“Not one to complain but..............”

and 1 more site!
Atlantik Apart Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Altinkum
Bath, United Kingdom
“Not one to complain but..............”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Staff were very lazy. They were either on facebook, asleep or having a fag whilst playing around with music on the laptop near the pool. Boris on the other hand was v.funny, does anything you ask, speaks gd english but is very forgetful.
Room was a great size compared to other apartments. Newly decorated but not to everyones taste. Showerhead was not handsfree. A welcoming blood stain on the showcurtain was also great!! Large but narrow balcony, patio set took up room inside the apartment as wouldnt fit out on balcony. Aircon £7 a day so lived without. Safety deposit boxes were down stairs by reception guarded by the sleeping facebook receptionist. The lift was breaking down constantly, but excercise did me good!
Location close to dolphin square - 400yrds away from beach. Man in shop next door with scar across his face will smile at you everytime you walk past BUT BE WARNED HE WILL RIP U OFF IF YOU USE THE PHONE TO CALL THE UK!
Pool was good but had to clean out myself as all the bugs in Turkey decided to go for a swim one day. Julie (staff) did offer to help half way through, after she finished her fag and chat of course!
Yes it is a cheap get away and u truely do get what you pay for! But I have stayed in worse and everyone got along, but you do have to find a way to make it work for you, hence why we spent most days on the beach.
Overall I had a great time with my girlfriend and friends but a few tweeks here and there would give the apartments the 3 stars it was meant to be.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank ANewbury

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed at the Atlantik apartments with my family. I am their father and I'm recovering from cancer surgery, and so the holiday was booked as a stress relief. My family are nice people, and as for the previous review..well ....what a load of old Tosh !!! As for the reviews left by my daughters and grand-daughter, they are genuine reviews. My hotel ceiling leaked and collapsed and the lift was constantly breaking down , and after the 5th time of it breaking down I was finally moved to a lower level apartment, as I just couldn't manage the 4 flights of stairs to get to my room. The self-catering facilities are minimal, the fridges are full of ice and leak, the air-con leaks or just does not work and promises are made to fix it which it never happens.The hotplate in one apartment sparked alarmingly when plugged in so was unuseable. Food ordered at the hotel was barely edible, my daughter waited 3 hrs for her food which was cold and not at all appetising.Reception is NOT manned 24hrs as stated ,and the boys DO give out room keys to just about anyone if asked.
My daughters room and my grand-daughters room WERE burgled...we did not run out of money, nor did we make it up, the police and Thomas Cook believed us, and if you were there and saw the state my girls were in you would have seen they were genuine. My great-grand daughter was asleep in the room,she's barely 2 years old, how would you sleep if strange people were in your room late at night? She still won't sleep in her own bed and still cries out in the night, "Don't let the man come and get me Mummy". KEYS were used to open the doors while they slept, we knew how the doors locked and they were locked each night, we have been abroad before, to Crete, Greece,Mexico,Tunisia to name but a few, and have never ever had any trouble or bother in any of these countries and we certainly didn't expect it in Turkey.
The hotel staff were unco-operative once we had been burgled, they made no apology, even a token one, basically they couldn't give a damn. Boris was unhelpful in translating for us, and we found it very hard dealing with the Turkish police on our own.
The Thomas Cook rep was more helpful, she eventually got the money refunded for the air-con, not without a fight and very reluctantly from the Atlantik, and YES , she did tell us that the Atlantik has had 24 complaints this year and several last year, and the locals tell you what it is like too, although im sure another review will now refute everything I've said so...take your chance there!
I feel these reviews are most definately biased, we got along with everyone at the hotel. We caused no trouble and made no mess, either at the pool area, reception or rooms. We were polite, courteous and well-mannered. My daughters are lovely people and their mother and I have raised them so, and they in turn have raised their children to be nice people. Yes the family from Leeds caused a little mayhem, but, our two families got along well. The point my daughter was making in her review, was no matter how out of control people got, the only time Julie or Boris intervened was when they drank their own alcohol..which cost them money...if they had not been caught...well.....
As for my other grand-daughter contracting an eye infection from the pool, well we do have the bill from the doctor, and he told my daughter to keep her out of the pool, and yes, it was caused by the pool.My daughter also works in the medical profession, so I'm sure this will be refuted ...again!
We have photo's showing the bruises incurred by the washing-up liquid incident, the state of the pool, the gaps under the door, As for people being glad to see us go...well my daughters, grand-sons etc made lots of friends there and have added quite a few to facebook, and speak to a few of the guests who stayed there at the same time, which is not bad for a family who no-one liked and was glad to see the back of!
We have stayed in various countries and differing hotels, and never have we been treated this way. Turkey is an amazing country with differing scenery around every corner and we would go back...we just wouldn't go back to the Atlantik nor would we recommend it for anything .

