“An absolute gem.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vaimaanga
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“An absolute gem.”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

This was our third stay at Palm grove - that in itself sums up how we feel about the place.
We were made to feel absolutely welcome by the "Mayor" of Rarotonga Nga, his wife Joanne and staff members Paula, Papa and Mata. On our previous trip Betsy, the owner, went the extra yards for us to solve a problem we had - not related to anything in Rarotonga. This great service continued. The happy hour was absolutely great (what I remembered of it) and my discussion with Grant, the co owner, was nothing short of amazing ........ I believe. Thank you all for making our time so very relaxing an enjoyable and we will see you all again. Arohanui, Steve and Chris Rolleston NZ

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kutu1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My Wife and I have been traveling to Rarotonga since the late 90's. We have always stayed at the Palm Grove and we have always had a wonderful experience, even while enduring 2 Cyclones!!! Friday night Happy Hour and Sunday BBQ are fun times at the Palm Grove. The beach and the snorkeling are the best on the Island and the Beach Front Bungalows are the perfect setting for a relaxing, romantic, wonderful time. We are heading back to Rarotonga in February of 2011 for our 8th time and will be staying in "our" Beach Front Bungalow. We wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Gold Country
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Hello All! My husband and I, as well as other family members, have been to the Cook Islands many times. The South Pacific is our favorite destination. Each time we are lucky enough to return to the Cook Islands, we stay at the Palm Grove. I agree with most of the posts here. There isn't much, if anything, I can add to the positive opinions. As far as the negatives, well, those are things that I either don't notice, don't care about, or consider part of the rare privilege of the Cook Islands experience. We've never had a bad stay at the Palm Grove. During our last stay in April 2010, we decided to look around for a more upscale place to stay when we return with some of our family. Most of those resorts/villas front on the Muri Lagoon. Maybe we were just there on an exceptional day, but the tide was out and the water was barely ankle-deep, was green and mucky, and was not very inviting. I can't see that there would ever be much snorkeling there. The beach was narrow and crowded (crowded for the Cook Islands). The other resorts and villas had some nice features like private pools and elegant furnishings, but none of them could offer us the total vacation experience we get at the Palm Grove.

If you want 24 hour room service, satin sheets, and 5 star dining, then maybe you should visit over-hyped, over-crowded, and over-priced Tahiti. The Palm Grove just can't be beat for a casual, barefoot holiday. The rooms are more than adequate, the beach is one of the best we've enjoyed in extensive travels around the South Pacific, the snorkeling is terrific, the restaurant is very good, the bus stops right in front of the resort, the grounds are well manicured (especially behind the 1 bedroom superiors...awesome!), wonderful Vaima Restaurant is just down the road a little past Wigmore's store, and it's just a great all-around experience. We like the fact that Palm Grove is about half way around the island from Avarua, so we can catch the bus going in either direction to get back to town. Having a little, well-stocked kitchen in the room is terrific so we can take some meals on our patio or deck.

We have stayed in the beachfront studios, the 3 bedroom house, and the 1 bedroom superior. Each has its good points and not so good points, and we do not have a favorite. Our choice depends on how many people we can get to come along with us. Other than the furniture being a tiny bit uncomfortable in the house, we have never had a problem with anything like plumbing, cleanliness, broken items, or lack of services. And we can drink the water! It doesn't get better than that!!

Staff members are always eager to help with other restaurant reservations, calling taxis, making tour reservations, confirming flights, anything. We had to check in late one night for a connecting flight, and they were kind enough to open up reception after hours and allowed us to use the computer. When my daughter celebrated her birthday there, the kitchen staff prepared for her a fabulous birthday cake decorated with flowers and lavender ribbons, Awesome! And I think they said it had no calories. ha ha

We truly hated to leave after our last stay. Soon after we returned home, we made reservations to celebrate our 33rd anniversary in December at our beloved Palm Grove. There is absolutely no other place we'd rather be. For us, the Palm Grove is like a comfortable pair of old slippers. Those feel so much better than a new pair of $1600 Jimmy Choo's. We will return as many times as we can. I'm sure the Palm Grove is not to everyone's liking. Just like with restaurants, vehicles, and movies....to each his own preference. But there's a lot to be said about a comfortable pair of slippers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Festercrabbit
bc
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The basics: somewhat basic but well-maintained and clean, well run, filtered drinking water from the taps, location handy to a nearby food store. I was generally happy with Palm Grove, while by North American standards fairly basic accommodation it was well run, well maintained and clean. The location is pretty good if you like to wade or swim but the snorkelling on the adjacent beach was not very good – but I found the snorkelling on Rarotonga generally poor. On the downside for Palm Grove the quality of the beds was not particularly good (I feel they are well due for replacement). Unfortunately there was a destination wedding that led to some quite loud and “partying” guests throughout our stay. The night of the wedding the noise level was very high back in our cabin since the resort is small and the wedding events are held in a central area close to most of the cabins. That said at 10 pm on the dot the music was shut off and the noise level dropped significantly. As a final note I was travelling with a friend and while the two twin beds room configuration is common in the Cook Islands (and was what we had at Palm Grove) I do wish some accommodation with two double (and more comfortable) beds was available at Palm Grove.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
PalmGrove, Owner at Palm Grove, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Kia Orana zsuzu,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Palm Grove. For the benefit of you as well as other TripAdvisor readers, I wanted to respond to some of your comments. Palm Grove is a mid-range 3 1/2 star property and we pride ourselves on offering good value for money. We are not top of the line, but we do consider ourselves to be more than "basic" accommodation. We offer a range of room categories at different prices, and you stayed in our lead-in (least expensive) Garden Studio category which retails for approx. NZ$100pp per night for twin share.

