“One of the best”

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went here on Saturday evening and had a very nice meal. The mussels starters were really nice and we had fish pie followed by sticky toffee pudding and creme brulee. This is a lovely venue because the restaurant is situated on the beach. I would say that it is not a good idea to go here just for a meal during the day because parking fees are extortionate. The food was really nice. My only criticism is that the waitresses were very quick, perhaps too quick such that we felt they were rushing us. We asked for a break after the main meal before desserts but one waitress came within 2 minutes and a second waitress in 5 minutes. The other bugbearer was the dessert. I asked for sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream. However, there was not much cream to counteract the sweetness of the dessert. You know what us girls are like, we like lashings of cream on our desserts.

There are newer reviews for Venus Cafe

Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We had Thurday supper at Venus Cafe luckily we managed to get a table for two as it was very busy and we had not booked. Very popular with families, couples and small groups of all ages. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

The food is very good. I had beer battered pollack with chips and proper delicious mushy peas and my husband had the homemade fish pie which he devoured! They offer wine from an English vineyard which is very nice and a good selection of other wines and beers etc.

Friendly staff make you very welcome.

Advise you book ahead for lunch or supper as this is a very popular venue.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A beach cafe with a difference. Locally sourced products cooked & presented well by a young and friendly team with a great attitude. Lobster,crab,steak, home made burgers,fantastic sticky toffee pudding. All reasonably priced. Could be excellent if the menu was a bit more creative.

Set in a contemporary beach cafe with views of the beach & beautiful South Hams coast.
The weather was not kind on our visit but watching the surf crash in on the beach was fun whilst we enjoyed our dinner. A great place to visit what ever the weather !

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We live close the this Venus Cafe, we go to all but this the only one with indoor seating so on a rainy Sunday afternoon we often rock up for some food, warmth & a read of the paper's provided. We are both veggie & they offer a really nice 'different' veggie burger with fries & salad. It isn't spotless but this is a beach cafe & often has loads of kids there which it has plenty of room for. The view is amazing, they light the 'stove' when its cold & you can hang out for as long as you want reading the papers, drinking coffee & bucking up the courage to go for a walk on the beach to make you feel less unhealthy whilst praying it will stop raining!! ;)

Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

My Partner and I both ordered the burgers made with Devon organic beef. The menu claimed it would be the best burger we would ever eat. Thats a big claim (that was unjustified) We placed our order at the the till but were rather dismayed when lots of customers who had ordered after us were served their meal before us (even though they had ordered the same thing!) this was rather annoying as we waited 40mins for 2 burgers to arrive.

I ordered the Capri burger which has onions and a slice of goats cheese. It cost just under £9 and included fries and a few lettuce leaves. It was very small but with the fries it was adequate for lunch. My Partner did not feel the same way (it really was small) and he laughed when it arrived. I think the portion is ok for kids, but small for price. He had half the amount of fries that I had so we swapped plates.

The table was dirty when we arrived. It took quite a while for someone to come and clean it. The floor was covered in food. I had cake stuck to my feet! It's a beach cafe, nothing fancy, but it really was very messy.

The toilets are the beach toilets. The queues are long and the facilities are basic.

As beach cafes go, it's better than the usual option of pasties and pies, but I was disappointed that I had paid a higher than usual price for a lunch snack that was really on the small side. It was very tasty though. I won't return again. I travel all over the world and I'm always amazed how UK cafes and restauarants get something so simple so wrong I'd had high hopes - what a pity.