“Awesome!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've been meaning for a long time (several years) to write a review for these guys so am finally getting around to it!
My husband and I stumbled upon this place a few years ago when I booked us in at the Milestone Cottages for a week to celebrate our wedding anniversary (I remembered the cottages from several family holidays as a child and loved them so wanted to go back one day with him).
The food here is amazing...perfectly cooked and the flavours are brought out to perfection! I remember the first time we ate here we both couldn't believe that in the little town of Mangawhai Heads there was a restaurant that served such high quality meals! We ended up spending most of our 'dining out' time here - the food is fantastic no matter when you come so breakfast, lunch or dinner be prepared for something special! When we were heading up to the Bay of Islands in January this year we couldn't help but divert off to Mangawhai Heads both on the way up and on the way back down to Auckland simply so we could stop off for a meal at the Sandbar! Everytime we head over to NZ to visit my family it's turning into a 'must visit' place! www.sandbarmangawhai.co.nz

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went here for a late breakfast and it was fantastic! Great food and service. Absolutely delicious!!!!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The menu is a bit limited but it is a small town, we are just glad it's there. The wait staff are always friendly (and hard worked) - maybe the front of house guy is a bit smarmy. The food is modern and well presented. The wine - well it is all NZ and mainly local but again a limited selection. It would be better if they were BYO or just had a wider selection.

Easily the best place to eat in the Heads.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I love this place! Always has friendly staff, great music, fabulous food. So good sitting outside in the sun on their comfy couches. Top quality food well presented. Definitely a place in Mangawhai I try to visit regularly.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Delicious breakfast and everyone enjoyed their meals and coffee. Good service. We will go back next time.