3 Thank davidinson

Travelers are raving about these Altinkum hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This was our second time in Altinkum, but our first time at the Atlantik and we actually had a great holiday, and a great time at the hotel! The drink's were cheaper than many of the other bar's and service was fantastic. Yes the rooms were basic but what do you expect when you pay less than £800 for two weeks for both of us!
The managers Julie and Boris were very accommodating during our stay, and all of the staff friendly and helpful. Chef pulled out all the stops with the food on the entertainment night, and for a £10 evening it was great value for money with good entertainment thrown in. I would recommend that any future guests attend one of these evenings!
Even if spending your day's around the hotel pool is not what you are looking for, the hotel is in prime location to everything with a 5minute walk from bars/restaurants/beach and yes it can be noisy of an evening but not unbearable.
But Julie we still say you need Sky sports for football and an alarm clock for Boris!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Had never stayed here before but have been at this resort more times than I can remember. Last year my hotel pool was out of order and the staff invited all my fellow guests in to use the Atkantik pool. We were well impressed and decided that we would give it a try in the future.This summer, my usual tour operator Goldtrail went bust so we booked the Atlantik. What an excellent choice!
Location 400 metres from main square, Bars restaurants all along the hotels street. Nice to note that the hassle boys seemed to have disappeared but the friendly banter was always a good laugh. After all, these guys have only got 5-6 months to make a years pay from commission.
Weather was extremely hot but the prices throughot the resort were fairly cool Bottle Efes 3.5 - 5 lira about £1:50- £2:25 500ml. Altinkum resort food very reasonable as is the quality of the food. Don`t be frightened to eat what they eat and the locals generally eat cheaper
My intention was just to write a typical review however, I am extremely concerned about other reviewers comments. I was at the Atlantik when the Welsh party who were allegedly burgled were present. They have made their comments rather one-sided. They complained about the Leeds party who were a bit rowdy but never threatening. At least they paid for their bills without dispute. Granted the incident with washing up liquid at the pool was totally unacceptable and a few of us told them so. When there are large family/friends parties involved at one small hotel then things can get a bit overpowering.
I think things have been twisted and more than a few half-truths have been told by the previous reviewers. I am under the impression that there was no burglary and that they had ran out of money. I am not one bit convinced the burglary was genuine and I am not alone following discussions with other guests. Granted, the external room doors were a bit `slack` and it took us a few go`s to lock the door properly. This is done by pushing in the door knob switch from inside. I have 2 comments regarding their rep 1- If there were 24 other complaints I would never have told these people about them as I would be too embarrassed and 2 - Why have the tour operators continued to take reservations for the Atlantik. They can not be that bad. I work in the medical field and find it difficullt to believe that any doctor would claim that an infection was caught at the swimming pool without the water being tested. Viruses are generally spread from person to person and in my experience you are highly unlikely to trace the source of viral infections. I and other guests I have spoken to were glad to see the back of these people.......Enough Already. Back to my review
I found the prices at the Atlantik very reasonable. The food was first class and you must try the barbecue night, the meat was tasty and plentiful. The staff were extremely pleasant and many thanks to Julie and Boris for the welcome and for looking after us. They did go the extra mile and I take my hat off to them.
To sum up, we are talking Turkey. You do not get the same refinement that you would get in more established holiday spots. Rooms were clean, lots hot water, 2 ring cooker, fridge, kettle, toaster, air con (extra). Maid every 3 days but if you want more just ask and you shall receive.
Only downfall .NO SKY TV for football. Come on Julie, Lets ave it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Me, my boyfriend and our two friends(aged 22-25) went to Altinkum for two weeks of sun, sea and a bit of sight seeing. Our friends have been to Turkey numerous times before but me and my boyfriend were clueless!
We got a cheap deal by booking flights and hotel separately but this meant we had no rep but we didn't have any problems so this didn't matter.
On arrival me and my partner were pleasently surprised by the hotel's exterior, it was clean, looked nice, reception was well looked after, however, we were quite disappointed when we discovered our room. It was big enough for the two of us but it was the facilities that were lacking considering it was self catering accommodation. There was a plug in two ring hob and a kettle and toastie maker and a fridge with no freezer compartment and that was it. A plastic table and chair set which was too big to fit on the balcony.
The bathroom was the biggest disappointment. No bath, no plug for the sink, shower rail and curtain hanging off the wall and no shower tray. Also the water pressure was poor and tempetratures were tempermental.
The staff were fantastic. Very friendly, spoke good english and were willing to make food and serve drinks from the poolside bar any time of day. The pool was a good size relative to the hotel and was clean although there were no shallow areas.
The linen service was meant to be every three days but in reality was every four and it was a bit hit and miss whether you got sheets that fitted the bed!!!
The location was perfect...minutes from the beach but far enough away from the noisy clubs and pubs.
I would recomment this hotel to people looking to spend minimal time in the hotel and do it on a budget which is what we were after. I don't think the hotel is particularly suitable for families or people wanting to relax around the pool all holiday.
Overall, we all felt we got what we paid for and we didn't feel that there was a need to complain about anything. I think three stars is a generous rating- you will have a more realistic expectation if it was rated two stars.
We had a fantastic holiday and although the acommodation was not a contributing factor it also didnt ruin any part of it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2010

