“Absolutely Fantastic!”

Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed March 13, 2009

My wife and I, along with two of our friends have just returned from the Grand Mirage and all I can say was that it was FANTASTIC. We had a superb time and were really looked after by all the staff. Any problems we had (and there were very few) were very quickly dealt with. The room we had was a deluxe romantic room and whilst it may not have had every amenity possible, it was thoroughly cleaned every day and was very comfortable. I read quite a few reviews about how pathetic the baths and showers were, however both mine and my friends had showers that almost pushed you through the screen due to their power! The only thing I can grumble about was the speed with which the bath and sink emptied and that was hardly a problem I was going to be bothered about!
The food was excellent at the buffet cafe and was both tasty and fresh. They serve oriental and western dishes daily. We ate at all of the restaurants and only found the Italian themed one a bit iffy. The food was still good and extremely well presented; just the atmosphere was a bit duff. We did however make the mistake of eating at Chopsticks at the Club Mirage and I definitely would recommend avoiding it! I was toilet bound for 24hrs almost immediately after eating there and I normally have the intestinal system of a mountain goat!
The grounds are immaculate and the pictures on T.A. just don’t do them justice. The pool was cleaned daily along with the beach. There is a sea swimming area that’s clearly roped off but it's not worth taking your snorkelling kit as the bottom is sandy with sea grass patches. You’re pretty much left in peace whilst sunbathing on the beach as the beach hawkers stay near the waterline. They're really nice and if your haggling skills are any good, there's some great bargains to be had on sarongs and such like. There was one guy who was selling crossbows but for some strange reason, didn't seem to be doing much trade!
All inclusive guests have 30mins of free internet time per day but the staff don’t exactly clock watch. You can purchase 24hrs of Wi Fi for about £10 which was more than ample for me. There’s also a gym for the lunatics that cant switch off and relax and a karaoke room for the tone deaf :-D
The main purpose for me in staying at the Grand Mirage was to get married and in the respect, the hotel excelled. Again, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and my wife and I were totally blown away with the wedding venue.
So, to sum it up - would I return? IN A HEARTBEAT!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aqua0

Reviewed March 13, 2009

Just returned after a wonderful time. We were a bit worried about the negative reviews but we shouldnt have worried. Our friends got married here and the whole day was perfect. The rooms and food are all excellent ( no upset tums etc) Every member of staff go out of thier way to be friendly and they dont expect tips. One tiny complaint there is a lot of Russian guests who are rude and noisy. We would def return to this hotel. Any questions feel free to contact me. Ps go all inclusive if possible there is loads included ie laundry service room service premium drinks water sports beach massages and $140 spa voucher each. Some guests did say the food and drink was expensive.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank merlinpedro
Reviewed February 4, 2009

The Grand Mirage in Bali was more than we expected. The rooms were well styled and ours had a lovely ocean view from the balcony. The hotel is large, clean and well decorated. There are a large variety of restaurants serving everything from Italian to a grill on the beach. I was very impressed with the quality of the food and its variety. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. It's hard not to find a couple of the staff who you warm to and they bend over bcakwards to make sure your stay is both a pleasnat and enjoyable one. Ayu a waitress would ensure our glasses were always full when sunbathing and she was genuinely upset when we left after our two weeks there. Baliu is cheap and there are a few local out to make a quick buck so to speak, but overall they were freiendly and helpful which is all you can ask. The sea wasn't the best thing about it as it was shallow for quite a way, there was a lot of weed and the ground uneven etc. The entertainment was very good and once again varied. There is a small group of guys there who sing in one of the bars, from Java... they do everything from Clapton to the Gypsy Kings and after my visit even a few Bowie songs. The weather was great and i much preferred Nusa Dua to the more tourist areas which were a little too much at times..

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dunny0578
Reviewed January 18, 2009

my partner and myself spent 2 weeks in the beautiful nusa dua peninsula in Bali. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the people both in the hotel and the Balinese are all very accommodating and friendly.

The hotel was quite large yet you got the chance to get to know the staff and the personal service provided was excellent. The restaurants served a lot of Indonesian and Asian cuisine, all to a very high quality and All Inclusive was a must as we got a great choice of cocktails food and extra services provided.

My partner thoroughly enjoyed the spa which was way beyond expectations and provided a large range of treatments for great value in a serene setting.

outside of the hotel, the beach was really nice and the sea warm. The local attractions included the various shopping precincts including Bali Collection which is worth a visit especially if weather is a bit drab. Also hired a driver for the day for about £50 who took us to Ayung River for white water rafting and Elephant Riding as well as showing us some of the islands art centre's where they carve wood sculptures and painted.