I am very surprised to hear that you did not enjoy the snorkeling at Palm Grove. The Vaimaanga area and our beach are generally very popular snorkeling destinations on Rarotonga, offering some of the best snorkeling on the island. The lagoon in front of our beach is a marine reserve and has abundant fish life, and our guests usually find they need to go no further than our beach when they want to snorkel. I do see that you found Rarotonga's snorkeling to be "poor" in general but unfortunately I don't know which destinations you are comparing us to and so am unable to comment further.

We host a number of weddings throughout the year, and usually it's just the bride and groom. But we very occasionally have a larger wedding on site and we try to make sure we meet as many of the wedding party's requirements (as they are also house guests) without otherwise inconveniencing our other guests - hence the 10pm cutoff for live music at receptions.

Our mattresses are on a rotation/replacement schedule where the mattresses are periodically flipped/turned and then replaced every few years. I haven't received any other complaints regarding our mattresses and have just spoken to the guests who are currently occupying the unit you stayed in, but they are very happy with the beds. As for the twin bedding, you are correct that we do not offer 2x queen beds in our studio units; instead we offer 1x king or 2x single. They studios would not accommodate 2x queen beds, but I will keep your comments in mind should we have the opportunity to offer 2x queen beds in the future. But we do have a 2-bedroom unit on site with queen beds in each bedroom - although the nightly rate is more expensive than the studio unit you booked.

I hope my comments have been helpful. Please get in touch with me directly if I can help you with anything further.

Thanks and regards,

NZ
Reviewed April 13, 2010

We purcashed a wedding package at Palm Grove,although the accomodation
was okay the personal touch was sadly missing.It was as though as soon as we had
paid our way, then who cared
Joanne turned up at out beach wedding looking like she had just got out of bed,which I have to say she did most days,not like I would expect a resort manager / wedding co-ordinater to present herself.
We arranged through happy hour night for the band to play for us during and after the
wedding which I dont think went down well at all,then after the ceremony when sparkling
wine was paid for in the deal we are told that they dont have any left and that we will have to make do with still wine.(Having stayed there for 8 days and a wedding package
as well I dont think it would have been to hard to find a bottle or two of bubbly)
Thats not all though folks,between us and a group of aussies we spent a lot of money at Palm Grove,paying to keep the band on later than what they were booked for and just having a good time.
On the day that we and the aussies were due to leave(and because we had scooters we had to return),that if we were not at the airport when our bags were taken there then
they would be simply left on the footpath,the van could not or would not follow us to Avis to drop off our bikes and take us to the airport even though we are only looking at a
couple of kilometers.
Ok,to sum up,
accomodation,10/10
location,10/10
meals 5/10
considering it is a small resort personal contact 0/10
fullfilling obligations to prepaid bookings 2/10
Final summary,would not recommend Palm Grove to anybody.

Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aglantis
PalmGrove, Owner at Palm Grove, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Kia Orana Aglantis,

Thank you for taking the time to review Palm Grove. I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with some aspects of your stay. Unfortunately I can't comment directly on some of your complaints as your date of stay was 18 months ago. As I'm sure you can understand, we have over 1600 guests stay with us each year and it's simply not possible to remember them all. I do wish you had contacted us sooner to let us know you were unhappy so that I could have addressed your concerns in a more timely manner. Ideally, making an accommodation aware of complaints during your stay is the best thing to do and usually ensures that issues are dealt with immediately.
But there are a few things that I can explain generally and hopefully they relate to your specific situation.
The band on Fridays plays from 5-8pm for our weekly Happy Hour. This event is complimentary for all guests and includes free drinks and nibbles until 6pm. Occasionally there are folks that don't want the band to stop playing at 8pm as they are really enjoying themselves. Usually I'll ask the band to keep playing and I will pay for it. But there have been a few times when guests have taken it upon themselves to extend the band, and I believe the band charges $75 for this - or sometimes nothing at all. Generally this sort of evening becomes a highlight of a guest's experience with us.
Our transfer van shuttles all arriving and departing passengers between Palm Grove and the airport. Sometimes guests make arrangements to return their rental scooter at the airport and ask that our transfer van carry their luggage, which we are happy to do. But the transfer van has a schedule to keep, dropping off departing passengers on the way to meeting our new arrivals, and I hope you understand that we can't inconvenience some guests to try to accommodate a special request for other guests. We do endeavour to respond to as many special requests as possible, and the added flexibility of being a small resort is what most of our guests really appreciate.
I hope this information has been helpful to you and other TripAdvisor readers. Please contact me directly if you'd like to discuss any of your concerns in more depth and I'd welcome the chance to see if there's anything I could do at this point to improve your opinion of Palm Grove.

