“Not a good value, High Prices, Dining disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge Lakeview

Auberge Lakeview
Ranked #3 of 3 Knowlton B&B and Inns
Portland, Maine
“Not a good value, High Prices, Dining disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Inn for nights. We immediately had to upgrade the room upon arrival as the room we had reserved was so small. I know its old but the rooms are small. The inn had a lot of nice pieces from the Victorian era and it was quaint. The upgrade set us back $150 for two nights. The biggest disappointment comes with the dining packages. The Friday night roast beef buffet is confusing and guests are left to fend for themselves holding food covers while another person (wife) serves food. The waiter did not explain anything to the guests and did not invite us to the buffet. Just an awkward situation. The waiter, is also the bar tender, and the maitre d, and probably the cook. Very under staffed and my wife finally got her glass of wine after the meal when he remembered she had ordered it. The dining experience in the main dining room the nest night was a complete overpriced disappointment. My wife was told that she could only purchase a bottle of wine and not a glass of wine as we did the night before. The meal was tasty but a rip off. We had the duck and you better eat some bread or you'll be hungry. KFC is a better option for poultry. You just feel like your being taken advantage of in the dining room. I though that the clerk (s) were very friendly and helpful, however when I mentioned to the check out clerk how disappointed I was with the previous evening experience, he said well "life is full of ups and downs." Not a very appropriate response for a place that charges $3 for a can of coke. Overall the place is in a nice location and it's a nice inn. The front desk staff and weekend waitress was very nice. I would not go back to this inn if we visit the Lake Brome area again. Not good value.

Room Tip: Do not expect the rooms to be "roomy." Reserve a suite on the balcony if your looking for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

In April 2012 my husband and I held a celebration birthday party for 40 plus guests (family and friends) at the Auberge Lakeview Inn. It was a huge success!
The food was delicious (we had a buffet with the best roast beef ever and a vegetable lasagne for non-meat eaters plus all the extras, plus a desert buffet.) The staff was superb. Ten of the guests stayed over at the Inn and the rooms were nice as well. (Some rooms were quite small but we found them all to be clean and charming and comfortable.)
Dealing with Larry Smith, the General Manager of the Inn, was truly a pleasure. He made the planning easy and helped with every detail. (I would highly recommend dealing directly with Mr. Smith - very experienced and very helpful.) After the party was over, Mr. Smith entertained the guests that were staying over with stories of the Inn's history.) Fun!
I was a little hesitant because of some bad reviews on this site but all went so very, very well for us that we would recommend the Auberge Lakeview Inn without hesitation.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite small, but we found even the small ones to be clean and charming and comfortabl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyPair627
, General Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I was our pleasure to have guests such as yourselves,our staff enjoyed serving you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Had a good romantic week end with my wife, the staff is amazing! The food was good! The town is beautiful everything is nearby. We had the chance to rest and relax. Wish anyone that goes there has the same experience.

• Stayed December 2011
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We just returned from a 2 day trip with a stay in Knowlton at the Lakeview Inn. Upon arrival the hotel looks impressive but there is no "Lake" to be viewed from the hotel. The hotel is an old wooden hotel that was restored and the lobby are is very nice. The rooms however were tiny with a sink on one wall next to the bathroom. There is barely enough room to move around the bed.... The hotel is close to the center of the beautiful town of knowlton and people around town are very friedly.The outside of the hotel is not very interesting there is a small pool area and a few chairs but very plain and uninviting.

We had the gourmet package at $154 per person including the room, 5 course dinner and breakfast. The dinner and service were good, but many items on the menu required we pay extra. The wine list is nothing less than extorsion. We settled for a Chianti for $50 which is probably 30% more than the normal restaurant price. We ended up paying an extra $80 for dinner. The breakfast was ordinary and not what we would have expected from an "Inn"

I would not recommend the gourmet package which I feel is overpriced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gcimon
rcmp123, Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I am sorry this guest found our rooms small. We were built in 1874 and the Inn is still considered a Victorian style Inn. We offer larger rooms on request .

