“Deer Park - not Dear”

Deer Park Inn
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Deer Park - not Dear”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Six of us visited this restaurant during a caravanning holiday in Dartmouth. The place was not very busy, and the members of staff were happy to move seating around to accommodate us in the conservatory. We were all well satisfied with what we had ordered, and felt that the prices were very reasonable for the quality and quantity. Everything was well prepared and arrived 'piping hot'. The house wines at £10 a bottle were, we felt, were good vlalue. We would all be happy to go there again.

• Visited September 2013

Dartmouth, England
“A disappointment overall”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I live close to this Inn (and have done for over 45 years). I have visited the venue 4 times in the last 18 months and I have to say that I was disappointed on each occasion. It is rare for me to report negatively however this time I felt I had to. My adult daughter and myself decided to treat my wife to a meal out on her 71st birthday. For a change we thought we would visit Deer Park Inn to sample their carvery. On turning into the venue there was a big banner saying that the Sunday carvery was open all day. On entering we were met by glum faces and there was no welcoming smile or `hello`s`. Nothing changed all the time we were there. We ordered drinks which were served and we asked for three carveries. We were then told, very bluntly and without emotion -` Carvery is finished`. We were surprised at this announcement given the banner outside enticing people in. My wife popped her head around to where the carvery was situated and she told me that all the food associated with a carvery was still there and could have been served. We chose not to make further enquiries but instead settled for Ham, Eggs and Chips (my daughter`s alternative). The chef did not skimp - there was ample on each plate (and indeed just a little too much). That said the chips seemed almost wooden and tasteless. A big disappointment! Not exactly the meal we had planned. So far as the staff up to the moment we left were concerned, no smiles - no exchanges except for a curt `is everything alright` and then a quick exit. All this said, the decor was excellent and lighting very good and it was very clean and well organised BUT IT TOTALLY LACKED ATMOSPHERE. There was plenty of parking and (because of the time of year) seating outside on the grass but there were a lot of children charging around. I dont think we will visit again. I would rather stand in a fish and chip shop queue.

• Visited August 2013