My wife and i, retired but still consider ourselves active, have just returned from a delightful two and a half weeks stay at Palm Grove, marking our third stay with these gracious, friendly folk. From Betsy and Joanne in the office, Nga (Mr. Fixit), Mata in the restaurant and ALL the staff, it would be impossible to be hosted by more obliging people, whose one goal is your enjoyment. The location is the most perfect imaginable on this beautiful island, as it straddles the beach and small road circling Rarotonga. For those in the beachfront bungalows, you can touch the sand from your private sundeck; kayaks and snorkelling gear are provided at no cost, and lounge chairs are available for sunning or reading under the shelter of the palm trees. The lagoon is idyllic with many beautiful fish around the coral heads, and poor swimmers like myself need have no worries about getting out of their depth. There is a small swimming pool - perfect for the kids, too.
The Yellow Hibiscus Restaurant on site is great for lunch or dinner, and of course, breakfast is free to guests. More up-market, and just along the road is Vaimea Restaurant, one of the best on the Island; while for those, like us who also enjoy preparing some meals ourselves, Wigmores` locally owned and well-stocked supermarket is less than 200 yards away. Palm Grove accommodations all have kitchenettes. Not be missed is Friday happy hour `on the house`, or the Sunday b.b.q. both with live music. There is a Takeaway adjoining Wigmores for fish and chips, cooked chicken etc.
Getting around is easy: use the local buses every thirty minutes either clockwise or the other way round, rent bikes, scooter or car. We love to walk the backroad where many of the locals live and tend their taro plots and other produce. Walking the beach is pure heaven in either direction - hardly a soul in sight, no crowds around! The main village and capital, Avarua is minutes away, near the airport and harbour, shops and other attractions.
I am going to stop now because we do not wish to make Palm Grove so popular that bookings are harder to come by. If seeking more adventure than pure relaxation, Rarotonga offers plenty such as big game fishing, glass bottom tours, scuba diving, cultural events etc. But one word of warning: if crowing roosters prevent you sleeping, either reserve a Palm Grove beachfront bungalow or bring earplugs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the enchanting area of Vaimaanga on the stunning southern coast, Palm Grove enjoys the tranquility of one of the best locations on Rarotonga. 26 individual bungalows are scattered over 5 acres of landscaped beachfront and garden property. Bungalows are available in studio to 3-bedroom layout and feature kingsize beds, kitchen facilities, aircon, flatscreen TV, and private patio/balcony. Property amenities include our onsite restaurant and bar, swimming pool, guest BBQ, laundry facility, tour desk, and motorbike rentals. All guests receive complimentary daily tropical breakfast buffet and use of kayaks, snorkel equipment, beach chairs and beach towels. Welcome to Palm Grove, your private piece of paradise! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Palm Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palm Grove Hotel Vaimaanga
- Palm Grove Rarotonga, Cook Islands