“Fantastic Experiance”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aroa Beach
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Fantastic Experiance”
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We went to the Rarotongan Beach Resort and Spa to get married. We took a group of 40 guests and we stayed for 10 nights.
I cannot rate the resort highly enough. The staff were all very accommodating and friendly, our garden room were clean and modern and the resturant served fantasic and reasonably priced food.
Every guest had an amasing experiance and not one of them had a complaint about the service or facilities at the resort.
Our wedding was skillfully planned by the resort wedding planner and our day went smoothly and to plan.
I would definaly recommend the resort to anyone looking at staying in Rarotonga. We have done a lot of travelling and stayed in accommodation of varing standards and honestly cannot fault the Rarotongan Beach Resort and Spa.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank PJTravellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
NZ
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Wonderful Resort.
When I was there the weather was pretty bad- cloudy and windy, which meant that there was only one day that I could use to take advantage of the many facilities offered at the resort.
The staff were increadiably friendly, the pool fantastic- not small at all. Theres a real family/beach theme at the resort, the pool and the restaurant are sort of intertwined, which gives all of it a lovely atmosphere. The food was great, really tasty, although quite expensive.
The room was very nice, I loved the bathroom with the sliding mirrors that could be opened to give a view of the beach outside. It was all clean and the beds WERE comfortable.
The whole stay was amazing.
I visited the Pacific Resort to see a friend whilst there, and i was glad that I had picked the Rarotongan to stay at- the pool is much friendlier, the resturant had a much nicer atmosphere.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would go back given the chance at the drop of a hat.
I would recommend this resort to people who want to have a relaxing but fun holiday.

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank raroholic
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We stayed in a Garden Suite, which for 3 people was small, and the bathroom was really substandard. The Beachfront rooms were fantastic. The restaurants and other facilities were great.
Take a tip - pay the extra for Beachfront.

• Liked — Friendly
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank WorldTravellor_7
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We have been to the Rarotongan in June 2006 on our way to LA and it was
fantastic! Food was great, Service slow but friendly and the rooms
where much more tidy at the time.
Now back in 2007 again on our way to LA my wife and I stayed at the
Rarotongan for 4 days and we really did not expect what we got. Room was
not very modern more in strange colors that did not match with the
actual design of the room. The room cleaniness was not what we expected from
a 4 star resort and we had quite a few 6 legged visitors during night
times.
Where did the Australian Chief Cleaner go ?
After complaining to the front desk we where told that we just could
move out and find a other Hotel on the island. Just plain rude and not
very guest orientated as I find.
Food was worst than the slow and untrained but friendly staff.
The menu is very large and the chefs appear not beeing able to coupe
with the orders. Food quality is poor at the buffet as well as ala carte.
Where did the German Chef go ?
The Spa was as good as we had it in 2006 but the staff did not
really understand our needs and we missed some cobversation during the
treatment. The Activities Team is great especially the little coconut
tree climber. The frontdesk staff was unfriendly and rude as before
mentioned. All in all we will not come back to the Rarotongan since we did
not feel that we where welcome and valued customers. Where did all
the fun go ?

• Liked — Beach and Palm trees
  • Disliked — The food, the crawlers
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Goldsailors

Travelers are raving about these Aroa Beach hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Well we have just returned from our second stay at the Rarotongan Beach Resort - 11 nights of Bliss!!

If you are travelling as a couple the best rooms are the Beach Front Suites (they are not a suite with separate bedroom). They are just a large hotel room with huge King size bed and a bathroom that you can open back the shutters into the bedroom. You can also add a rollway for a child or extra adult. Nice fresh decor and my favorite rooms!! They are right on the Beach and request block 700 as this is on the quiet end of the resort and you walk out right on the wonderful white sand. The rooms are the most recently refurbished ones at the resort and I have added a couple of pictures. You can choose upstairs
or downstairs, downstairs you walk straight out onto the sand. We paid about NZD320 per night for 2 of us including breakfast so great prices to be right on the beach.

The facilities are great, snorkeling, kayaks, swimming pool and the most fabulous snorkeling right out in front of the rooms in the Lagoon.. I prefer the beach at the Rarotongan than Muri, Muri beach is busy and a longish beach. I think the snorkeling is way better at the Rarotongan. They have a bar, restaurant and very good facilities.

Remember this is a 4 Star Hotel in the Islands and you are there to relax, do not expect the world and you will be pleasantly surprised!!!!!

