“Staying locally, great early meal”

The Laughing Monk Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Strete
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Family owned restaurant, relaxed atmosphere, serving the best local produce available. We are not a fine dinning restaurant but serving great food is our passion
Reading, United Kingdom
“Staying locally, great early meal”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a three day break in the area, and after a day in the wind and plenty of walking, we visited for an early dinner.

I do always find it amusing in a near empty restaurant when asked if I have a booking, as even when we left there were only 20% of tables occupied. But I realise this is to welcome those who HAVE! A better response in this circumstance to "Table for two?" might be "Yes, of course. Do you have a booking?". This isn't a problem specific to this restaurant and we were warmly welcomed, but seeing the owner comments below I can tell that every little can make a difference, so there's a suggestion.

Good idea, particularly in such a seasonal location, to have an early meal arrangement, to get two potential uses of tables.

We had a great meal and I have to say that the spicy pumpkin (?) soup was out of this world - creamy, smooth but thick, hot, spicy and warming. Perfect after a windy autumn day.

I agree with a previous writer about the pork belly. It was beautifully presented, and the crackling was great, but the balance of fat versus meat was almost too overpowering for me. Maybe that's how it's meant to be, but it took the edge off for me.

The restaurant itself is very cosy(don't look for windows but do look at nice lights for example) and it's clear the owners have and do put a lot of effort into it. Very friendly, advice on other places to go - and a lot of walking for them in the course of the evening!

Thanks for a lovely visit. Thoroughly recommended as a location and a good value menu served by nice people.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Best Local Restaurant for High Quality Dining”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Delicious menu, cooked and presented to the highest standards, terrific value for money, great portion size and excellent customer service with nothing too much trouble. We eat all over the country and would recommend The Laughing Monk as being one of the best places of its kind. It's easy to park in this lovely Devon coastal village, and all-in-all it is a stress-free and highly pleasurable experience.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous restaurant”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recommend this as an excellent all round eating experience- wonderful well presented food to suit all tastes with friendly helpful and sensitive service in relaxing atmosphere.

“A note to the owner”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Hi. I found your restaurant through Google and decided to check reviews on Tripadvisor before making a booking. The majority of reviews are excellent. Can I gently point out that your responses to the few grumbles are more likely to put me off a visit than the grumbles themselves. Please take a deep breath, ignore the comments, and concentrate on your obviously fabulous restaurant. I found your responses patronising and sarcastic, and you are not doing yourself any favours by reacting in such a way. If your customers feel unable to air their views at the time (so you can deal with them there and then) then rise above.

2 Thank Makeitasgoodasyoucan
benh1chef, Owner at The Laughing Monk Restaurant, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your recent review and comments. We find Tripadvisor to be a good marketing tool and it does help our business to a certain degree. However hard work, countless hours, excellent customer care and years of experience is what really makes us a good restaurant. So when someone writes a negative review about our restaurant without really thinking about what they are saying it can be upsetting. I try not to take it too seriously and whilst I thank every single person who has taken the time to write a positive review, I urge anyone else who is thinking of visiting us please give us a try and we promise to do our best to make your visit one to remember. Thanks!!!
Toddington, United Kingdom
“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Lovely restaurant. Really fresh food, excellently prepared.
Good value wine list.
Totally unpretentious.
A real joy, we went twice in a week.
Highly recommended.