All in all a great holiday whether you just want to relax, see some history and culture or do watersports.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mullins1
Reviewed January 8, 2009

we booked to stay in the ocean view suites at the grand mirage on an all inclusive basis... on arrival we were disappointed with the simple and old reception area - though i guess somewhat authentic. we were shown to our rooms efficiently, which were spacious and very traditional. the description of the suites on their website states that these include a dining table - which we wanted as there was a large group of us. no dining table - and when i asked the manager, i was told that only 1 of the suites has this and this is why they state this on their website?!?!

anyway the rooms were ok, but a lot of mosquitoes so we had to buy a spray to keep them away. the first night we all got at least 4 bites whilst sleeping. the bathrooms are huge, sadly the bath and shower are poor. the shower dribbles, with more water spraying across onto the shower wall than down onto you, and the bath dribbles even slower taking 40MINUTES to fill half up?! when we complained we were told that this was normal... Halfway through the holiday, the shower head fell onto my brothers head when he switched on the shower. When we called the manager, we were informed that this was not through any fault of theirs, and that it was likely due to his height - which is less than 6ft?! they begrudgingly apologised and fixed it the following day...

ok the electricity... i took my hairdrier with me, as i do everywhere... within about a minute of turning it on the electrics blew!!! several hours later the maintenance team turned up at the door, and decided that it was due to the hairdrier and said i could not use it. after several arguments they provided me with an alternative hairdrier, which subsequently caused a power cut everytime that or a kettle was turned on! no more than an apology and blame on the original hairdrier... not at all impressive...

the food is ok, nothing to shout out about. however we all got diarrhoea and stomach aches after the first day, so i will let you decide if this was due to the food... the menus were pretty basic but i suppose this may be expected... the drinks were ok, the cocktails good, and no complaints here...

the swimming pool looks bigger than it is, and for half the day it is occupied by aquaaerobics and volleyball, so there is not much room to swim in it. the bit that remains free is 1.6m deep, so this is not so good for kids... it was difficult to get sunbeds if you went down after 9am, but the pool staff were happy to remove towels from unoccupied beds - which is good if u are looking for a bed, but not if you have left your bed for a few mins...

overall? i guess you get what you pay for but i would not recommend this hotel at all. the staff are delightful and do what they can to help. but it needs to refurbished and their electrics and water need serious sorting out...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank clairesweets
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I stayed in a deluxe, ocean view room at the Grand Mirage over Christmas/New Year on the all-inclusive, 'gold', ‘internet special' package booked directly with the hotel.

The room was very good (more ocean 'glimpses' than 'view') with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. Housekeeping kept it spotless; and in general, the bar, food and laundry services were excellent.

However, it seems they have two types of all-inclusive 'gold' packages: the internet special (which I booked), and the regular, 'gold' package (which does not include as many amenities/'perks'). For example, part of my package was a full day, island tour with lunch. When I enquired about booking it, I was told "tours are not included". After much discussion and showing the assistant manager the website, I got my tour... only to find out on the tour that the guide expected me to pay for lunch (I didn't but the guide had to make many phone calls to get it straightened out). Cigarettes were also included, but every time I went to get a pack, I was told they weren't - this went on for my whole, ten-day stay. It seems the staff (and even some management) were not informed there are two different types of 'gold' all-inclusive packages. At times, it was quite frustrating!

In hindsight, I would not book an all-inclusive package again - there's no incentive to leave the hotel and do things. All-inclusive is convenient but expensive - you have to consume a lot (even at inflated 'hotel' prices) to make it worthwhile.

Would I stay at the Grand Mirage again? Sure... but only in a 'room with breakfast'.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank cruisemonkey
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I and my wife stayed at the Grand Mirage Resort this November. I must say it was a thoroughly satisfying experience right from the beginning. We were upgraded to the Romantic Ocean View room on arrival. We did have to wait for some time while the room was readied; in the meantime we were given our welcome drinks. The whole staff and I mean each and everyone we interacted with was very very friendly.

The room was good - neat, clean and spacious. It had a balcony which faced the ocean on one side and the pool on another. The hotel itself is huge and beautifully landscaped. There is a waterfall, lots of greenery and lots of sculptures. It has its own private beach (although it is not too clean and hence going into the water wasn’t possible), water sports, pools, game rooms, spa, etc.

We can’t comment much on the food since we did not have any meals there except the breakfast, which was a buffet. It was good and had sufficient choice. The other meals too were buffets but the price was on the higher side. But this was more than compensated by the numerous decently priced restaurants bang opposite grand mirage.

All in all it was a pleasurable experience and I would recommend the place to anyone whether they are going for their honeymoon or with a group of friends or with their families.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Melia Bali
Melia Bali
#15 of 54 in Nusa Dua
The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali

Been to Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali? Share your experiences!