“Excellent food, location and staff”
Review of Boatshed Cafe

Boatshed Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Rawene
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Wellington
“Excellent food, location and staff”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Got chatting with the owner - nice guy, lots of local knowledge. Tomato tart was excellent and there was even a dolphin cruising around in front of the restaurant.

Visited April 2012

auckland
“Temptation ...”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We called in here for what was supposed to be a coffee only , as we'd not long had a big breakfast, but couldn't resist the delicious selection on display. So it was a slice of macadamia and boysenberry cake for me, a savoury foccacia stick for him, coffees and the some locally produced jam to take with us! The food was fresh and delicious and the service was friendly, We sat outside on the deck, marvelled at the quiet, and looked ( without success unfortunately ) for the dolphin which had been seen the previous in the waters below .
We ended up having to take the next ferry, as we just couldn't budge our rather full tummies from this lovely spot!

• Visited April 2012
Edmonton, AB
“Get there early or the flounder is sold out!”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Small location eating right over the water. Had pumpkin pizza and salad and my partner had the flounder - delicious! Noticed all the locals coming in for dessert so had the best blueberry muffin in the world! Partner had the chocolate fudge cake and did not share any - I guess it was good too! Take the Hokianaga Ferry and stop here to eat.

• Visited February 2012
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“I decided this was the best cafe in the world”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

The sun was shining the tide was in and we sat on the deck overlooking the sparkling sea. The cafe has the most lovely feel it is a shabby chic shack over the water with lovely local crafts and fab house and garden magazines. My husband had fish of the day with salad and he said it was delightful. I had the soup and I know when I love a dish because I try to copy it when I get home - fresh coriander and seasoned to perfection. Good large bowl and four slices of ciabatta. I had a glass of Marsden pinot gris and it was so wonderful we searched out the vinyard the next day. As mains were so good we always the order a pudding(it is rare we do this) the summer cake was so moist and abundant with red fruits.

• Visited January 2012
Nelson, New Zealand
“Customer service not on the menu”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The Boatshed in Rawene is undoubtedly beautifully located and the small portions of food we were served were very tasty. However If you're looking for a good value for money meal, served with a smile, this is not the place for you. My friend and I ordered the avocado salad priced at $15 expecting a decent sized lunch which wouldn't leave us hungry. What arrived, was one sliced avocado, a few pine nuts and some garnish. On raising the matter with the staff we were brushed off in a surly manner by the waitress and then received a visit to our table from the owner. He proceeded to lecture us on the high costs of running a cafe, justified his overcharging, informed us that he didn't care whether we ever came back again and became increasingly hostile and outright rude. He finished his diatribe by refusing to serve us the additional food we had ordered after the avocado salad failed to satisfy. I never been so insulted by a proprietor in any hotel or restaurant.

If you are in the area I suggest you take the ferry across to Kohukohu, and visit the fabulous Koke cafe where for the same price, you can purchase a delicious filing gourmet meal served with grace and humour.

P.S The Boatshed is the only place in the world where we have been charged for a glass of tap water!

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank jo s
ccjRawene, Owner at Boatshed Cafe, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
As the owner of Boatshed Cafe I would like to say that the meal is incorrectly described by jo s who requested more at no charge. This was refused and my explaination of cafe costing didn't help . However we are all sorry that jo s did not have an enjoyable time at Boatshed Cafe .The water charge is clearly described as a donation to local voluntary organisations.
cheers Craig