Kind regards,

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed for 12 nights in one of the garden units that are situated around the pool. Our room had everything that we needed - kitchenette with small fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishes, utensils, etc., a table and 4 chairs, dresser and bedside tables, small closet with lockable security box and shelving space in the bathroom also. The room was bright and had several windows for ventilation. We were only a 1 minute walk across the road (which was never busy) to the beach and some fabulous snorkellling. We had a little patio outside our room with a table and chairs where we could read when it was raining (we had alot during our stay) or eat meals prepared in our room. There was a clothesline on each patio. Beach towels were provided in the room. The bathroom had a stand-up shower, hair dryer and fresh towels were provided each day if you wanted. Soap, shampoo and hair condiioner were in the room on our arrival, but were not replaced (we had our own and maybe that is why). There was a ceiling fan which kept our room comfortable and we did not need to use the air conditioning at all. There was always a nice breeze through the windows and sliding patio door.

From the time we landed in paradise and were picked up at the airport by Nga, to the time we left this island, the service and attitude of everyone we encountered made us want to stay forever. Paula, Mata, Mary and Norleen in the kitchen and dining room made our dining experiences pleasant. Kura at the reception desk was invaluable in helping us book day trips, decide on where to go for island night, helping us check our return flight home, and in answering many of our questions. The managers Joanne & Nga were on-site frequently and very approachable as was Betsy, the owner.

We found the tropical breakfast included with our package to be everything that we needed. There was a good variety of cereal (2 types of muesli and at least 2 other choices or more), beautiful selection of fresh fruit (bananas, coconut, papaya, mango, guava, custard apple, starfruit), bread for toast, jam, marmalade, peanut butter, butter, marmite, juices, tea and coffee. All of this in a pleasant open-air dining room where you can look at the beautiful landscaping of the resort and even see across the road to the beach. There were also several options for cooked breakfasts (at a reasonable additional charge) if you wished.

The dinner menu had a good variety, but unfortunately there were a few items missing during our stay. However, we always found something to eat and the fresh fish dishes were always delicious.

Wigmore's Supermarket is just a 5 minute walk to the right when you leave the parking area. They have some freshly prepared meals (curried chicken, chicken chop suey, etc.) and some great desserts (chocolate cake and coconut pineapple cake) if you want to eat in your room without cooking. The prices were reasonable and the food was very good.

Happy hour was a very generous gesture on the part of the resort and we enjoyed the entertainment by Rose & Tani, especially the island dance that Rose did for us. The Sunday night BBQ was delicious, but we would agree with other guests that it is a little overpriced ($30 NZ per person). The choice was steak (very good) or fish (broadbill the night we had it which was excellent) and lovely salads.

The property is kept very clean and the landscaping is very attractive. We found the whole island to be lush with plants, flowers and trees and the beautiful green peaks in the center of the island seemed so close that you could touch them.

We enjoyed the resort pets - Polly the dog and Palmy the calico cat, both of which were super friendly and gave us our "pet fix" while missing our own animals back home. There are several dogs in the area which have their own territory on the beach. They are all owned by someone and were all well cared for. They are all friendly and wander on and off the resort.

We used the buses to get around the island and found them very easy to use. We got the 10 trip pass ($25 NZ) and got everwhere that we needed to go. You can use the designated bus stops to get on or off, but you can also flag down a bus anywhere on the route or request to be dropped off at other than set stops.

We visited the Panangi Nui market on Saturday in town that we would highly recommend, did a 4 x 4 Safari Tour with Tangaroa Tours (with Mr. Useless, who was absolutely hilarious), went to church with Victoria who owns the Green House Cafe just down the road from the resort, a 5 minute walk to the left when you leave the front parking area), did the day trip to Aitutaki (expensive but worth it to see the most beautiful lagoon and the islands in it), did an island night at Highland Paradise and generally made our way around the island.

