“Always good , getting better”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Reserve a Table
Tue, 10/15
8:00 PM
Ranked #10 of 12 Restaurants in Alvechurch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Red Lion - Birmingham offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have always enjoyed our visits here and it seems to improve on all aspects each time we visit.
Super friendly efficient staff , great choice of food well presented.
Thoroughly recommend the Red Lion

Date of visit: September 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Ruben1953,

We are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! I will pass these comments onto our team who will be happy to hear them.

We hope to see you again soon!

Regards
Kimberley

Write a reviewReviews (720)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Thank you all at the Red Lion.Food was plentiful and extremely tasty.All of our family were delighted with their meals,professionally served by happy staff.I have read less favourable reviews that nearly out us off coming ,they must have been false as everyone we saw today at the Inn were very happy and complimentary.is
Replace was spotless clean and have the air of a well managed establishment.

Hi Bristolian53,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Red Lion. We're happy we could meet your expectations! I will pass your comments on to the team, I know our cleaner will love to hear that the place was spotless!

We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Been coming here for years and have seen it decline from a once fabulous place to shockingly bad place at times. We keep coming back  because it is very local to us and a terrible lack of other options in this village or the nearby Barnt green - the area is monopolised by Mitchell's and butlers chains.

Our latest visit was a mixed bag. The starters were excellent we had a mezze sharing platter and dough sticks between the four of us which were both superb - great selection, really tasty,good portion size and reasonably priced). The mains however were a different story. I tried a four cheese pizza with additional pulled chicken (for an extra £1.50)- not particularly nice with overpowering blue cheese and the chicken was not pulled chicken but rather a tiny portion of sliced chicken similar to that which you can buy in the supermarket for sandwiches. My daughter had the fish and chips which looked nice but the fish was "watery" and not nice and flakey - whilst not inedible and could be overlooked if you were paying budget prices but  at over £13 it's not good enough. My wife had the lobster fish cakes which   were again very expensive for the amount of seafood contained within it (mostly potato). And finally my son had the burger which was fine but again ridiculously priced once added on cheese and bacon (which in my opinion should be included as standard when paying £12.50 for a burger). Overall other than the starters it was another disappointing visit. Service was good this time (it's not always) but the prices are simply way too high for what is typically average pub quality food.

Vintage inns continue to cut costs to maximise profits relying on (and responsible for) the lack of competition.

Hi Jp33333,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit.

I will pass your comments on about the food to our kitchen manager so that he can speak to the kitchen team. We appreciate all comments as it helps us as a business grow and develop.

I do hope you give us another try and if you wanted to speak further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0121 445 4162 and ask to speak to one of the management team.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 1, 2019 via mobile

Have visited this restaurant quite a few times over the Summer and have received great table service.The food is very tasty and hot.There are specials on the menu that seem to change on a weekly
basis.You get three hours free parking if using the pub.Highly recommend

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank MrsHHarn
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

HI MrsHHarn

Thank you for the kinds words and 4 star rating.

Great to hear you have visited a few times and enjoyed our food and service.

Hope to see you again soon

Liam

Reviewed September 1, 2019

I have just visited this pub to have sunday lunch

The yprkshire was greasy and thin
The roast potatoes greasy and tasteless
The beef cold and in small portions

My dog ate this rubbish and I am off home to cook somethimg to eat

I visit vintage inns reqularly my 3rd visit this week but never again here

If this my first visit to this chain it would be my last

1  Thank derek s
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Hi Derek

I'm really sorry to hear of this :(

Its clear our food was not up to scratch on this occasion and I can only apologize. I am glad to hear you use vintage inns regularly and hope you do give us another try. I know we can do a lot better than described in this feedback.

Kindest regards,