“Fab spot to chill outside of the City.”

The Coach and Horses
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kew
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Fab spot to chill outside of the City.”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights as a change from staying in town.
Arrived early and left the car and bags until check in. Nice large room but very warm.
Into town Friday evening as seeing M Python. Easy trip on tube.
Wandered along river to Richmond on Saturday and collected picnic from Whole Foods then sat by the riverside watching the world go by.
Breakfast both days and dinner Saturday excellent.
Bustling bar area with interesting people watching opportunities.
Left the car whilst went to Kew before going home Sunday.
Friendly enjoyable stay and we will definitely visit again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
oxfordshire
Reviewed June 26, 2014

we stayed as a family - for a wedding at kew (and a birthday as well).
from the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. Every member of staff was attentive, friendly and helpful, but Kirsty was a special gem.
when we arrived with lots of clothes to unload - early - she checked if any room was available, and when it didn't look likely she went upstairs , checked in person, and managed to perform a miracle. Later she helped with all sorts of minor issues around organising a wedding group with great charm.
The rooms are clean and do the job.
Its a real ale pub with food that matches, pub grub, but good pub grub.
breakfast was good, with juices, fruit and a menu of breakfast fare cooked to order - all included.
We were bowled over by the hospitality.
Not the poshest building I've ever stayed in - but more than adequate, characterful, very clean, good cosmetics and well double glazed against noise - but an ambience and staff to die for.
We had a wonderful wedding (and birthday) stay, and are really grateful to the coach and horses for adding to it. You all went the extra mile. Better than any 5 star hotel I've stayed in. Thank you.

Room Tip: stay there for kew or national archive. good parking facilities as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hampshire
Reviewed June 17, 2014

A Warm welcome and a friendly / comfortable atmosphere greeted us at the Coach and Horses in Kew. Nice room overlooking the Green (215) and a quirky layout to get there. Downloaded two complimentary drinks from the web site for pre dinner drinks and sat in the pub area with locals and tourists.

Good service behind the bar and in the restaurant which was unfortunately let down by the food, starters where o.k, squid for myself and soup for my partner. Main courses a hot dog £10 and fish and chips £12 which I had to send back as there was uncooked batter inside. To be fair I was offered another which I declined and opted for the Caesar salad. This was fine but had too much dressing.

The waitresses where very apologetic and offered us free desserts and coffee and didn't charge for my Caesar salad.

Breakfast on the other hand was excellent, especially my salmon and mushroom omelette, probably the best I've ever had (10 / 10)

Very kind of them to not only give free underground parking but also to let us keep the car their until we left the next day at 19.00 following a great day in Kew and a final drink plus pub snacks, scotch eggs and sausage rolls..

We will come back and stay in the future but probably opt for something else off of the menu.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the green
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel is perfect for researchers and garden lovers. It is close to the National Archives and Kew Gardens. Rooms have been refurbished and meals are good. Nothing to complain about at all. This is a great London pub.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just returned from one night at this hotel. We used it as we wanted to visit both Kew Gardens and an exhibition in central London. We paid a fair price for a decent evening meal, a night and a freshly cooked breakfast. The hotel had a good "feel" - the staff were welcoming and wanting to know that we were happy with everything. Not sure whether we met the manager, but we sensed it was all well managed. We will go there again if we want to be in that area or if we want access to the city centre - the tube is quite close by.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian H
Nottingham
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Whilst the majority of staff were exceptionally professional and welcoming , one member of staff lets this hotel down in terms of service . Very disappointingly the food was significantly substandard - especially as we had returned to this hotel due to the excellent experience we had here last year - I had the chicken burger which was far too spicy to eat ; so I left it. We had also ordered steak with garlic butter - the butter came in a frozen lump on top of it which was still frozen when the steak had gone ! When the waitress asked how our meal was as I hadn't eaten mine she literally said " yeah that's how he makes them " and waltzed away never to be seem again . We also heard her being rude to a colleague behind the bar when we first arrived and again at breakfast . At breakfast I ordered poached eggs ( very hungry by this point ) which were literally solid and cold . No one asked how our meal was this time and on checking out no one asked how our stay was so I thought I would offer my thoughts in this forum . I feel very surprised and very disappointed given our previous experience staying here so I can only assume there is a problem in the kitchen and with this one waitress . All other staff were very professional. I wouldn't feel confident to stay here again and I will now withdraw the recommendations for this hotel I have previously made to friends .

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Princessflowerpot
Toronto
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Relatively large and updated room and bathroom with bright windows and a skylight in the hallway which made for a very pleasant stay. The restaurant in the hotel was good value and quite good food as well. We had a drink in the bar before dinner and my brother asked for a particular scotch from the bar. There was just under a shot left in the bottle and a guy at the end of the bar (who turned out to be the manager) told the bartender to put it on his tab. Super little neighbourhood in the west end. Overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kew
Kew Gardens Hotel
Premier Inn London Kew Hotel
Bingham
Bingham
#5 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames

Been to The Coach and Horses? Share your experiences!