“Amazing burgers!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing burgers!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We did the Mangawhai Cliff Top walk over Easter and built us a great hunger on the way. Having seen Waipu Cove we weren't expecting Mangawhai to have much more to it but were pleasantly surprised to see quite a few shops and cafes.

Using our trusty Tripadvisor app we found the Sandbar. It didn't look like too much from outside but has plenty of outdoor seating which is nice. Once you're inside you immediately get the feeling that the food is going to be good as they have various cakes, salads, quiche and sandwiches already prepared that look great.

We had the wagu beef burgers and they were two of the biggest burgers that you'll ever see. It might be the only burger I've ever had to eat with my knife and fork and given the size of my mouth it was surprising! Along with the beetroot relish it was superb. We actually saw someone order a double burger which was almost as big as the 12 burger that one of my workmates ordered from Wendy's the other day (if Wendy's wasn't bad enough!). We also washed it Sawmill Pilsner which was probably the best beer I've had since moving to New Zealand two years ago and that's quite an accolade in a country famed for brewing.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with this place. Pay it a visit it you're in Mangawhai.

• Visited April 2014

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Service and value”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Absolutely the best place to go for breakfast/brunch. Young staff on duty were brilliant and had the best Caesars salad I've eaten in New Zealand (took me back to the 80's and living in LA). The French Toast also superb and value for money to boot!

Visited January 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Eating Nice Spot”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

In a small town (well two small towns actually) is an abundance of good eating. Tucked down a sidestreet at "The Heads Village" sits Sandbar. This is a bar/Restaurant which provides service and quality dining on a par with anything we have eaten in New Zealand and for that matter overseas. The menu is short but perfectly balanced, wine list features local wines and the whole experience is enhanced by excellent service. I was proud to take overseas visitors there this week to dine.

• Visited January 2014
New Zealand
“Very prompt service, great cakes”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I came here for a morning coffee with my brother and was impressed with the speed of service and the food on display. We ended up ordering a cake each because they looked so appetising! The caramel oaty slice was gooey and delicious and my hot chocolate came with marshmallows despite being delivered in a takeaway cup, which seems to be their strategy for quick processing of customers during busy times. My brother reported that his flat white coffee was only average but his chocolate brownie was very good. Prices were reasonable.

• Visited January 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Brilliant Meal!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Four of us had dinner at the Sand bar New Year's Eve, the food was excellent. The entrees and mains were all great, we would all go back and recommend Sand Bar to anyone wanting fine dinning in Mangawhai or near it's well worth the trip. We sadly had no room for deserts but they did look amazing.

• Visited December 2013