I read the reviews on TA for a couple of months before arriving, and I am pleased I took them with a grain of salt. We had a very enjoyable stay at The Sanctuary! We learnt pretty quickly to stay away from the Rarotongan side of the island (kids, dated, less than friendly staff, poorly executed activities program, bingo - avoid, pearl info session - she didnt turn up and staff didnt know what was going on!). We built up some great relationships with the staff - special mention to Gold, Peaches, Iva, Ruth and Leilani who made our stay a true pleasure, nothing was ever a hassle, always a friendly smile and interest in what we were doing. We stayed for 2 weeks and survived a tropical depression (2 days rain) and Cyclone Garry on our last day, but we did stay in the low season which is Cyclone season. We ate in the Blue Water Grill 4 times, the food was great and well presented. I admit the tropical breakfast got repetitive, especially with blueberry muffins for 9 days straight - I didnt have to eat them! We stayed on the bottom floor in room 703 - rooms 701 - 705 are the best rooms to stay in. The hotel can offer car hire, tours and directions, and will make bookings on your behalf. The Cook Islands is an expensive place to visit (the bus transfers from airport is NZD$55pp return for a 15min ride...), fuel is $2.64 L and a can of Coke in the Supermarket is $2.20, but hey your on holiday and you make do. From our numerous clockwise circuits around the Island and checking out the accommodation on the Island, I would put the Sanctuary in the Top 5 of places to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true taste of the exotic Cook Islands in the heart of the South Pacific, Sanctuary Rarotonga is an adults-only resort located on the pristine white sand shores of Aroa Lagoon. All suites are absolute beachfront. Tropical buffet breakfast, many resort activities, and daily activities program are included in the nightly rate. The perfect location for a romantic honeymoon or a relaxed beach holiday. Three effortless Weddings in Paradise packages. A true South Pacific paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Rarotonga-On The Beach Hotel Aroa Beach
- Sanctuary Rarotonga-On The Beach Aroa Beach