“Good experience”

The Dive Centre - The Big Fish
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Dive Centre, conveniently located on the stunning marine reserve of Aroa beach. We offer guided dives for all levels, from wrecks to passages, drop off’s, night dives and more. Our friendly multilingual staff can cater for total beginners to the highly experienced in the crystal clear warm water of the south pacific. The Dive Centre Provides daily introduction lagoon and boat dives, with light refreshments served after every treasured water experience, also available are dive packages that will include accommodation if needed, complimentary pick up/ drop off from your resort, and a variety of courses from open water to dive master and specialties.
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I (22, Sydney) chose this dive centre as it was in walking distance from our resort. We are not experienced divers, both have our open water PADI certification however it has been 12 and 9 months respectively since our last dive. When we booked our dive for the next day, and expressed our concerns on remembering equipment setup/ a few nerves we were not reassured as much as I would have liked, and it felt like we were being deterred a bit, so spent the rest of the afternoon worrying. Come the dive we managed our own set up fine, and did 2 boat dives with a group of 3 others. Because the Cook Islands is volcanic, the dives are a lot about the coral structures, not about an abundance of sea life. In between dives we returned to the harbour. Afterwards we filled out our log books and had a snack to chat, which is great because that's what the dive communities all about!

• Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Open water PADI - friendly, uncompromising quality - highly recommended”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had some qualms about the quality of a 'resort course' for my daughter's PADI certification, but ran out of time before leaving NZ to get her qualified. Actually training at the Dive Centre in Rarotonga was our best move - the quality was excellent (my other daughter and I both trained in NZ), the dives were beautiful (setting a high standard for anywhere else!), and we had an individual instructor of our own, as it worked out. Although time was short and weather adverse, they worked with us to make sure it was completed before we flew out. Their price is slightly higher than some other PADI courses, but well worth it I reckon.

Oh, and it was lots of fun!

Whitehorse, Canada
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Right at Home with The Dive Centre!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Sabine and Sascha run a very professional and well maintained dive operation on the SW side of Rarotonga across from one of the best snorkel lagoon areas on the island. With a skilled multinational dive staff, The Dive Centre provides a safe and enjoyable environment to explore the underwater wonders of the Cooks.

While on a two week stay on Raro we dove with The Dive Centre and after Day 2 were made to feel like family. Although the Cooks is limited to hard corals and isn't the most spectacular dive location in the world, Sascha and the divemasters made every dive interesting and very memorable.

If feeling safe and comfortable on your dive trips is what you seek - we strong recommend contacting Sabine at The Dive Centre and booking your sessions, lessons or dive trips with The Big Fish!

1 Thank Yukon Landcruis... R
Colorado
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Really great time diving with The Dive Centre”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Sabine runs a great organization at The Dive Centre, which is one reason why I chose this dive operator. We were traveling and diving as a family - me, my wife and our 13 year old son. The two of them have about 12 dives under their belts (I have several hundred). We met with Sabine on Monday afternoon, had a chat about the dive conditions, fitted ourselves into their really good quality rental gear, and even took the gear out for a practice lagoon dive in the very shallow lagoon in front of their dive shop.

Our two days of 2-tank diving were great. Sascha was a great boat captain, and knew his equipment and the dive areas very well. We dove with two different Instructors, who were great. The diving was quite simple, and there was plenty to see.

The importance of dive safety really can't be underplayed here. I was very comfortable diving with them, and knowing that my family was in their very capable hands.

If you're considering diving in Rarotonga, your first call should be to Sabine at The Dive Centre.

Visited November 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“PADI open water”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Great dive centre, staff are welcoming and really helpful. Undertook my PADI open water with Ben, and successfully passed :) snorkle/fin hire was cheap with the best snorkling lagoon right opposite the shop.
Thanks guys for opening up a new environment to explore.