“Hidden gem nestled between two giants”

Benoa Beach Front Villas & Spa
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed May 9, 2014

These charming villas are nestled between 2 large hotels, the Conrad and a new hotel currently under construction. Unlike the sparkling, sterility of bigger hotels this little place oozed rustic charm and quaintness. This narrow property consisted of individual Balinese style villas strategically dotted throughout beautiful tropical gardens and each one veers off a constantly curving path so there is a new delight to discover around each corner. The villas were accessible through traditional beautifully carved Balinese doors which lead into a large room. The bed was very comfortable and the water in the shower was mostly hot so it fulfilled all of our requirements. The pool is small but lovely and the big plus is that it is surround by lovely shady tropical trees so you can enjoy the pool longer without fears of being burnt to a crisp under the hot tropical sun. We ate a few meals in the restaurant and found every one of them to be delicious. Breakfast options were limited compared to the big hotels but again, the food was delicious.

At the time of writing this review, there is a hotel being constructed next to the Benoa so if you don’t mind a bit of construction noise, I would recommend you give the Benoa a go.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ymint

Reviewed April 20, 2014

A friend and I stayed at in the Ocean Suite room for 3 nights in April, and enjoyed our stay at the resort.

Our room was huge with twin beds, a side table with 2 chairs, a wardrobe, a dresser and a 2 seater bench. The wardrobe had a safe, robes, slippers and a large umbrella. The only downside was that the lighting was very low in the room so it was quite depressing atmosphere – might be romantic for those who like it that way I guess.

The bathroom was equally big with a separate shower and bathtub, and the usual toiletries. Surprisingly hand towels were not provided but just bath towels.

The breakfast provided is very basic – fresh fruit, cereals, variety of croissants, toast as well as eggs on request. The best thing is that the beach is just a 2-3 min walk from the resort. The beach is very clean and basic, with some basic water sports available.

The resort is very close to the Denpasar airport – maximum 30min taxi ride costing around 75,000 Rupiah. Distance to Kuta market and Rock Bar is around 40min by taxi, roughly 85,000 Rupiah. There are plenty of bars, shops and restaurants walking distance from the resort - walk to the right once you leave the resort.

Do note that the resort is in the midst of greenery so carry mosquito repellent!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Madancer
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights before heading home. The price of the room was quite affordable in comparison to the surrounding hotels. Our room was in the deluxe suite close to the front office. The room was huge! Upon first entering it appeared clean and comfortable. It's an older hotel and not as "prestige" as some of the other hotels but it was all we needed. The toilet ran a little bit, the shower was a bit grubby and the towels/sheets were a bit " off white" but it's Asia and it really wasn't that terrible. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was attentive and polite. We attempted the outdoor breakfast only to find it covered in ants... Again that's typical here in some spots in Asia. The location of this hotel is perfect so that it did not take long for us to wander down the beach to find a good meal and cheap massage! This hotel was extremely quiet and comfortable. I think if your looking for a clean affordable hotel it's perfect!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheOnlyGendy
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was large with beautiful gardens and outlook over pool and beach. It's an older hotel but still has the balinese character i was hoping for. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the beaches are among the nicest of this stretch of coast. Restaurant makes great juices and has good pastries. If you're looking for a quieter comfortable place - this is definitely it! Wil be back here next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the beach view room. It's right behind the pool and you can truly see the beach from you...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank marlene602013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good value for money. The room was clean and large and the I liked the outdoor shower. The front desk clerk named Wayan was very friendly and helpful and wrote to us after our stay. The bed and pillows were very soft and comfortable to sleep in.
The Balinese garden surrounding the Villas were beautiful. This is best for couples who want to be in a quiet area ( although there is a new hotel being constructed beside this property) and far from the busy area of Kuta.
You can't expect much from the restaurant though.

Room Tip: choose the rooms near the beach rather than the ones near the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank fini88
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A whole bunch of us had booked rooms there because my cousin was getting married at Conrad next door. Turned out to be one of our worst experiences because everyone checked out after one night, and some didn't want to stay at all. Some of us managed to get a partial refund, and some didn't bother. They moved straight to Conrad while we moved to The Royal Eighteen at Kuta. I wouldn't compare with the Conrad since it's obviously a different league. But I paid the same price for The Royal Eighteen and we felt so relieved we escaped from the horrid Benoa Beach Front.

I had read mixed reviews so I had already lowered my expectations. Yet, the experience was so bad I just didn't care about losing my money. Here is why...