Travelers are raving about these Knowlton hotels

montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

My wife and 3 year old daughter stayed at the Lakeview for one night on September 2 2007. It has been an annual tradition to attend the brome fair, and for the first time this year we decided we would spend the night nearby. After extensive research we booked our stay at the Lakeview.

*The location is good, walking distance to the village of Knowlton and the lake.

*The room was very clean, however very small and not much of a
view.

*The breakfast buffet was excellent.

*We had dinner at Le Relais, it is a restaurant in the village, excellent food at reasonable prices.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Historical Lakeview Inn. As soon as you enter you feel as though you have gone back in time.
Great place to spend a night or two !!

Christos
Montreal

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank 86985
québec
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

I have stayed at many inns in the Eastern Townships, some more expensive and others less, but none as disappointing as the Lakeview. It has such high reviews when you read about it so I was expecting so much more. We went there in March for my husband's birthday and paid the high price for a gourmet package. When I made the reservation I had specified it was a special occasion. The supper was excellent, and as expected. The room was so small and anything but romantic. We were almost the only ones there on that night, maybe they could have given us a nicer room? There was cold air being pumped through a vent on the floor. We put a pillow over it so that we could get dressed without freezing. The bed was uncomfortable. There was no hot water to be found, and when I mentioned that at checkout, the clerk just said that she wondered why no one had warned me. The breakfast the next morning was obviously reheated buffet from the day before. It tasted awful. It has been more than 6 months since we wasted our money on this romantic birthday surprise. I even wrote several letters complaining about the service and was promised an answer from the owner that never arrived. Sometimes I wonder if the reason that we had such poor service and accomodations was because we were off season, but if that was the case, wouldn't the right thing to do be to close during off-season? I imagine that in summer amenities are better. Right now, I just feel cheated and angry. Hopefully no one will have to experience what I had to. Maybe if I had gotten some kind of explanation or apology I might have gotten over feeling this way and would not have felt it was necessary to write this review.

• Liked — the supper was excellent
  • Disliked — the room, the atmosphere, the amenities, the breakfast, the lack of follow-up service
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Anne_Marci
rcmp123, Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Many changes were made since 2006 , including breakfast menu and even management
We assure you a much better stay and an excellent value for your money.
Thank you for your comments .
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2006

Date: August 21, 2006
Reviewer: A frequent user of TripAdvisor and a frequent traveler
The Review:
My partner and I stayed at the Lakeview Inn because it was the highest rated accommodation close to a Birthday party we were invited to in the Eastern Townships of southern Quebec.
We had very little time to check in and catch a quick nap before we had to leave for the Party. We paid Cdn $ 223 for the room (with breakfast) and had reasonably high expectations. The room was the smallest accommodation I have ever stayed in and the bathroom sink was competing for space in the sleep area. The real problem however was the bed. It was clearly beyond its useful life because the springs on one side had given up the ghost and you had to cling to one side to avoid backache/rollout. I'm serious when I say that I've slept on better pull out sofas with bars in my back. Luckily, we were able to advise the Manager on Duty at 5 PM who said she'd have the Owner inspect and fix it for us before we returned at 11 PM.
When we arrived back at 11 PM, the place was very quiet (as one would expect in rural Quebec) and we proceeded to our room. A block of wood had been placed under one leg of the bed to prevent falling out. With 3 sleeping pills and decongestants in my system, I slept no more than 15 minutes in that bed that night. In the morning I asked for an explanation and was told that no one had complained before and that the Owner was content that the extra block of wood was sufficient. No apology was offered (even though I asked for one); no assistance was offered to help with our luggage even though I told them my back was very sore from the experience.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There was a total failure in service and not a scintilla of assistance.

4 Thank LeLapinFou
rcmp123, Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
After this review from august 2006, action was taken. We have changed the beds that needed to be changed. There is very little we can do about the size of our victorian rooms. We would have to change to whole structure of the Inn.
We do have larger rooms in the Inn upon request.
Also we have made a change in staff which will reflect on the service given to customers.

Thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knowlton
Hotel Suites Lac-Brome
#1 of 1 in Brome
La Venise Verte B&B
La Venise Verte B&B
#1 of 3 in Knowlton

Been to Auberge Lakeview? Share your experiences!