“Good restaurant”

The Yellow Hibiscus
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Vaimaanga
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Open-air restaurant open 7 days a week for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Casual dining at affordable prices. Reservations recommended for dinner. Ask about Friday Happy Hour and Sunday BBQ dinner.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had breakfast there daily, a nice spread of cereals, breads, fruit, juices, yogurt, and coffee for all to enjoy. The prices for lunch and dinner were not too bad, either.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Really nice food and not too expensive. The staff were friendly and attentive. It was no problem to alter some of the meals for allergies.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food was good but we had to choose a number of times until we could have something they had not run out of on the menu. Perhaps make sure you go earlier in the evening to avoid missing out on the good stuff. Great location for those staying on the Vaimaanga stretch of beach though as it is an easy walk. When we were there they had a nightly special too which was delicious.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I am currently into day 4 of my 8 night stay in Rarotonga. So far all the meals I have eaten at (vaima, salsa, silver sands) have been excellent. I was looking forward to going to the yellow hibiscus as the meals sounded lovely on the menu & the setup of the restaurant was nice & intimate with lovely soft music & fairy lights all around. The service however was a complete flop. There was only approx 10 people dining in & it took the waitress about 30 min to take our order. For entree we ordered. A garlic bread & mussels. It took 45 min for our entree to come out. The garlic bread was nice however the mussels were horrendous. My husband had 1 and refused to eat anymore. For mains we both ordered the rib eye steak with garlic sauce. I noticed you could order prawns on the menu so I asked if it was possible to order 3 prawns on top of my steak however after 20 min of ordering they told me they would have to charge me $18.50 extra for 3 prawns as you can buy an entree of garlic prawns on a bed of rice. I politely declined. It was apparently a really big hassle for them to do so without charging through the roof. Our mains came out after another 45 min & to our surprise the so called ribeye was a piece of sirloin cut in half. We ordered medium & on both our plates one half came medium & the other half well done. Clearly they had cooked one of the steaks to much & split it up between us. All in all the service was terrible, the food was terrible & we will not return. For anyone who is going to go there the entree's are overpriced (the ones we went with werent but most of the others were around $20) however the mains are reasonably priced. Definitely try Vaima. It's been our favorite so far. The staff & food are fabulous there.

Garlic bread- $5
Mussels- $10.50
Rib eye- $27.50

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Awesome food and service. We were in Rarotonga for 2 weeks and this was one of our favorite places to eat.

Staff are really friendly they had a live singer who was really good.

A young chief cooked our meals and he did a great job

We definitely recommend this place for dining.