Right at the entrance, where the reception was, is infested with mosquitoes. So, you'd better equip yourself with lots of mosquito repellant. There are only two places that offer WIFI - reception and restaurant and both are infested with mosquitoes. However, the mosquitoes don't seem to attack men, big burly men especially. But all of us girls walked away with a dozen bites on our legs. The reception area doesn't have a single bin too.

Our room wasn't ready yet so we dropped off our luggage in my sister's room. The room was big and had a toilet with no door. They were joking about how the room would stink. It's odd how the twin room didn't have a toilet door while our couple rooms had doors. The shower was outdoor, which no one would ever use because most of the time, we were just trying to close the doors asap so mosquitoes wouldn't enter. The indoor bath tub was old and dirty. I definitely wouldn't wanna lie there. The flush was faulty. After flushing once, the water would just flow non-stop. It happened for all 3 rooms I was in. I managed to fix it but it would get stuck the next time I used it. And bcos the flush wasn't strong enough, all the toilet paper just got stuck there.

I returned to the hotel late at night hoping to get a shower and rest, only to end up upset and drained. The place was dark and creepy we couldn't find our room. I had paid for a garden villa, which cost about 15USD more than a normal suite, but found that the garden villa was actually smaller than the normal suite, only that it came with a small courtyard we wouldn't even step into. The garden villa also didn't have the slippers and robes that were provided in the normal suite. The floor was greasy I don't know why. We stepped into the shower and found a spider web hanging from the shower. The bath soap were in reusable ceramic bottles not closed tightly. I don't even know how long had this room not been used, so I definitely didn't dare touch those.

After a long wait, the water was still cold so I called the reception and was told I had to let the water flow for 5 minutes. It finally warmed up, but I felt like I was wasting water. After the bath, we came out perspiring, that was when I realised the air-con was faulty. It was almost midnight and my kids were tired, yet we couldn't sleep. We called the reception who came in to fiddle with the remote control, as if it would help, then he got his colleague who did the same thing. When they finally concluded the air-con was faulty, I was so sick of it, I wanted out immediately. He said he was just a security guard and that I would have to speak to the manager about the refund. They had no more twin garden villas so I had to downgrade to the suite, which was actually better.

The suite had a spider web with a dead spider in it. It was stuck on the unopened toilet roll. The bath tub was also dirty. The next morning I found a cockroach in the toilet. I couldn't sleep all night cos I was so upset by the experience and the toilet flush wouldn't stop so it was very noisy. Luckily our double bed had a net to block out the mosquitoes.

Security is a big issue too. Before we arrived, they actually allowed my cousin to enter all our rooms to place gifts in them. Is that legal?!?! What if it was an enemy who was going to place a bomb? The doors are very old wooden doors that are latched from inside. Outside, it is locked by a padlock. Meaning, anyone can lock you up in your own room and you wouldn't be able to escape. The latched door still has a gap so mosquitoes can come in and people can peep in and anyone with a knife can just chop in open. Plus the place is soooo dark and open, anyone can sneak in!

The next morning we skipped breakfast, but my sister who went was bitten by mosquitoes and ants. We asked for a refund and we managed to refund the remaining nights we had booked. Our other friends weren't as lucky though. The staff was friendly and helpful in helping us with the refund. Apart from the good service, there is no other redeeming factor about this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother to get the garden villa. Suites are good enough. I mean if you really need to stay...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank June L
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband & I, really liked this nice older style, villa. The Balinese style rooms were large, clean & cool rooms, with a separate bathroom with a shower over the bath or a private outside shower. The rooms are set in beautiful gardens, with a garden path leading to the open resturant which looks onto the beach & the many water activities happening. My husband enjoyed sitting there with the free wifi, watching the world go by. It has a small pool for tourists & a tiny pool in the garden for turtles, they were so cute. The Benoa is tucked between the huge Conrad & a building site which in another year will be another huge hotel. The staff are very helpful, young & happy, Nitty overseaing & looking after Resturant.
Breakfast was Continental, Indonesion & Americian & when a few more guest were arrived they set up the breakfast bar with a few more goodies included. Over our 13 day stay we had lunch & dinner at the resturant, the food was excellant. What could be improved? The spa prices were too, expensive, when over the road near the Ibis, you could have an hour massage for $6. The bed was hard as rock & the towels were a bit thin. But It was in walking distance or a quick taxi ride from many hotels & resturants. They have a 12.00 check out time, then they looked after our bags & gave us a room to change in before leaving at 8.30 for the airport, which was great. Would we stay there again? YES!

Room Tip: A lot of the rooms near th constuction site was being referbed. Rooms closer to the beach, would s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple