“Aging gracefully”

Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed September 15, 2013

In July 2013 I stayed at the Grand Mirage before and after a 10 day liveaboard dive trip. I had stayed here a few years ago, and decided to stay here again based on my past memories and recent reviews here. The staff was VERY helpful with answering my questions online, and with reservations.

The rooms were as lovely as I remembered (even if floor creaked a bit) and they even accommodated my move request due to noise below my balcony. The bed was very comfortable. Listening to the waves, and the ocean view, made me sigh with enjoyment. The desk set up and wifi connections worked fine. I had room service one night and it was great and convenient.

The pool area was nice, though busy, and you do have to get out by the beach quickly to snag a lounge chair, but I was prepared as I'd read to do so on TA. Most chairs came in pairs under an umbrella with a small table, and some were under native trees, quite lovely. The breakfast buffet included was nice, but again very busy. You might have to wait in line for the egg station!

There is a western style mall called The Bali Collection nearby, and a shuttle stopped at the hotel on an hourly basis to and from here. I did some shopping for Bali souvenirs...not like the rustic markets in Ubud but adequate and there was even a grocery store for snacks and such. It suited my needs for trouble free access and stress free shopping.

Only slight complaint was trying to have dinner in the restaurant one night. I waited so long after ordering and was so tired I finally gave up and went to my room!

All in all, for the value compared to the Westin, etc. up the street, it suited me and I would return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far left (if you are facing the ocean) are quieter, if a slightly longer walk to hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Mr. Shawnabbt,

Thank you for your compliments toward our beautiful resort. Your review and tips will definitely be valuable for our future guests.

Once again, I thank you for staying with Grand Mirage. I am looking forward to welcoming you in the next holiday!

Juan A. Sanchez, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali

Write a ReviewReviews (3,403)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed for 4 days mid Sep some really great points and some that need addressing.
Room was great and very spacious , bed was lovely and comfortable and power shower easily one of the best I have ever used , however Pool towels were much better than bathroom towels , they seemed a bit worn.
Pool area was fine , but there seemed to be a really high proportion of smokers even at the swim up bar , never saw a Life-guard all the time we were there.
Beech is lovely and loads of water sports.
Really appreciated the Breakfast Box as we checked out early , it was fantastic and really won me over - Muffins , Cookies , Fruit , Bolied Egg , juice napkins , salt n pepper , and toothpick - Brilliant
Don't try and buy a postage stamp for a post-card in the shop in the foyer it nearly caused WW3 -

Great hotel if you are all inclusive with family and kids - Bali can be expensive if you are not

Stayed: September 2013

Dear Mr. Kevin L,
Thank you for your constructive feedback. It is a pleasure to learn that you had a great stay in Grand Mirage Resort. I do apologize for the smoking problem, but the swim up bar is a restricted-non smoking area. The department head will train the staff on procedure to reinforce this to the guests.

Your comment regarding our towels has been discussed with the respective department heads and we have done a corrective measure to avoid this problem happening again. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for spending a vacation with us. I look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We just got back from spending two weeks at the Grand Mirage...and our stay was perfect!!! The Grand Mirage was excellent for both relaxing and offering excursions when you want (we recommend the 3 island day tour). The place is so big, we never felt crowded...it was also a nice mix of nationalities and ages. We did the all inclusive and we are so happy we did. Great selection of food and drinks -- we never once heard at the resort the something wasn't in the AI plan. It made for such a stress-free stay. But, on top of all this, what made our stay was the wonderful staff! They are so friendly and helpful, with a special thanks to Bayu, Fira, Edy, and Kristina. It was hard to leave.

3  Thank danamichelek
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is our first experience with Grand Mirage and with Bali in general, so probably much of what I intend to write is known for regular visitors. However for those that don't know much about the hotel and the surrounding area, I will try to be as detailed as possible.

THE HOTEL
*Territory
Grand Mirage is indeed a beautiful hotel. The beach, pool, parks, rooms and lobby are made to delight visitors eyes.

*Rooms
Yes, our room also had a specific smell. But it is not something to complain about as it is normal that in such humid areas such things happen. One should just try to keep the balcony door closed at all times and the air condition on.
Yes, the rooms are outdated. But again it is not something to complain about as the humidity destroys everything in no time, and if they would renovate the rooms each year, the prices would be definitely much higher.
The bed is huge. It is not one entire bed, but rather two beds put together. As read in other comments some people disliked this, but for us it was not at all bothersome.
Other facility included a medium size flat screen TV (that was programmed to shut down every I don't know how many minutes if one doesn't use the remote control), telephone, safe, hair dryer, an electric kettle and a mosquito repellent.

