“Dinner by candlelight at a beautiful chateau in the middle of a vineyard!”

L'Atelier de Candale
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Dinner by candlelight at a beautiful chateau in the middle of a vineyard!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We walked from La Petite Madeleine to the next chateau across and down the road. Around to the back was a beautiful patio with tables and chairs scattered about. We were in for a real treat!

The chateau is just gorgeous! The food was delicious, and the ambience was amazing. The menu is not huge, but it is varied and there is something for everyone.

Our hosts at La Petite Madeleine had given us flashlights on our way out the door, with a wink and saying, "there aren't any streetlights out here." We definitely needed the light, but the walk home through the vineyards was one I won't forget. Just beautiful!

Visited October 2013

Hampshire, the old one.
“Very good”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was the first of two restaurants proposed and booked by Clos de la Barbanne (please see my review).

This is a really difficult review. The setting is great, the staff were really good, the estate wine was good (but, I am sorry to say, that we had better from the region – sorry), but the reason I have not given it five stars, is that the food, whilst very good, was not quite as good as I suspect the chef really wanted it to be and does not quite rate an "excellent".

The food looked stunning. Great care had been taken with presentation and that worked really well. Disappointingly and a little surprisingly, the taste did not quite match that high level of achievement.

I am being very critical here. The mix of ingredients was clever and a very good attempt had been made, but it did not quite come off. I am also comparing this restaurant with others that I have visited, to which I have given five stars. Candale, for all its strengths, did not quite reach that level. See my other review in the region for a restaurant that did!

• Visited July 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A visit worth your while outside of Saint Emilion”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

After we arrived at "Candale" we had Champagne Cocktails outside on their patio. The view from there is simply stunning because you are surrounded by vineyards and lush vines.
I couldn't resist having the Fois Gras Madelaine which was simply put superb. The "yellow eggs" with black truffles were magnificent as was the shrimp appetizer.
As for Entrees we chose Fish and very tender Lamb ravioli. A Choc.Mousse style dessert and a selection of fine cheeses with wilted spinach to finish our dinner.
They also have a fantastic wine list - during dinner we had a 2004 Chateau de Fonplegade Grand Cru Classe St.Emilion...perfect match, rich and succulent.
Surprisingly this is not a very expensive restaurant considering the superb quality of food and service (English was spoken). Avoid the hustle of the Saint Emilion Restaurants and instead enjoy a memorable dinner at L'Atelier Candale.
While having dinner we enjoyed watching the young Chef grilling outside over vine cuttings.

• Visited July 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
“Smaller Plates with Prices to Match”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The view was picture perfect, the staff more than attentive but the best part was we were able to enjoy smaller plates so we could try more items. There were four of us. The fois gras in the madelines were a bit pricey but well worth it. The ravioli with lamb was so tender. We had aperitifs on the patio and came in for dinner as the sun set. The Candale 2009 red was perfect.

• Visited June 2013
London
“A gem in the middle of vineyards”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Only 5 minutes drive from St Emilion, this is truly a picturesque and relaxing place to have a leisurely lunch on a terrace. Lunch menu at 17.50 euros is very good value, good quality products and well executed. There is also a choice of à la carte dishes, on top of my head 9 euros for a starter and 14 for a main course. Choice is quite limited which tends to be a sign of quality. We each had a glass of wine, menu du jour and a coffee and paid 44 euros. Portions are not very generous but I still think this is great value for money. The terrace is very peaceful with beautiful flower beds overlooking the vineyard. I had tried to book a table on a Saturday night and it was fully booked so I would advise that you book to avoid disappointment, especially when the weather is nice.

• Visited June 2013