hoteliers tend to leave for room guest to use.

Irons and ironing board was in the room, so was a hair dryer.

Air conditioning took a bit of working out but once it was figured out easy to use.
unfortunately one can never guarantee the weather and this is not the fault of the Hotel, but what is, is that the hotel must make contingency plans as where one can go to eat and keep warm.

The restaurant area is a fair way from some of the rooms, once we got there most evenings it was very cold and raining and one night we all sat with our jackets on and requested pashminas to keep warm. the next day we requested that the faulty heater above should be fixed as it was uncomfortable eating in there.

Once dinner was finished there was no where really to go apart from the bar area, but this was not at all appropriate due to the weather, but no communal room where during the day the excise classes took place was not warmed up and shown as an alternative. so the choice was the bedrooms again, which were not welcoming on a damp night.

By the 4th night the heaters were working and it was better.

From what I understand the food has been the same for some time. there was a menu but not enough choices, the menu of the day consisted of one of the Ala' carte choices so if one was staying a full 14 days this could get rather repetitive. This needs to be looked at and more choice offered.
It is not correct to state menu of the day and just take one of the regular things of the menu and put it in as menu of the day.

Breakfast was ok but again not enough choice. friday morning there was traditional Turkish pancakes which were delicious. But rest of the week it was the same. Juices were concentrated and not fresh and again I found this a let down.
food portions served in the evening were not very big either.

Lunch time menu was available at the bar but would say quiet expensive for the tiny portions served.

On two nights out of the 7 there were supposedly buffet and BBQ. again the starters were very minimal in choice, the dessert there was only three but what made it all look very mean was the traditional Baklava dessert which is a very small square pastry was actually cut into two, this was not what I expect to see for the amount this hotel or EE charges for a half board stay.

The vegetarian options were commented as not really tasteful.

The Spa

I am sorry to say but this is not a Spa, when one reads there is a Spa I am imagining that if the weather is bad I am going to spend the day in a Spa, this consisted of two beauty rooms, there are no other facilities such a saunas steam rooms or Spa pool. this really is a very inaccurate description, and the rooms certainly need doing up. However I understand the massages were lovely but again highly over priced considering they are carried out in a beauty room and not a Spa.

The beach club was not fished so could not be used on the 3 days that weather would of permitted.

The other gripe was the Wifi, one must bear in mind you are quiet cut off as the hotel is built in a canyon so unless you one of the brave that can drive down the mountain on steep roads, you have to pay for expensive taxi ride into the nearest town 25 mins away or your cut off.

They had decided to change the modems of the wifi, the week we were there this meant the whole thing was not good at all and very frustrating.

The views fro the pool were stunning and it was a lovely size.

The nice touches from Exclusive Escapes were lovely beach towels that were gifts and also Olive oil packed nicely for one to take home. The representative Yaprak was helpful.

However a lot of the things you had to point out and ask for, the hotel and its staff were not initiating to correct faults some of the areas that people had a problem with.

The staff seemed very tried and were working very long hours there till very late at night and again serving early morning.

The owner always seemed on hand and was happy to talk to the guests.

Would I go again probably not to this property, would I recommend it Yes but after pointing out the faults.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the lower floors otherwise you have more then a 100 steps to climb
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank DuquesaLondon