we went to this hotel as a big family holiday as my father was just getting over a lung cancer operation. on first arriving we thought it was quite nice (ha can looks be deceiving) on the first day we saw the pool cleaned but that was it, excuse was people were init even though it was closed at 7'o clock. my daughter contracted a virual infection an needed to go to the clinic. we were being over charged for the drinks at the bar until we stopped drinking there then suddenly they dropped the prices.the air con didnt stop leaking and didnt get fixed even though i complained every day. bathroom was terrible, dodggy toilet an shower,ceiling leaking an about to colapse.the lifts was constantly broke and as i said earlier my dad was just recovering from cancer an had been put on forth floor so after 5th time of lift being broke we had to get his room changed which took 2 days.food was ok but sevice was unbelivable took 3hrs for our party to be served, but worse was still to come, our rooms was broken into while we were sleeping my neice had all her money stolen but to get to the money they had to pass her and her little girl. the only good thing was that she wasnt the next madaline macan as she kept saying dont let the man get me mummy. so she must have saw something. my other sister also had her room broken into and all her money and jewerlly was stolen, when we called the police it was the same police that was in the bar every other nite(an we were told that they were there to collect protection money) and when we were explaing to them they laughed in my face,when asked if they spoke english they replied you speak turkish
and then shooded me out of the room.the hotel staff were ment to interpret for us but didnt tell us anything well except that the police said they should have cctv. the manager who is english didnt even have the decentcy to apolagise. when a thomas cook rep came to interveiw us and get us moved. we were asked by the staff why we were leaving and that they'ed look after us lol coz they'ed done such a great job so far. we belive the brake-in was an inside job as keys were used to get in our rooms as the doors were all locked.and other guests told us they heard keys being rattled outside their doors in the early hrs and also one of the resturant owners close by said boris's(the bar manager) brother is nuts and goes into rooms at night and was seeing julie the manager(how conveinent)anyway once we packed and was ready to move the rep who had sorted everything and the air-con refund went, they refused to pay us the money saying boris was out an he had the safe keys, so we said we would wait till he got back, after about 15 min boris came out of the staff room looking like he just woke up and said he had jus come from the bank and had paid all the money in for the hotel rent so we would have to come back the next day,and as we were waiting other turkish big men started arriving an just stayed standing at the reception desk glaring at us.they were phoned in for intimadation purposes am sure. after phoning the rep again she then said she would get the money for us and bring in to us the next day, which actually took 3 days and even then we only had 4 days money back. after leaving our rep told us that 3 other couples had also asked to be moved from this hotel
i would like to finish this by saying i cannot belive that a huge company like thomas cook could even think about using and putting families into this hotel.i have never ever felt so scared and intimidated in a hotel before, my thanks to the hotel we were moved too - letoon hotel for making us so welcome after such a terrible ordeal and the owner ike actually apolagised to us for his fellow country men and on behalf of the atlantik which was the only apolagy we actually got so thank-you ike for making the last few days the best out of the 16 we were their, you and your staff were great.