*Cleanliness
The rooms are indeed clean. In the morning, when we walked by the rooms while they were being cleaned we realized that the hotel's management finds cleanliness a very important factor for their reputation. There are teams of people that clean one single room and they do it as if it were their own home. You can leave a total mess, and it will be gone by noon. The only personal belonging that they touched were the shoes. They were always arranged when we were back from the beach. In rest, you will have to be responsible of how you leave your clothes, books and other stuff as they will be left untouched.
The bath towels were changed minimum twice a day. Meaning that they were changed once at noon, and in the evening someone will approach you and ask if you need fresh towels. In order to save the environment we never accepted this kind offer :D
No matter how hard we tried to keep our feet clean, we still brought sand in our room, which again would be gone by noon.
In conclusion: The rooms was kept very clean. We tipped them every day.

*Pool
The pool was very nice. The water was warm, clean, not too many people in it. Me personally prefer bigger pools. However, swimming in this pool from one side to another got me a little tired. So I think it is ok.
The seats at the pool are the first ones to get occupied. However, at around 8.30 in the morning there is still a lot of option for one to choose. It is later when people come to the pool.
One particular thing I think I should mention. I usually swim with my eyes opened in pools. This was actually the first time that my eyes had to suffer from this. I saw everything blurry for one whole day, and only a good night sleep made it go away. So I do recommend wearing goggle glasses.

* The Beach
If you decide to take a walk on the beach road that connects all the beaches of the hotels from Tanjung Benoa and Nusa Dua, you will realize that the Grand Mirage beach is the widest, the best managed and the most beautiful of all Tanjung Benoa (however we did not walk too far :D).
High and low tide. The high tide is in the morning up until noon. So do profit of the possibility to swim in it, as after 13 - 14 o'clock you will only get to walk on it. Which I must say its not a bad experience. We managed to walk up to the coral reefs. If you decide to do this, have some good shoes. I would say that it should be a mandatory condition. There were a lot of sea urchins (this type of urchins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadema_antillarum ), and there are lots of places where you can get splinters.
The beach itself was kept clean. Because of the low and high tide there are a lot of algae left on the shore which is cleaned every morning. I consider to be stupid to complaint that because of the algae the beach is dirty, but I guess every person has its own understanding of what nature is. Also, there are occasional cigarette butts in the sand (even though there are plenty of ashtrays on the beach), but this speaks only about the education level of the tourists and not the cleanliness of the beach.
Regarding the availability of sunbeds - one can always find a free sunbed on the beach at anytime. At least that was our experience.

*Service
The service was good. Everyone was nice and friendly. However I found the service outside the hotel to incomparably better if it can get any better. But I will explain this later.

*Food
We did not have all inclusive, so I don't know how food was in general. But regarding breackfast - me personally, I did not like it.

*Prices
Prices at the hotel are high. Ok, maybe they do choose the best food, and check and recheck it before serving it to clients, but they surely don't ckeck and recheck the fuel they put in cars.. So why one trip from the hotel is 3 times higher than in other places still remains a mystery.
Also one important thing to note. We decided to go diving, and as it is not as easy as playing in the sand, we decided to pay more (much more) and take the diving offered by the hotel (in order to ensure that we will be taken care of, someone will be responsible for us, the instruction will be better, etc.). It is not as we expected. It seemed that the hotel does not have a diving facility, so what they did is charge us with 70 USD per person and send us to some outside team that took us diving (which when asked how much they really charge for diving they said that they dont know haha). It was our first time diving so we had no idea what to do. The instruction was about 7 minutes, with no mention regarding the fact that one does not have to hold his/her breath when ascending back to the surface as your lungs can explode. But again - this was our own experience.

*Activities
Tanjung Benoa is famous for its water sports. So do profit from that. I don't know the prices at the hotel, but there are plenty of people on the beach offering everything your soul could want. The prices are negociable.
The hotel has an entertainment room with two pool tables, one table tenis, movies, Wii, etc. Everything well maintained and in good quality, so do try it.

OUTSIDE THE HOTEL
* Restaurants
Everywhere you turn you will see a restaurant and a spa. For those that did not take all inclusive these would be your optins:
- If you walk to the right of the hotel you will find Glaze and Bali Cardamon. These are sister restaurants, with similar menu and prices. The first looks more modern the second more traditional. Good food. Prices a little higher than in other places, but you have a huge menu to choose from. Do take the desert plate (a plate with various Balinese deserts).
- In front of the hotel you will see La Skala. we only ate there once at lunch. It was a little bit too salty. For some reason we did not return.
- To the left of the hotel:
Casa Bella - simple design, simple menu, the best service in Tanjung Benoa, prices are smaller than in other places.
2Day Cafe - food is good, prices are average to high, service ok.
Paon Beachclub - the most beautiful setting on Tanjung Beanoa! The prices are ok but the service was bad.
Tropical Bali - we did not try it in Tanjung Benoa, but in Nusa Dua. Great service, great food, great prices.
- For lunch we usually walked on the beach road until we reached Kind Villa Hotel and ate at their beach restaurant. Nice, quiet, great service, good food and good prices.
- We consider a good price for lunch when we spent up to 20-25 USD and for dinned up to 40 USD for both of us (with drinks and not always deserts).

