“Scrumptious, imaginative food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I would go back to this area just to eat here again. They served such creative food and the service was amazing (we were one of two parties there that night so we could spend a lot of time practicing our French with the server). My husband ordered an entrée and plat, and I, a plat and dessert. His entrée was a tomato and whipped mozzarella concoction with gelatinized balsamic frisé and caviar. It was beautifully plated and tantalizingly tasty. For plat, he had the lamb and I, the vegetable lasagne. The lasagne came with succulent, steamed, mixed veggies under a blanket of homemade pasta with frothed green and red sauce. The combination of flavors danced on my tongue. His lamb was perfectly done (he asked for a pink center) and had tasty garnishes of phyllo-sliced potato triangles, stuffed hot pepper (little), and other curiosities—again, all amazingly tasty and fun. For dessert, we shared the caramelized wafers with layers of coffee-flavored mousse. I don't generally like coffee, but this was mouth-watering, plate-licking good. The meal was so delicious that I even asked for an espresso at the end and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did I mention, I don't drink/like coffee? To top it all off, we enjoyed a sunset that set the vineyards aglow in purples and oranges and walked back to our B&B through the vineyards after dark.

You should absolutely go out of your way to eat here. That said, we walked to it and it's in the middle of the vineyard so I haven't a clue how we would get there if we were driving there. But a beautiful walk through the vineyards only adds to the magical, whimsical ambiance of L'Atelier de Candale.

There are newer reviews for L'Atelier de Candale

Reviewed May 27, 2014

As it was only minutes away from our B&B , through the vineyard, we were not sure what to expect. However, the greeting on arrival was fine and preferential seating quickly arranged, as we were the only ones in so far, for a 1930h sitting. Splendid view out over the terrace to the vineyard and comfortable seating in very modern decorated room. The meals from the menu on the table were explained in fairly good English and drinks arranged promptly. My entree was small, but adequate and beautifully presented, as was our main course of lamb. Excellent cuts of meat and well presented , as opposed to some amateur butchering we have experienced elsewhere in France. One of the nicest lamb dishes we have had. My wife's dessert of chocolate dome with sauce, was tasty , looked good but small. Overall the meal prices were reasonable for the standard of cooking and presentation and only drinks put a dent in your wallet. The service was mostly "unobtrusive", mainly because no one would appear and even with ,by now six patrons , we were rarely disturbed, whether you liked it or not!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

This restaurant came with a good review from the Michelin website, so we may have had high expectations. The dining room was quite attractive and well-decorated. The view was very pleasant. However, by the end of the evening, there were only two other couples inside the restaurant and a group of 4 on the terrace, who probably were out there because they were smoking. The wait staff seemed very indifferent, served the courses rapidly, and then disappeared for long periods. The food was in general good and served in nice presentations, but of quite small portions. The lamb was over-cooked. I asked for it medium rare, but it was well-done. If you wish your meat anything close to rare or medium-rare, I suggest that you request "raw"! We did not order dessert, but the lady at the next table did, and it was extremely small.

This restaurant has a long way to go. I suggest larger portions, respecting the request of the patrons for the "doneness" of the food, the staff being more attentive, and, by the way, a smile from the staff would go a long way.

I do not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Sorry, but this dining experience didn't impress me. 4 of us had dinner, and luckily we allowed an hour to find the place, as 2 GPS's and several maps didn't help. We finally got a visual sighting based on the Tripadvisor picture. The service was amateurish, and although we liked the dog that kept running through the inside restaurant area, is this really appropriate? The food portions were minuscule, such that the 2 ladies in our group were asking for bread, which never showed up with the other food. We eventually got 2 small buns with dessert. No salads on the menu, except for dessert which was with cheese. After requesting the bill a couple of times, we went to the exit, the waitress was relaxing with a glass of red wine, and seemed surprised that we needed to settle our account and leave. This was the most expensive meal we've had in a month in France, and the most disappointing.

1  Thank Brett C
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were booked into L'Atelier de Candale as part of a tour, and expected an average-at-best lunch... What we received was one of the most exquisite degustation lunches that we can remember. This was followed by a tour of the vineyards by the wine-master Cyrille, and his excellent, knowledgeable and helpful team. Cyrille himself is one of the most accessible, personable and friendly hosts you could imagine - generous with his time and knowledge of the wine-making process. We were made to feel like old friends in a matter of hours. This place is, right now, one of the best kept secrets in Bordeaux... Get there before it is too late!

Nick and Kate