3 Thank kat32169
cardiff south wales
Reviewed September 7, 2010

we booked this trip as a family trip, but was so disappointed. the hotel is shabby...i read a review where it says it was decorated...believe me its scruffy...kitchen is basic..no microwave, dodgy hot plate and a broken toaster,,,fridge was full of ice and was constantly leaking...air con was expensive and doesnt work,when you report it all you get told is..it'll be fixed tomorrow..which it never is! pool gets murky and dirty very quickly and stays that way for days till they eventually decide to clean it, it cost my sister £400 to get treatment for my niece for a nasty eye infection she got from the pool. Boris the bar manager and julie the co owner are horrible people.all they want is your money and everything is ridiculously over priced.i ordered food at half 7 and was given it at half 10...and it was not worth the wait...i feed my dog better than the slop they fed us. they never have any change so always "owe " you..but never actually pay you . reception is supposed to be 24 hr but IF it is manned the boy is always on facebook or playing games or chatting with his friends. they give the spare keys out to anyone who asks, whether its your room or not. Boris the bar manager attacked a family group from Leeds with an empty glass bottle for drinking their own vodka at the pool..the fact that they had "phlegmed" in the pool over the balcony, threw glass bottles into the hotel courtyard next door, put washing up liquid on the steps leading into the pool causing my niece to fall and bruise her leg from groin to knee, left dirty baby nappies around the pool meant nothing...but when they dared to drink their own alcohol all hell broke loose and the hotel rapidly filled up with turkish men all looking for a fight.My sisters room and my nieces room were broken into while they slept, and took cash and jewellery, and while there was a baby sleeping. How safe was that?? my niece and my sister couldnt stop crying...they took my sisters wedding ring and she's only been married since December, and with all the media attention on Madeleine McCann being taken from her hotel room, my niece was physically shaking, all she could think of was what if it had been Chloe??? They didnt force the door nor was it left open...THEY USED THE HOTEL KEYS....it was an inside job...even the police thought so and there is no security at this hotel....all the locals know this place and say it has a bad reputation..Boris's brother is a nut case and apparently is known to wander the halls and let himself into guests room while they sleep, this was not a one-off occurence, the Thomas Cook rep told us it has already received 24 complaints about this hotel this year and several last year for the same things, Julie is English but couldnt be bothered to even apologise for what had happened in her hotel, she just sat at the bar and couldnt give a damn.We are a nice family..we went for day trips, had a few drinks at the pool bar..mainly coffee...we are not the stereotypical "Brits Abroad", causing mayhem whenever we leave the UK, we just planned a nice family holiday for my dad who had had cancer surgery earlier this year and wanted some "quality time" with him. We put up with the bad rooms and poor service, we just wanted a nice holiday and tried to just make the best of it, but after we were robbed we asked Thomas Cook to move us to another hotel..after all....Would you sleep soundly knowing your babies are sleeping in their cots and theres a man in your room going through your possessions????? NO???? neither could we!!! We were told we would be refunded a weeks air-con money....Julie..the OWNER..told us we had to see Boris..the barman??? but he was out...he was actually asleep in the office...then he said he had to see Julie...then he came back and said he'd just banked the money..but he hadnt been anywhere he was asleep !!! We eventually got our money back 3 days later ..they paid us 3 days at the lowest exchange rate they could get away with ! When we left to go to a new hotel, the hotel was again full of turkish men, we felt very threatened and intimidated and we hadnt done anything wrong, we were robbed but they made us feel like we were the criminals.All in all it was awful , please dont go there and please dont take your children there, its not safe and its not for families, if you want a cheap place as a base for clubbing..then it'll do if you're not fussy...but if you like your personal possessions...money ...children....stay elsewhere. xxxx

3 Thank morgannah