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We shall take your comments re the menu and food under consideration. We apologise for the problems experienced with the Wi-Fi during your stay, but a new system had just been put in place and we did experience some teething problems. We are happy to report that the system is now working as it should.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The setting is outstanding in lovely grounds overlooking the bay of Kumlubuk and beyond.The accomodation is very good and spacious and the swimming pool superb. However, there are a number of factors that need to be addressed in order for this to be classified 'very good'.It is 'just average'.
We arrived in the evening and were just given a diagram to find our cottage, as obviously it was not deemed necessary to accompany first time guests to their rooms.
It is not recommended that one drinks the tap water, but no bottled water is provided in the room. Guests are invited to purchase water from the 'mini-market' in the grounds at 5 times the regular price plus a 7% service charge (from a self service shop!!)
There are potentially stunning views from the rooms, but these have been impaired by allowing bushes to grow in front of the rooms and block the view.
We had a problem with stinking drains in our accommodation resulting in three visits from staff to try and resolve the problem. They never did and we received neither explanation or apology.
The food is generally of a poor standard. Fish dishes are cremated instead of being cooked!
Perhaps it is because guests are virtually a captive audience, but the menu is uninspiring,unimaginative and very expensive. Buffet dinner for 100 Lira each excluding wine is not a good deal. Wines are probably the most expensive I have encountered in this part of Turkey. A carafe of house wine for L45 (plus service charge) is exhorbitant as is a bottle of water for L6.
The beach is unimpressive, not even shingle but of a type of shale and I would rate the beach club as 'average'.
Surprisingly, many of the guests had made multiple visits, returning year after year, so the Dionysos must must have its appeal to some - but not to us!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank TonyRoberts
diomanagement, Manager at Dionysos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Mr Roberts
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Water is provided to all guests in their fridges on their first night.
No service charge is added to mini-market purchases.
The service charge, which goes to the staff as a gratuity is only added to restaurant and bar bills.
Trees are trimmed, but not not totally pruned back as most guests prefer to have the shade they povide outside their accommodation.
We apologise for the problem wih your drains and it is unfortunate that it took our technical staff until the 3rd visit to discover the problem and replace a cracked pipe.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay wih us, but hope that you continue to visit and enjoy Turkey!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently spent a week here and came away with mixed feelings on the place. I think it's important to get some background to reviews, so this is mine:

* 4th trip to Turkey, Istanbul is one of my favourite cities
* Lived in North London for 15 years (along with some German cities, has one of the largest Turkish communities in the world outside Turkey - so very familiar with Turkish food)
* Usually travel independently and had not gone on a package holiday before.
* Holiday was £2300 approx for 1 week B&B with flights (and would have been £3100 if it were not for the early booking discount by booking 10 months in advance).

As The Dionoysos is 100% booked via Exclusive Escapes, we were impressed with the people on the phone and the quality of the website. The website is almost too good if you know what I mean based on our stay - it makes everything seem very glossy and photogenic. I did call asking for an upgrade to "business" class and EE did not return my call but having seen it, I'm glad they didn't as I do not believe it offered sufficient value.

Anyway, the good things:

1. The pool is superb - it has to be a candidate for one of the best pools in The Med. Swimming is an absolute pleasure here.
2. Location - the gorge the hotel is built into is stunning
3. The weather - the Turkish climate is very reliable and sunny in summer
4. We had a pool villa (Kaselik) and the size of the pool was large and well maintained
5. Yaprah, the rep was a nice lady - genuinely kind and friendly
6. The bar area is very pleasant for lunch.
7. The staff - friendly bunch. Please see negatives also.
8. Efes on tap - a great beer
9. The pistachio Magnums sold in the ice cream freezer by the pool - although these ran out after a few days.
10. The transfer back was well organised

Many mention the steps but we knew what to expect. My wife is expecting a baby and still managed the 180+ steps several times a day, so don't let these put you off. They actually got far easier as the week got on!

The things we didn't like:

1. The main gripe was the food - we found this to be a disappointment. The food was surprisingly bland and whilst I have no objections to the cost of good food because it was so average it seemed overpriced as a result. The Meze wasn't great, the menu advertised "potato puree" (so you think Joel Roubochon in Paris) and it turns out to be bog-standard mashed potato. The buffets were marginally better, although desserts were not kept cold and they sat out in the 23C evening air. This was compounded by the marketing pitch beforehand of the owners daughter being a top chef in Istanbul and her acting as "executive chef". The simple grill houses and kebab shops on the Holloway Road and Dalston are a LOT better than anything served here, having London costs and yet are a fraction of the price.

The beach club restaurant looks promising but due to a different ownership structure (despite the same staff wearing the same uniforms) you have to pay with cards or cash to eat here. It's billed as a fish restaurant but when asked what catch of the day was, we were told it was salmon!! They do not appear to get fresh fish every day, which given the location and the quality of Turkish fish restaurants generally this was a big disappointment. There is also the occasional waft of sewage as you eat. And dinner will costs over £100 and the portions are micro.

