“Great mussels”

The Laughing Monk Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Strete
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned restaurant, relaxed atmosphere, serving the best local produce available. We are not a fine dinning restaurant but serving great food is our passion
Ilkley
“Great mussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I often choose mussels to start when holidaying by the coast. The mussels we had on our first visit to this restaurant were, without doubt, the best we have had in a very long time. My wife had plaice to follow, from the 6-12-6 menu, whilst I decided on the turbot from the blackboard. Although nicely cooked, the turbot was not as fine flavoured as I would have expected. The plaice was however excellent, by far the better of the two. We enjoyed our meals so much that we visited the restaurant again on the last night of our seven day holiday. We could not resist having the mussels again and fortunately, they were just as good. To follow we both had beer battered brill, chips and pea puree. The main courses were very good. With a bottle of reasonably priced Sauvignon Blanc, our meals averaged £57 which I thought was reasonable for this part of the country.
Whilst on holiday we also visited The Seahorse in Dartmouth which is in the Good Food Guide. Whilst The Seahorse was also very good, we did not think it was any better than The Laughing Monk. I am a little surprised that this restaurant has not yet received greater recognition.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“1st Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Booked after reading the many favourable reviews and we were not disappointed. Met by warm and friendly staff who gave great unobtrusive service. Great choice of locally sourced food cooked to perfection. Would recommend the scallops and butternut puree - absolute heaven.
The surroundings are interesting ( an old school, next to the village church ) the inside reflecting the history.
Tiny carpark but plenty of spaces in the nearby church carpark a few yards up the road.
Thank-you for a very enjoyable evening.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Faultless meal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is our second visit, the last was around 18 months ago.
We booked early and took advantage of the 6-12-6 promotion.
I started with the poached Duck egg in puff pastry with Madeira sauce...superb.
My partner chose the duck pate. We had no complaints.
For mains I chose the Brill with home made chips, whilst my partner opted for the roast pork and veggies. Both dishes were a delight, the only criticism would be the pea purée, I prefer peas to be whole or mushy with fish as I prefer the texture.
We shared a sticky toffee pudding to round off the evening.
The waitresses we both polite and service was superb.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Top Class meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was our first visit to the Laughing Monk after hearing good reviews.

The food, venue, and staff did not disappoint well worth the drive to get there.

Teddington, United Kingdom
“A little gem in Strete.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I chose this restaurant for my mother in laws birthday and the fact that it had good reviews. So I had high expectations, which thankfully were met in droves. The quality of the food and service are second to none. I cannot rate this restaurant highly enough, the lady that answered the phone to take my booking even suggested the chef write Happy Birthday in chocolate as a surprise on the plate of my mum in laws pudding, which they didn't forget to do, when we arrived two weeks after I booked our table. Go to The Laughing Monk, you won't be disappointed.