“Last night”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 9 Restaurants in Alvechurch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Red Lion - Birmingham offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I read the recent reviews before going with some trepidation to the Red Lion to meet some friends for a working dinner. I had never been before, and was immediately struck by how busy it was. The car park and restaurant were both full, slightly unusual on a Thursday night. My first thought was: surely this place can't be as bad as the reviews! There were eight of us. I found the service friendly and reasonably efficient: we had mains and deserts and waited about 15 minutes for our mains, which all came together. I had haddock fishcakes, which were quite good. Everyone said their food was enjoyable. Someone had the steak and kidney pudding, which looked very good and she said it was. Plates were cleared away efficiently. As for the staff having "attitude" I thought our waitress was efficient and unobtrusive. Puddings came about ten minutes after mains were cleared. My Trikkie Dikkie pudding was great. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised after the reviews I'd read. It wasn't exceptional or outstanding, but on my experience I'd go again. I thought prices were reasonable.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We hadn't visited here since earlier this year until we were desperate to go somewhere for lunch that was near where we lived. We had a nice lunch a few weeks ago and have since returned back two other times, once for a meal with my Mom and another time for drinks with friends and each time the staff have been attentive, the food has been good and generally the place seems to have returned to its previous form.
It's still overpriced - but you're paying for the setting and the location.
The last meal we had in particular was really good, and our waitress was excellent. There seemed to be several new faces behind the bar so I can only assume they've taken on a raft of new staff.

I hope our experiences weren't flukes, although it's sad to see the previous reviews suggest things are still not right.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I have commented on here some time ago about this pub. And my opinion unfortunately stays the same. I live in the village and have used the pub all my life. This is the worst it's ever been and show no signs of improvement. The tables are always dirty and full of glasses. You can never get served by the ignorant staff. We attended approx two weeks ago for a bottle of wine to be told the only ones available we the most expensive white wines. We went in after a day out on Wednesday and they had no real ale what so ever on. We went in today for a drink before dinner at home and they had no rose wine. And when we showed any sign of disappointment that once again they had no rose wine the so called manager took a swift exit from behind the bar and into the dining area. Clearly did not want to hear or address our comments.
The manager is as useful as a chocolate fire guard with the customer service of a small animal. Do not come to this pub. I certainly won't be until things drastically change.

3  Thank Kateps80
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having not been happy with the sweet I had last year in June 2012 and after complaining to Vintage inns I was given £20 off another meal which we took the offer up in October of the same year. Meal was fine and staff was helpful. I have now returned to have a meal with my daughter in September 2013.Who had had a bad meal the week before but thought it maybe a one off. She had the lamb shank shepards pie which was a lamb shank stuck inbetween a thin layer of dried up cheesy mash and peas. On this occasion I had Fish cakes which were ok with 6 segments of tomatoe and 3 disgusting new potatoes. What do Vintage think they are doing. You get one vegetable with your meal and the quality of the food is poor. I live in the Village and it is a lovely pub and gardens. In my opinion I think Vintage are trying to keep the costs down but then giving the customers poor quality. I am sure we would rather pay that little bit extra to get better quality.

1  Thank lindyl0u53
Reviewed September 7, 2013

OMG what has happened. We used to live in the village and last eat with friends in December 2011 and had a great evening with good food.

We returned this week and it was like returning to a entirely different pub. Staff with attitude, Manageress who simply has no customer service experience and food which was from a microwave oven at best.......

What a shame