“Never ever again”

Sail Rock Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The waitress (owner) of this restaurant was extremely rude and unfriendly from the beginning. We asked for steak to be well done, and she refused to do this, so we had to change the meal selection, we have never come across this before in NZ or overseas. The food was below average and therefore over priced. Worst by far was the service by the owner. We recommend to try a different restaurant when staying in Mangawhai, there are plenty of others with good service.
We will never return to this restaurant.

2  Thank L B

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife brother and I decided to go out for diner one night, unfortunately we chose Sail Rock. Cafe. We ordered our meal and started with Garlic bread, all I can say about that is I am glad there are no such things as vampires as there sure as hell was no garlic to scare them away.
For the main we ordered 1 small pizza, 1 seafood chowder and 1 medium pizza with anchovies on it, well I must have gotten the previous reviewers wife's pizza as it only had two anchovies on the whole bloody thing.

Anyway I could write a novel on this cafe, but there are enough horror books out there already. But if you are looking for somewhere to eat in Mangawhai go through to the back cafe bar food is much better. to end it cost $80 for that food listed above plus two stubbies and a spirit. what a rip off.

3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

6 of us had dinner at Sail Rock and regretted it. I never write reviews but I feel the need to vent my experience. The young waitress was pleasant but the two older ladies were cold and rude. Like some disgruntled old trunk-stop waitresses who don't want to be there and despises there clientele. At billing time, the lady who I though to be the owner was trying to figured out my bill due to some confusion. I tried to help buy explaining my order and was promptly told 'hold your horses' as she held her finger in my face. Squid was the worst squid I can remember ever having. Pizzas were nice but my request for anchovies only on one side was not meet so my wife had to trade slices with our friends (no point complaining or sending it back). Meals took almost an hour and there were only 3 tables ahead of us. Prices were too high for the standard of food and service we experienced. As titled. Everywhere is better than here.

6  Thank SalamiAk
Reviewed February 18, 2013

There wasnt much opened in Mangawahai when we went out to eat .. around 18.00pm. We had read good reviews about this place and when we spotted it we went in to have a meal. It looked as if time had stood still. There was one guy lying on a couch at the entrance and a few people sitting on stools. After 10 minutes of sitting at a table i had to go to counter to ask for menu. A young lady, nice and friendly said .. sorry the kitchen is closed !! AT 18.00 !!! We could not believe this .. but after 15 minutes we were happy that the kitchen was not open. We went across the road to a fish and chip shop which seemed to be doing a very busy trade and ordered a fish and chip meal and it was delicious. While we were eating this place was just taking customer after customer .. a far better option I think than the Sail Rock Cafe

3  Thank Nollaigglas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a really poor experience - the squid was limp and tasteless (and very expensive for what it was) and my husbands dish was described as having "asian greens" which was one stringy piece of brocolli....
If you have to eat around here - grab a meal from the Indian takeaway - they do a mean fish masala!

4  Thank Hardbitt