After a forgotten reservation on arrival (our honeymoon, so not a great start), and a room too close to the restaurant, things picked up. We asked for and received a transfer to the 700 block (better than the 600 block as mentioned on here by others), and had a pleasant and happy stay. The room was serviced daily, with only minor gripes being the fact cups and glasses were not cleaned, but the lady who did the cleaning was always friendly. We had to ask for the lock on the screen door to be fixed, which it was instantly. There was a safe, which we used, as we would always do if leaving money or prized possessions in a hotel room.
The front reception staff were mostly really friendly and sweet, but not quite as on top of the local sights or suggestions for things to do as perhaps they should have been. The restaurants actually cooked good food, but were let down by service. The breakfast was basic yes, but certainly more than adequate, but to be fair we always got there early-ish whilst it was well stocked and being replenished. And to those who gripe about the little odd flies - come on, it's a tropical island and this is an outdoor restaurant. They did their best to protect the fruit, and mostly flies got in if other guests weren't considerate enough to close the lids.
We might not stay here again, simply because we would like to try to see something else, but would still recommend it to someone who wanted somewhere pleasant to stay with no kids about. We didn't use the services over at the Rarotongan, although we could have, but that just isn't our sort of holiday. Instead we hired a car, took ourselves on our own trips, and had a fabulous time on this beautiful island full of friendly people. We didn't use the pool or the pool bar - didn't see the point when there was amazing snorkelling and swimming every day right outside our room in the clear beautiful lagoon waters.
Yes, it's not like big city service. But if you go with an open mind, a friendly disposition, and treat others they way you want to be treated, then you will get along just fine at this very nice resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true taste of the exotic Cook Islands in the heart of the South Pacific, Sanctuary Rarotonga is an adults-only resort located on the pristine white sand shores of Aroa Lagoon. All suites are absolute beachfront. Tropical buffet breakfast, many resort activities, and daily activities program are included in the nightly rate. The perfect location for a romantic honeymoon or a relaxed beach holiday. Three effortless Weddings in Paradise packages. A true South Pacific paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Rarotonga-On The Beach Hotel Aroa Beach
- Sanctuary Rarotonga-On The Beach Aroa Beach