2. Breakfast was OK if you went early. The options were limited and became a bit sweaty and fly-blown after a while. No fresh juice, which is a shame when the roadsides were full of people selling oranges and pomegranets (didn't see one of those all week at The Dionoysos). They do serve gozleme (Turkish pancakes) on Fridays and they were very good. We ate breakfast in our villa after going shopping in the nearby town of Turunc - the nectarines were excellent.

3. Air conditioners were a little unreliable. They remote controls have a sticker stating to keep this at 23C - we ignored this as I think most people do. Walking around the complex, the Japanese AC units were quiet and the Turkish ones were nosiy and rattling - who'd have thought it?

4. Sleeping was an issue - we haven't slept as badly on holiday ever. Two factors - the AC temparture varies (it may have been the electricity supply) and as I've slept with a duvet since the early 1980's, the very small sheets/blankets weren't ideal.

5. The arrival.welcome wasn't great. Whilst you're offered a drink, you have to fill out a form and then given a map and told to find your room. After a 2 hour delay, a 4 hour flight and a 2 hour transfer it would have been nice for someone to take us to our room.

6. The DVD rentals are shocking - all pirate copies and a real mess. They should invest in a proper system administered by reception with official DVDs.

7. The non-alcoholic drinks selection was poor. Practically no mocktails and the home-made lemonade gave you heartburn after a single sip - nasty.

8. The sofa was made of foam so uncomfortable that we had to drag a spare mattress in and make a camp on the floor (this was actually far nicer than it sounds).

9. The staff - whilst a nice bunch, not once in a week was I asked "would I like another drink?" - you have to ask for everything and "fight" to grab their attention. They appear to be very over-worked and somewhat jaded as a result - longer breaks and more staff would help this.

10. The spa - we called a few times but it was always engaged. My wife love spas and would have spent a lot of time in there had we been able to speak to them.

11. The charter was 2 hours late on the way out - compounded by the computer system being slow and Tital only using one rep to check an entire plane in. The whole "private jet terminal" vibe is OK, although it's like a newly-renovated Hilton near Westminster. The security were unnecessarily rough with my wife in the frisk - this upset her. A first in travelling by plane anywhere in the world. - This is not related to The Dionoysos but I mention it as it's the way most reach the hotel.

In conclusion, improve the food. The location is stunning and you will have a nice time here - no question.

This type of set up was not for us but would suit many down-to-the-ground.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank coops9999
diomanagement, Manager at Dionysos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that in some aspects we did not live up to your expectations.

We wish you and your wife all the best with the upcoming birth of your child and hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

An incredibly relaxing holiday with the amazing views and infinity pool. Excellent farm visit and gentleman's boat trip. New beach club was v nice particularly in the evening for dinner although got a bit crowded some days. Usual fantastic food and service and Turkish wine is extremely good. Can feel a bit claustrophobic with a tendency to attract the queen bee type of London lady but that is a small niggle.

Room Tip: Do not book a room at the top of the canyon unless you are young and/or very fit.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back to the Dionysos again in the near future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel is in a spectacular location. The hotel is well run with friendly staff. The owner is high profile and approachable. Food is good, which is fortunate as the local restaurants in Turunc are generally poor. The pool is excellent, with plenty of sunloungers in the sun and shade. The beach club is also excellent.

There were a few niggles; firstly the price of spirits in the bar was outrageous; secondly the gym equipment needs upgrading - the bike does not work, the step machine hardly works and the weight machine needs replacing; thirdly the transfer bus to the beach club is too infrequent given that it is too far to walk in summer heat; and finally the tennis court needs resurfacing as the joint down both service boxes is breaking up resulting in 45 degree bounces.

Room Tip: The rooms highest up the hill are only for the fittest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Philip G

Thank you for your lovely review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food, pool and Beach Club.

The cost of spirits in Turkey are considerably higher (+60%) than in the UK and this is reflected in our bar prices.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the gym equipment and plans to resurface the tennis court are afoot.

We hope to see you again at the Dionysos.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kumlubuk
Loryma Resort
#15 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Eden Pyara Hotel
Eden Pyara Hotel
#2 of 17 in Turunc

Been to Dionysos Hotel? Share your experiences!