I have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and have worked as a Travel Agent so been to a lot of locations. I love this resort as it is relaxed, great location just remember it is 4 stars. The food is good, miles better than Fiji as it is mostly New Zealand produce!! The staff is friendly and very helpful.

Prices are similar to hotel prices in NZ, so you can have a burger from the restaurant (large) $19.00 or main meals approx $25.00 but they also have the option of a cafe with toasted sandwiches and ice creams too.

They have a great daily information flyer that they drop in your letter box each day so you can choose to join in or just do your own thing. Very good selection of movies that change everyday on your in room Tele.

Must also mention in Rarotonga you should not miss going to the Tamarind Restaurant on the other side of the Island. Fantastic lovely
restaurant in an old colonial house!! Quite romantic too. Go before it is dark to enjoy the sun going down, they have a website so you can search and have a look.

Will return ASAP

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank blissfultravel
canterbury
Reviewed July 2, 2007

after spending a week here staying in a very nice beachfront suite,we had mixed feelings towards our experience.The room was up to the mark,but the service and food standards were mediocre to terrible.with a large staff,I accept that standards will vary but at times individual stall were surly,deliberately ignoring you while supposedly writing or punching keyboards and generally putting you in your place and these middle management types also bullied the junior staff from my observations.The restaurant was a disgrace with the breakfast fruitsalad made once a month by the look of it,and although I have a full set of teeth the fillet steak was like eating leather,and we quickly joined the throng and ate out. The pool is small,fairly dirty and to be honest uninviting and in need of a total facelift .I am a typical kiwi ,not fussy and prepared to put up with a lot but even with a very nice room the overall experience meant I could not get out of there quick enough and won't be going back while under the present management.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank patuian
Melbourne
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed from the 19th to the 25th June 07.
Perfect time to go, not too hot. Temps ranging from 23oC at night to 27oC during the day, perfect!
On Arrival a little man with his guitar at the gate was great to enter Raro, made you really feel like your holiday had began. We got through customs really quickly then went to our hotel desk, accepted a florally lei that had wiltered in the heat and met our friend who was getting married the next day. Even at 4am he was there to greet us.
We stayed in a deluxe beachSIDE suite, at the RBR&S (Rarotongan beach resort & spa) in room 111, and it was wonderful. Dark enough so that my 8mth old and, when he needed it, my 3 1/2 yr old could sleep in the afternoon. I loved how every day when we got back to our suite there would be fresh towels and flowers laid out. They even remade the cot with a fresh towel and flower.

We ended up renting a car, with a young family it was ideal. We could explore the island at our leasure not the bus timetables. Which of course has a timetable but runs on island time, hehe.

My 3 1/2yr old loved the kids club, we'd no sooner picked him up half an hour before and all he wanted was to go back. Being the only Aussie there he loved it, even came out saying Kia Orana (Live well/ Welcome), Kaketai (see ya later) A couple of days we even had to pretend it was closed and kept him busy with us. The 7-9pm session was great we could start dinner, one of us would take him upstairs then we could finish ours in peace - island time,
It only rained 3 times over night out of the 7 nights we were there.
The hotel activities kepts us busy, my 3 1/2 yr old went to see the coconut show - he keeps talking about the pumpkins that fell out of the tree. I highly recommend using the kids club, I was reluctant at first but when your child wants to spend his whole holiday there you can't argue with a revue like that.

The tropical breakfasts were great, we always went away not needing much lunch. We found out that buying a loaf of bread, butter, milk and soft drinks from the supermarket our lunches were pretty much covered. Being Aussies we took our own vegemite, thank goodness because C.J lived on them. We'd decided to go all out on dinners instead. The mixed seafood grill from Andy's bar is fantastic, as was the rib eye steak cooked to perfection. My son loved the mocktails he had blue meanies, traffic lights and cheeky monkey's. I must mention the managers cocktail hour - great for free drinks and to get to know the staff better. A must see is the Island night umu and show. The whole family loved it. Even Ryan (8mths old) loved it.

We had a fantastic time and will definitely be back. Most probably when the kids are older, probably 7-10. It was expensive but well worth it.
I think the worst part of the whole trip was coming home to a freezing cold Melbourne evening - and cold rain, boohoo.

• Liked — It was close to the water, everything was at the resort you needed, staff were always there to help if neccessary.
  • Disliked — The price of the food at the bar was a bit over the top. The pool could have been solar heated.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Aro'a Beachside Inn
Aro'a Beachside Inn
#3 of 4 in Arorangi
Pacific Resort Rarotonga

Been to The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!