*Spa
The hotel charges high prices for their spa, but maybe there is a reason for that. I tried a massage for 60 000 IDR outside the hotel (I dont remember the name, but at every 5 meters you have a spa with such prices). The massage was good, but I did not liked the place as I found it to be too dirty.
If you walk to the right from the hotel, next to Glaze restaurant there is The Home Spa. The pace is very nice and clean. The prices are twice as high as compared to other places, but you feel here like in a real spa, but not in someones kitchen. However I did not like the massage. It was too hard for me. But this is my own personal preference. However, if you want to try any spa treatment, this would be the place I would recommend to go.
I regret not trying the massage from the hotel. Maybe this is indeed the case you get what you payed for. Probably I would have liked it much better than what I experienced. I do not know.

*Being safe
Mosquito. Use mosquito repellent spray/cream at all times (24/7). That is what we did and we did not even hear a bzz. This is done in order to prevent dengue fever and possible malaria (though not so prevalent in Bali).
Dogs and monkeys. Rabies is a problem in Bali, so try not to touch animals no matter how sweet they look :(
Safety on the streets. We felt safe at all times. Nothing gave us even a small hint of danger. Except for one big BUT - look under your feet! Look where you are walking as you can easily disappear in a hole in the road :D
Traffic. I would not advice renting any transportation mean for any tourist to drive. The traffic is crazy. However I believe you will figure this out for yourself while driving from the airport to the hotel. Travelling by taxi is cheap. Also, you can agree with the drivers from your favorite restaurant to come pick you up and take to whatever place you want for a similar taxi price.

*People
Balinese people are the nicest people we ever met. It is nice brought to its extremes. And thanks to this factor, Bali is indeed the best place to travel to. However many tourists are a*******. Very unfriendly, too demanding, they feel as if everybody owes then something - especially Balinese people. As one Balinese man told us, Russians can easily leave the restaurant without paying if there was something they did not like, and the waiter/ress has to pay their consumption out of their 150 USD monthly salary.
So please do not take advantage of their kindness. It is something to respect and not to discourage.

*Excursions
We booked a trip to the North of Bali with Dean http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297701-d3263432-Reviews-Bali_with_Dean-Ubud_Bali.html
It was a great day, so I would really recommend to try and discover Bali as a whole and not the fake Nusa Dua or the hotel teritory :D

Wish you all a nice holiday!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2251 with ocean view. It is on the second floor. We saw the ocean through the tree...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Maria S

Dear Mrs. Maria S.,

Thank you for your shared insights in tripadvisor.com. Your tips would be much beneficial for our future guests, and we do appreciate it. It is an honor for us to be at your service during your romantic vacation.

If you would like to book our resort for the next holiday, I would suggest you to book directly through our website, grandmirage.com, where attractive inclusions are provided, such as free voucher $60 of Devdan Show, an aerial show of Indonesian Culture, for minimum 12 night stay with all inclusive (terms and conditions apply).

Once again, thank you very much for residing with us, I would be delighted to welcome you again!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

we stayed here in august 2013. we had a great stay here. would recommend staying here, we had no problems, the staff were great, always happy and helpful. the rooms were fine, spacious enough for the 3 of us. we will/are definitely coming back. although the area is slightly out of the way, it is so much nicer and quieter..come October when the new freeway opens, this will open up the travel times heaps..

Room Tip: probably recommend the garden rooms if you need quiet sleep
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Mr. 464AlanH,

It is a pleasure for us to be at your service last month. Your compliment is already transmitted to our staff and it motivates them. Thank you for staying with us. I am contented to welcome you again in your next holiday in Bali.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We went there for our first anniversary and had a wonderful time . The staff is warm and friendly , the location is great and the private beach is very well maintained. The breakfast spread is very good. We would highly recommend the place .

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Mr. Sudeshna R.,

It is an honor for us to be at your service on your first anniversary. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am more than grateful to learn that your special stay was outstanding. I hope I will see you again in your next holiday.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel is a very good place to stay if your coming to Bali for a variety of thing specially for relaxing and chilling out for me 11 out of 10 one think do change your money at home change it in Bali as you get a better deal

• Stayed: September 2013
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Mr. Paul C.,

It is a pleasure for us to welcome you for the second time. Thank you for choosing us again to be part of your special holiday.

Your excellent feedback is greatly appreciated. See you again in your next holiday!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
#5 of 26 in Tanjung Benoa
Novotel Bali Benoa
Novotel Bali Benoa
#6 of 26 in Tanjung Benoa

Been to Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali? Share your experiences!