We snorkelled out front of the hotel which was excellent. We also found good snorkelling across the road from Fruits or Rarotonga (you can leave your belongings at the cafe while you snorkel). At both locations we saw large schools of beautiful parrot fish, sargent majors, wrasses, picasso triggerfish, moorish idols, puffer fish, assorted other fish that we don't know the names of, an octopus, an eel and the most beautiful sapphire blue starfish. We snorkelled out to one of the islands at Muri Beach but here wasn't much to see underwater. When we snorkelled in the lagoon on the island of Aitutaki, we saw giant clams.

We tried a variety of restaurants and cafes on the island and found everything to be fresh, delicious, nicely presented and portions were generous. We did not find the prices to be expensive considering the quality (and in comparison with our prices back home in Canada). Some of the places we tried and would recommend are Garden House Cafe (just a 10 minute walk to the left of the hotel), Maire Nui Gardens (try their delicious chocolate cake), Vaima Restaurant (just down from Wigmore's Supermarket and about a 10 minute walk from the hotel) where we sat right on the beach, Tamarind House near town (beautiful setting, classy restaurant and delicious food especially their chocolate pudding cake), Kikau Hut (our favourite restaurant on the island with delicious food and unique desserts and super friendly owners Kevin & Cathy), Cafe Salsa in the town of Avarua, The Cafe at the art gallery for the best cappucino we have ever tasted and good desserts too, Sails Restaurant on Muri Beach and ,as mentioned, Yellow Hibiscus at Palm Grove. We also had some good food from the stalls at the market - chicken curry with rice, mongolian chicken, both of which were very generous portions for very little money. There is a little coffee stand on the road in front of the market that has the best coffee.

We had a hard time leaving Rarotonga and would definitely return if we found a great deal like the one that brought us here in the first place. It was worth the almost 15 hour flight from Canada. Palm Grove resort is in a perfect location, approximately half way around the island from town and on a great beach. Everything that we needed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LeeMike
Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2010

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed at Palm Grove for 4 nights and I do not think it deserves the high ratings it seems to get on Trip Advisor from other travellers. We did not stay in a beach front villa as there were three of us and maybe my impressions would be different if we had been on the beach. We had a two bedroom unit in the garden. The unit was very spacious, which we appreciated, but the furnishings were very ordinary and the whole place was looking very much in need of a refurbishment. The lounges provided were so broken that it was not possible to sit comfortably on them. The ambiance of the resort is somewhat spoilt by the fact that the main road runs right through the middle of it and the units on the non-beach side of the road do not have water views. The breakfast which was included was also below expectations. There was a very limited choice of cereals - usually Coco Pops or Muesli, the juice was very watery and there was a very poor selection of fruit. I did not feel that we got value for money at Palm Grove and would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010
PalmGrove, owner at Palm Grove, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Kia Orana jgowdie,

Thanks for your review of Palm Grove.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't agree with our other guests that have commented on Palm Grove on tripadvisor. But we are always happy when someone posts a review as it helps provide additional information to other readers and potential guests, and it gives me the opportunity to respond.

Our 2 Bedroom unit is one of our most popular units as it provides great value for money: a large living area, a private yard and BBQ, and sleeps 4 people for about $315/night. It is a garden unit and you are correct that none of our garden units have a water view. But that fact is reflected in our pricing.

The daily breakfast buffet that you've mentioned is complimentary. I must apologize - you are correct that the cereal selection during your stay wasn't as good as normal; the main supermarket had run out of many of the individual breakfast cereals we normally provide and we were stuck waiting for the next shipment to arrive. Most of the dry foodstuffs are delivered to the island by ship and it's a fact of life here that we sometimes have to wait longer than we'd like for stores to replenish their stock. But we've had an excellent selection of fruit recently, including passionfruit, mango, pawpaw, custard apple, starfruit, guava, watermelon, and coconut.

I've just been over to the 2 Bedroom unit to inspect the lounges because we have had no previous reports of them being broken, and I can't find any problem with them. We replaced the dining table and chairs, bookcases, and side chairs last year, but did not replace the two lounges at that time, planning to replace them this year. In fact I have already purchased new lounges for the unit and they are due to arrive around 1 May. The livingroom curtains are also being replaced at that time.

We believe Palm Grove to be very well-priced for what we have to offer and we normally get a lot of praise on our value for money. I am sorry that you didn't find that to be the case, and I would urge tripadvisor readers to compare our prices to other midrange accommodation on Rarotonga and decide for themselves.

Thanks again for taking the time to post feedback on Palm Grove. Please contact me directly at beach@palmgrove.co.ck if I can help you with anything further.

Kind regards,

Betsy Eisler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaimaanga
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel & Villas
Te Manava Luxury Villas & Spa
Pacific Resort Rarotonga
The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Palm Grove? Share your experiences!